-46%

JL Audio 500/1 Car Amplifier

GREAT SQ SUB AMP!

Oct 22, 2002

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Best Features ever seen! Best settings diagrams! Guaranteed output regardless of voltage change!

Cons:Not quite enough power for the greedy JL w7 sub...

The Bottom Line: Dominating SQ AM! No one can match the quality of engineering! Alan setscrews easily strip and are not replaceable! Huge flaw! The only amp better is the JL 1001! :)

This amp was awesome! But I had to upgrade from it to a more powerful amp.

I used a single JL Audio 10w7 sum and this amp was great... but not quite enough for me!

Then again I want to hit 151bd too!

If your satisfied with hitting 130-140 db then this amp will do you great!

IT has the best interface for wiring and settings and the fest feature set I've ever seen!

I have been doing this stuff for a loooong time and I tend to know what I'm doing.

I first hooked this baby up and I set the x-over and the gains and the parametric eq it has all for what I "thought" was right.

But, then I noticed on JL Audio's website they had a document for the "best" settings for each JL subs. So I looked up the settings for the JL 10w7 sub and then set them in the car. WOW! Sound Quality went through the roof! And SPL went up 9db!

Very impressive results. Also the amp has built in x-over not just for the sub it powers but it has a secondary line level out and x-over so you can take the signal from it to another amp!

I use a top of the line Eclipse deck with 8volt preamp outs. I run rca's straight to each amp separately.

I tried using this secondary out of this amp to go to my other amp and I lost no signal strength or signal quality! It was amazing!

This is a very impressive amp!

I highly recommend it for anyone!

And I especially recommend buying it on ebay. I got mine for $350 dollars new in a box!

I have only one complaint...

The alan wrench set screw they use to mount the power and speaker wires is trapped in the amp housing. They do this so you won't loose the screws, which is nice...
But! If you ever strip the alan head then you are totally screwed! No way to replace them! And not covered under warranty! They specifically state that they are not covered under warranty even! What a shifty engineering job! lol

The entire amp looks to be engineered by geniuses... except for this last thing!

Actually this amp was engineered by a pair of geniuses.

The first engineer was the head engineer from Precision Power (PPI) amplifiers from 1989-1995 won more championships then all other competitors combined! They have gone down in quality now but are still good.

The second guy was the the head engineer from XTANT who engineered their award winning line from 1996-1999. Now Xtant amps are only mediocre since MTX bought them.

They went to work for JL Audio in 2000 and now we have These great JL audio amps!

One Channel/Monoblock Two Channel Four Channel Multi-Channel Speakers Component Speakers Coaxial Speakers Midrange Speakers Tweeters Marine Audio Ampl...

A mono channel, high-output audio power and impressive design are the highpoints of Jl Audio 500/1 Car Amp. It delivers audio output up to 500 watts w...
Amplifiers One Channel/Monoblock Two Channel Four Channel Multi-Channel Speakers Component Speakers Coaxial Speakers Midrange Speakers Tweeters Marine...