JET Jwp-15cs 15" Wood Planers

Great 15 inch planer

Dec 7, 2003

Pros:Powerful machine. Durable enough for production work.

Cons:Heavy. Could use a thickness gage.

The Bottom Line: This is a great planer for production or serious home hobbyist work. Has the horsepower and durability required for serious planing.

I have used this planer in my home shop for 3 years without any major complaints. It is without question a sturdy and relatively bullet proof machine. I can easily take 1/8 of an inch pass in red oak in the widest boards I have tried. (about 12-14 inches). The motor does not appear to bog down at all.
This planer replaced my Delta 12" unit that served me well but was just too slow for me.
I compared this planer to the Delta 15" and with the cost difference, this planer made sense. I also had read good reviews of Jet products in general, and felt I could take the chance on something other than a Delta. Besides, both machines are built outside the U.S. so there was no benefit there.
The benefits of a 3 H.P. planer are obvious. You can take more wood off a board with less passes. As for construction, this unit is loaded with ball bearings. The machine required some initial setup/adjustment which requires one to make a block out of wood and use this as a height reference. I had mine made out of aluminum for perceived better accuracy. Ideally, the machine would be setup correctly at the factory. Maybe my unit was a fluke.
There are 2 complaints I have about this unit. First, on my unit the dust chute exits from the side and chips tend to clog because of this. I do remember reading a review that said a new modified dust chute was in the works.
Secondly, I wish the machine had some sort of accurate thickness gage. Maybe I could avoid making as many passes as I close in on that magical 0.75" mark.

Jet JWP-15DX, 15 in. Closed Stand Planer 708538

Jet JWP-15DX, 15 in. Closed Stand Planer 708538

CPO Jet

Tyler Tool

CPO Outlets

CPO Powermatic

Jet Jwp-dro Digital Readout For Planers 708520

Jet Jwp-dro Digital Readout For Planers 708520

CPO SEARCH SHOP BY CATEGORY Accessories Combo Kits Compressors Generators Cordless Tools Drills/Drivers Hand Tools Heavy-Duty Home Measuring Tools Met...

708538 JWP-15DX, 15 in. Closed Stand Planer

Jet 708538. Features: Cutter head with exclusive quick change knives that align themselves without any adjustment. Heavy-duty cast-iron and steel cons...

CPO Jet