JVC Everio GZ-HD300 Camcorder - Sapphire blue

Mar 1, 2011
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Battery Life:
  • Movie Quality:

Pros:Compact, excellent memory storage, decent picture quality, excellent zoom, great price, handles well

Cons:mediocre sound quality, terrible battery life, difficult navigation, cannot record in the dark

The Bottom Line: Although the camera lacks the features a profesional seeks, it meets all the basic credentials of an individual just looking to have a decent recording for a relatively low price.

Durability
This camera is extremely compact and is easy to travel with.  It is made with a very staunch material, and despite the numerous times I've dropped the camera, it remains intact with minimal scratches.  The camera also turns on as soon as you flip the screen open, and with a quick press of the very visible red record button, you're already taping.
Quality
The quality is decent when compared to a $500 dollar video camera, but is excellent for the price.  With standard definition recording comes the ability to change the resolution, frame rate, light settings, and more in the settings menu.  Although the quality is standard, you are able to upload your videos to your computer and then to Youtube in HD quality.  It is unable to record in the dark, but does come with a small light on the front of the camera that you can turn on when needed.  The sound quality is mediocre at best, so it may be hard to hear what people are saying in the video; although you could always invest in a better microphone.
Use
The camera is a bit hard to use due to the small slide scanner to the left of the screen.  You simply slide your finger up and down the scanner to scroll through various options, although this gets slightly annoying after a while.  I feel they could have created a better method for choosing settings, videos, etc. My parents have a similiar, but different model of the JVC camera which has a tiny joy-stick used for navigation, which I feel is a much better option.  The camera's settings are difficult to work with and get used to, so I tend to be the only one in my family capable of working with the camera (deleting videos, watching video playback, configuring settings, etc.)
Memory and Battery
This camera can store a ton of video footage, which is one of the main features I love about it.  It has a dual SD card slot, which means double to memory.  I've had this camera since Christmas and haven't had to delete a single video clip, which is a big thing for me because I am always recording and making videos.  On the other hand, the battery life is terrible.  I will charge this camera for a couple hours, go out and use it, and in less than an hour the battery has gone from full down to low in that short period of time.
Conclusion
This is an excellent camcorder for the price, and is a great buy for anyone looking to make some decent quality Youtube videos, record birthday partys, and more.  I would not recommend this camera for any "professional movie directors", but if you're just a kid or parent who wants to record some pretty nice videos, it definetly beats the camera on your iPhone.

Recommended for: Home and Families - Keep Memories of Family Vacations

Newegg.com

JVC - Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Red - Bundle With 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Car

JVC Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Red - Bundle With 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Video Bag, Cleaning Kit, Memory Card holder, Table Top Trip...

Newegg.com

JVC - Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Blue , - Bundle With 8GB Class 10 SDHC Ca

JVC Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Blue , - Bundle With 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Video Bag, Cleaning Kit The JVC Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof F...

Newegg.com

JVC - Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Black - Bundle With 32 GB Class 10 SDHC C

JVC Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Black - Bundle With 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Video Bag, Cleaning Kit, Memory Card holder, Table Top Tr...
Adorama

JVC - Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Blue - Bundle With 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Ca

JVC Everio GZ-R10 Quad-Proof Full HD Camcorder Blue - Bundle With 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Video Bag, Cleaning Kit, Memory Card holder, Table Top Tri...