Jack Lalanne Power Juicer 250 Watts Reviews

Jack Lalanne Power Juicer 250 Watts

Healthful Drinks

Apr 12, 2010 (Updated Apr 20, 2010)

Pros:Low power consumption. Easy to clean. Compact.

Cons:More work than pouring juice out of a bottle.

The Bottom Line: An excellent way to improve your diet by drinking your fruits and vegetables.

§ Presto chango:

I feed red apples in the top, out the back comes white pulp, and out the front brown juice. It's almost magical. I bought the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer to increase my intake of fresh fruits and vegetables by drinking instead of eating them. It's easy to assemble, easy to use, and easy to clean.

§ How it works

It comes in several pieces which stack together, held in place by a locking bar, with a separate pulp collector on the side. The juice drains from a spout into your glass.

There is a chimney seven inches tall and three inches wide into which you feed the raw product. You use a pusher like a piston to force the material down and hold it against a rotating disc with fine teeth like a food grater.

Those teeth are set up in lines like spokes on a wheel, but because they radiate off-center, they cut at an angle to do a smooth job. The resulting pulp is squeezed through the tiny clearance at the bottom of the chimney like toothpaste onto the rotating disc where centrifugal force moves it onto a rotating fine wire mesh.

That mesh is angular like a funnel, so as the pulp moves to the top, the juice is pulled through it to be channeled to the spout. The angle was calculated to keep the pulp moving steadily across it. Have you ever noticed water from a tap looks clear until you up the flow and then it gets cloudy? The speed of the flowing pulp is set so that it keeps its coherence unless you add water, or else put in (relatively dry) bananas, avocados, or over­ripe fruit, in which case the change in viscosity will thwart the design and clog the system. You can't use it for that stuff. Add a banana in a blender later to make a smoothie, or add water to your finished juice in a glass.

Once the drained pulp passes the edge of the filter, it orbits around a fixed circular chamber on top until redirected by vanes to a cataract into the pulp collector.

§ Pulp disposal

There's a booklet that offers suggestions how to use the pulp, but I don't bother with that, or with the many recipes for juice. I use mine for apple juice, and carrot-apple combos (juiced in that order), and some­times orange juice. That reflects more my lack of initiative than any limitation of the power juicer.

I dump the residue into a compost pile. The earthworms love it. I have that on authority of a professional selling composters; I'm not going to dig in the pile to verify its popularity.

The juice should be drunk right away to preserve nutrients, or stored refrigerated in an air­tight container for up to two hours.

§ Cleaning

I find hot running water cleans it adequately if I do it right away, except I need to rub a bit for the orange juice. Make sure to turn over the parts to clean the outside edges. To clean the screen, use a fine bristled braising brush which can be stored in coarse-grained salt to absorb moisture. The blades are sharp so be prepared for buffeted skin if you pick them clean, or else use a tooth­brush. The heads of the phillips screws can be cleared with a toothpick.

§ Safety

Before disassembling it for cleaning, the instructions say to unplug it, but it already has an inter­lock on it that won't allow it to be turned on once the locking bar has been disengaged. I have yet to find a way to defeat the inter­lock, so I might feel disinclined to unplug it. The base only gets wiped, not immersed.

The only danger I see is if your hand is small enough to fit in the chimney, you could conceivably stick it in when it's going and get an owey, but I don't see that happening unless you're trying to brew a concoction to sober you up and you really need it.

§ Mother's little helper

This thing is so easy to set up, use, and clean that a child could do it. If you have one you want to keep busy in the kitchen while you prepare a meal, I recommend a safety lesson first, then showing the little one how.

§ Comparison shopping

I got this one because it's compact and efficient—250 watts instead of the competition's 600. I'm perfectly satisfied with it, but it may not meet the needs of every­body. You might do well to shop around some, especially if this new appliance involves a spouse in a new diet to begin with. This one is a finely tuned machine which might not agree with some­one who uses brute force or who can't be bothered futzing around with cleaning. This sort of appliance more than many tends to get left unused in a pantry.

If you're looking for economy, Champion might be better. Green Star cuts at a slower speed, and with­out the heat, light, and air, its juice can last 24-48 hours in a sealed container with­out degradation, as opposed to two hours for Jack LaLanne's. A high speed blender (2 h.p.) would work for making any­thing including smoothies, if you don't mind the fiber in your juice. The nutrients are absorbed better from juice proper, but that's less "natural" than juice with the fiber.

Or get this one, the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer, if you want. It's highly recommended and very popular, and you'll get no complaints from me.

Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Juicing Machine White

Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Juicing Machine White

Power Juicer Juicing Machine Juices Veggies and FruitsThe Jack LaLanne Power Juicer juicing machine is an indispensable tool for healthy, delicious ju...

Jack Lalanne Jlpjb Power Juicer Juicing Machine-b0

Jack Lalanne Jlpjb Power Juicer Juicing Machine-b0

Retail box is little distressed but its brand new never been used includes all accessories Sign up for my email newsletters by adding my eBay Store to...

Jack Lalanne Power Juicer - As Seen On Tv By Tristar Products

Jack Lalanne Power Juicer - As Seen On Tv By Tristar Products

Lalanne'S Power Juicer: Citrus Juicer Electric Fruit Power
Brand Jack La Lanne's Lalanne Power Juicer Cl-003ap White In Box

Brand Jack La Lanne's Lalanne Power Juicer Cl-003ap White In Box

hotwheelsmatchboxroadsplatset ITEM: You are bidding on this Brand New JACK LA LANNE'S POWER JUICER in Original Box .Model CL-003A 1000 watts The Jack ...

Part Only Jack Lalanne Power Juicer Mt-1020 Motor Base

Part Only Jack Lalanne Power Juicer Mt-1020 Motor Base

cybermarketusa Store Additional Terms of Contract: You will receive that which is shown in the first photo minus anything incidental in the background...

Jack LaLanne Juicer

Jack LaLanne Juicer

Find juicers at Target.com! The jack lalanne juicer uses patented extraction technology to give you 30% more juice. It has an extra-large feeder that ...

Jack LaLanne JLPJB Power Juicer Juicing Machine

Jack LaLanne JLPJB Power Juicer Juicing Machine

Product Details Countertop juicing machine with an extra-large feeder chute Powerful 3,600-RPM motor offers whisper-quiet operation Surgical-quality s...
Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Pro Electric Juicer Stainless steel

Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Pro Electric Juicer Stainless steel

The Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Promotes Health and Vitality Clad in sleek stainless steel, the Jack LaLanne Electric juicer is a striking addition to y...