JET AFS1000 Air Filtration System

JET AFS1000: Dust In...Air Out

Jun 1, 2002

Pros:remote control, easily installed, good filtering, timer

Cons:limited area covered - next largest system is $200 more

The Bottom Line: You could buy another system, from another manufacturer...if you like to spend more money.

I am really very happy that the new “add a product” feature seems to be moving along quite rapidly. In fact, within hours of requesting an air filtration product be added to the “Shop Tools” area, there it was in all its glory. Now I say this as an important introduction to my review and not simply to earn some brownie points with the category leads (although, ladies, if you’re reading…). An air filtration system is an important piece of equipment in a woodshop, and the more sawdust you find yourself creating, the more integral a filtration system becomes.

Why This JET?
JET tools (www.jettools.com) has a number of excellent air filtration systems, but the AFS-1000 represents a nice middle-of-the-road entry in the field, coming with enough extras to warrant it more than a beginning model, but not sized for a substantial, commercial-sized woodshop. This one is ideal, really, for many self-employed woodworkers and for hobbyists with their own shop space and several stationary tools.

Advised by the manufacturer to clean and circulate air in a 20’x20’x8’ shop in five minutes, weighing just over 50 pounds, this system does what it promises and installs nicely in a matter of 60 minutes. Eye bolts are included for hanging and positioning should be governed by the locale of sawdust-producing tools in your shop. In my case, the unit hangs at the center rear of my shop, positioned strategically behind my table saw and just off center from my jointer. I know of some fellow woodworkers who actually employ this one by sitting it on a workbench. (Most of these individuals do so because they operate the filtration system in conjunction with their dust collection system.) If this is your utilization of choice, there are recessed areas on each side for better gripping and lifting.

Further adding to the beauty of this baby is the presence of a remote control for easy on/off operating. The body is a nice coated metal and retains its bright ivory-colored paint after two years of use in my shop.

Operation
One of the first things many may ask is, “is it noisy?” My first, gut response: “does it matter?” Considering you’re mounting this one in the midst of a shop that I’m certain is filled with noise-producing tools the noise factor really is not much of a factor. That said, wouldn’t you know this runs very quiet. I compare the sound produced to that of a small sized dehumidifier running. So while you probably don’t care too much about noise – considering the tools are noisy and you may be wearing ear protection anyway – it is relatively quiet should you be doing some designing and reading rather than working in your shop.

Particles are captured courtesy of two filters, the first electrostatic version is said to capture “98%” of particles up to 5 microns in size, the second micron filter set up to capture”85%” of particles as small as one micron. The filters are easily replaced, no tools required and many package deals are offered which include a set of replacement filters. In addition, packaging will advise you that the inner filter can be rinsed out and re-used and my experience can attest to this fact (what can I say – I’m a bit cheap).

A timer enables programmed running in increments of 2, 4, or 8 hours - nice to save on some electricity and avoid constant running, yet good for maintaining a clean environment. JET must have known that if left to the devices and memory of a saw dust maker the unit would not have been turned on too often.

Finally, this can be used in conjunction with a dust collection system. This is a feature I cannot completely attest to as I use a separate dust collection system but do not use the two in conjunction with one another. The benefits are obvious although set-up for such a system may include some fairly more in depth wiring and dealing with hoses.

Use
I am a huge proponent of air filtration systems. I know that when one is dying for the latest router (okay, when I am dying for the latest router), and when there is so much wood to be purchased, buying something like an air filtration system does not have the same glamour as a table saw. Yet, having spent my life in woodworking, inhaling more than enough air born particles, I can only imagine what inhaling countless more particles could do to my lungs. I am so not a fatalist, but I see an air filtration system as just another safety measure in a shop – consider it something akin to wearing eye and ear protection. Because the cost is nominal when considering what the cost of investing in a tool can be, I would place this on a list of “necessities” rather than simply an “option”.

________________________________________________
To utilize with a dust collection system you will need to purchase the JET JW1-44 adapter.

Should your shop be larger than the recommended guidelines for the AFS1000, JET’s AFS 2000 functions well in a room up to 40’x40’x10’. This one will run you about $ 200 more than the AFS 1000.

Also note that when shopping for this system the AFS 1000 uses that moniker with retailers – across the board in terms of the online and brick-and-mortar stores I’ve frequented. A visit to the jet tools website will find the unit referred to as AFS 1000b.

Jet Afs-1000b, 1000 Cfm Air Filtration System, 3 Speed, With Remote Control

Jet Afs-1000b, 1000 Cfm Air Filtration System, 3 Speed, With Remote Control

Constructed of a heavy-duty, powder coated metal box and powerful motor and fan for added durability AFS-1000B Comes standard with an electrostatic fi...

JET AFS1000B Air Filtration System,1000 CFM,115 V G8527075

JET AFS1000B Air Filtration System,1000 CFM,115 V G8527075

Air Filtration SystemYes Mount, Number of Speeds 3, Air Flow (CFM) 1000Voltage 1151 PhaseHeight (In.) 15, Width (In.) 26.2Length (In.) 32.5
Zoro

Jet 708620b Afs-1000b Air Filtration System + Remote Control

Jet 708620b Afs-1000b Air Filtration System + Remote Control

JET 708620B Air Filtration System + Remote Control Store Home Shop By Brands DeWalt Milwaukee Makita Bosch Hitachi Bostitch Porter Cable All Products ...

708620B AFS-1000B, 1,000 CFM Heavy-Duty Air Filtration System w/ Remote Control

Jet 708620B. Features: Disposable electrostatic outer filter attracts more dust particles than standard filters. Inner pocket filter is removable for ...
Jet 708620b Afs-1000b 3-speed 1000 Cfm Air Filtration System

Jet 708620b Afs-1000b 3-speed 1000 Cfm Air Filtration System

Jet 1000cfm Air Filtration System With Remote - Dust Collection > Air Filtration

Jet 708732 Afs-1b-wof Washable Electrostatic Outer Filter For 708620b Afs-1000b.

Jet 708732 AFS-1B-WOF Washable Electrostatic Outer Filter for 708620B AFS-1000B Air Filtration System Features Ideal washable filter for when a durabl...

Jet AFS-2000, 1,700 CFM Heavy-Duty Air Filtration System with Remote Control 708615

1,700 CFM Heavy-Duty Air Filtration System w/ Remote Control - 708615. Remote Control
CPO Jet