JET Jwp-12-4p 12 1/2" Wood Planer

Decent finish, but have seen better machines

Dec 18, 2003

Pros:Decent finish, little snipe

Cons:Loud, No depth of cut gauge, Excessive vibrations, VERY POOR customer support

The Bottom Line: Not Recommended. Jet needs to keep a better eye on manufacturing in Taiwan.

Generally, and with sharp knives, this machine performs well. As with any planer, I highly reccommend a dust collection system or a lot of brooms. These machines make a lot of shavings.

Having experience with larger (Newman) planers and several other small planers I have a few gripes(and a few praises) with this one:

**Depth of cut gauge**
Unfortunately, my model has no depth of cut gauge, which means figuring out where to start usually ends up with a pass or two that gets dangerously stopped in the planer due to too little friction or a quick adjustment up due to taking to much off. After much use you can start to "eyeball" it, but a gauge would have been very nice.

**Rollers on top**
Very neat idea, but they have been removed from my machine as they keep falling off.

**Excessive vibration**
The vibration is very bad on this, but you can not expect too much from a machine made for portability-you can't have both a portable machine and one that is heavy enough to dampen vibration. Additionally, the height adjustment crank tends to move during operation. This was solved with a cedar shim, but for what I paid, should I really have to do that?

**Excessive Noise**
This machine is very loud. Very, very loud. Do not even think of using it without ear protection (even though you should not use any tool without it, this one will deafen you, especially inside).

**Finish**
This machine does have a very nice finish with fresh blades, good feed rate and very little, if any, snipe. I have used it for planing a few hundred lineal feet of floor boards to making tapered legs for benches and have been quite happy with the results, just not the process(ie shifting height adjustment, vibration, etc)

**Jet in General**
Although Jet claims to maintain it's standards, you canreally see the difference in their products after moving operations to Taiwan. Even in Delta tools you can see the difference between their tools made in China and those made in USA.

I try as much as possible to buy tools made in the USA, as they tend to be better made and more durable.

If you are looking for a planer, remember not to go for the lightest, unless you really plan to carry it everywhere. This machine does a good job, but there are better ones out there.

Regarding this machine, I also had a run-in with Jet's customer support. A TERRIBLE experience. Regarding the vibration, rollers and height crank, they offered to repair it if I took it to the nearest repair facility-a two hour drive from my house. That is the short story, but the bottom line is that nothing was ever done and their support was terrible. Since then I have lost what little respect I have had for Jet, but still concur that some of their machines are worth buying-just maybe not this one.

15 in. Closed Stand Planer - 708538

Jet/asian Jwp-12 Wood Planer Operator's & Parts Manual 0378

Jet/asian Jwp-12 Wood Planer Operator's & Parts Manual 0378

Untitled Document Free, Fast Shipping Every Business Day! See All Categories How-to Books Lathe Practices Series Lathe Operations Milling Operations G...

JET Planer. 230-Volt 15 in. Planer with Quick Change Knives 708538

JET Planer. 230-Volt 15 in. Planer with Quick Change Knives 708538

Shop for Power Tools at The Home Depot. Every serious woodworker needs a player in the shop, but nobody likes to deal with the hassle of changing the ...
Home Depot

(3) JWP-16K Knife Set for JET 16 in. Planer - 708814
CPO Outlets

Powertec 128081 12-1/2-inch Planer Knives For Jet708522,jwp-12-4p,hss, Set Of 2

Powertec 128081 12-1/2-inch Planer Knives For Jet708522,jwp-12-4p,hss, Set Of 2

POWERTEC 128081 12-1/2-Inch Planer Knives for JET 708522, JWP-12-4P, HSS, Set of 2 Replacement blades for JET 708522: Fit JET 12.5 planer JWP-12-4-P ...

(3) JWP-16K Knife Set for JET 16 in. Planer - 708814

15 in. Closed Stand Planer - 708538
CPO Outlets

$1989.99

15 x 1 x 1/8 CT Planer Blades - Delta 380, Jet JWP-15, Grizzly, Powermatic, Most 15 Imports - Set of 3.

American National Knife Has Been Producing Professional Quality Woodworking Knives For Over 30 Years. Ourin-stock Inventory Of Planer And Jointer Kniv...
Jet 708807 JWP15HO-K 15 in. Planer Knives (3-Pack)

Jet 708807 JWP15HO-K 15 in. Planer Knives (3-Pack)

(3) JWP15HO-K 15 in. Planer Knives - 708807