Jet blue true blue

Epinions Product Rating: OK

I've Been True To JetBlue...Time For Them To Return The Favor...JetBlue TrueBlue

Feb 17, 2003 (Updated May 15, 2004)

Pros:easy to use, free trips, not a credit card and more about flying

Cons:could take awhile, but all frequent flyer programs take time

The Bottom Line: Watch your points soar and get a free round-trip flight! You just can't beat that with jetBlue TrueBlue!

I had been anticipating the launching of a frequent flyer program by jetBlue Airways forever! Every week before it was launched, I would call in and ask if the frequent flyer program was in the talks. Finally, one day, they told me that they are working on one. YES! That was the first step. A few weeks later, I checked on the site, www.jetblue.com, and I saw something called TrueBlue Flight Gratitude. It was my guess that TrueBlue was the frequent flyer program.

How It Works

With jetBlue TrueBlue, you earn points and not miles like other airlines. Each trip that you take adds up to a certain number of points. You will need 100 points to get a FREE round-trip ticket to ANYWHERE jetBlue flies! Here is how the system works...

- New York JFK - Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Burlington: 2 points one-way

- Long Beach - Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Oakland: 2 points one-way

- New York JFK - Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, New Orleans: 4 points one-way

- Washington D.C Dulles - Ft. Lauderdale: 4 points one-way

-Boston - Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa: 4 points

- Washington D.C Dulles - Long Beach, Oakland, Sacramento: 6 points one-way

- New York JFK - Denver, Seattle, Oakland, Ontario, Long Beach, Las Vegas, San Diego, Salt Lake City, San Juan, Santiago, Santo Domingo, San Jose, Aguadilla: 6 points one-way

-Boston - Long Beach, Oakland, Denver: 6 points

If you noticed, these routes are divided into short (2 points), medium (4 points), and long (6 points). Say if you are flying from Long Beach to Ft. Lauderdale. That route is not offered non-stop so you will have to either take a connection in Washington D.C Dulles or New York JFK...your choice. However, you will not get six points for flying from Long Beach to JFK, and then another four points from JFK to Ft. Lauderdale. This is because instead of offering more points for these flights, jetBlue cuts off a large chunk of the price of the ticket so you aren’t paying $140 from Long Beach to JFK, then another $80 to Ft. Lauderdale which would equal $220. Instead, jetBlue will bring the price from $220 to about $50 lower.

Signing up was simple and easy. All you have to do is give your first name, last name, address, age, and phone number. Also, you need to have a valid email account. This email account will be your “I.D” that you will have to use to sign into your TrueBlue account. Once you fill out all the forms, jetBlue will send you an email with all the information you will need for your TrueBlue account.

Note: You can only make an account online at www.jetblue.com ....it is entirely electronic and ticketless like jetBlue!

Account

To log in, type in your email address and password. If you forget your password, you can call jetBlue and they’ll look it up. But if you forget your email address, you’re out of luck!

Once you’re logged in, you can see how many points you have. There is the route that you have flown, and how many points you got from that route. So far, I have 28 points and will need another 72 for a free flight. I got ten points just for being one of the first members to sign up, 16 points on a round-trip flight from Rochester to Orlando that I booked online, and two points on a one-way trip that I booked over the phone from Rochester to JFK.

There is also a little image that has the outline of New York City, then the outline of Florida. Below is an orange stripe that grows every time you get more TrueBlue points. Once you get all 100 points, the orange line will be at the Florida part of the image. Then, you can easily claim your tickets. All you have to do is type in your TrueBlue number once you decide to book your flight, and you won’t have to type in any credit card information!

jetBlue Credit History

If you cancel a flight with jetBlue, or call in and say that you have found a lower fare (on a jetBlue flight) and would like to get some money back, you won’t get money. You’ll get a $25 jetBlue credit to use on any jetBlue flight that has seats available. The jetBlue Credit History box allows you to see how much jetBlue credit you have, how much you’ve used, where you’ve used it, and how it happened. This is limited to TrueBlue members only.

Booking A Flight & Requesting Points

If you are logged into your account, booking a flight is very easy! Your name, jetBlue code number, address and phone number are already in the appropriate boxes. All you have to fill out is the credit card number, type of credit card, and expiration date.

If you are not logged into your account while booking and forget to include your jetBlue code number yet have already booked a flight, don’t worry! You can ‘request points’ over 1-800-jetBlue or www.jetblue.com but it must be within 90 days of the flight(s). To request points, you need your confirmation number, flight number(s), and route(s). After you submit the form, jetBlue will send you an email telling you if your request has been denied or accepted. JetBlue will not deny your request if it is within 90 days of the flight and your request has correct info, but jetBlue will deny your request if the flight is after 90 days of the flight.

Promotions

JetBlue offers certain promotions only for TrueBlue members. The current promotion is that you can get a basic two room DirecTV system for free when signing up for one year of any other Total Choice DirecTV Programming Packages. Since jetBlue is now the mother company of DirecTV, there will be many TrueBlue promotions with DirecTV.

jetBlue’s Thoughts

Quoted directly from the website www.jetblue.com is what jetBlue thinks of TrueBlue.

As the name suggests, TrueBlue is our way of showing gratitude for your flying with JetBlue. With TrueBlue you'll not only be building a relationship with JetBlue, but you'll also enjoy faster and easier booking, advance notice of special promotions and fare sales, and the ability to choose the information you want from JetBlue. And, of course, you'll be able to earn free flights.

While other airlines are trying to pull out of frequent flyer programs, jetBlue is trying to convince more people to sign up. And why not? Earning luxurious free flights (especially with jetBlue) is what I call ‘cool.’

My Thoughts

TrueBlue is a great frequent flyer program. I like that I can earn free flights on my favorite airline, though it will take quite a few flights. However, you always need to have patience with frequent flyer programs. I also like that it isn’t a credit card type of program because those can get really annoying sometimes and make your wallet feel very bulky. TrueBlue is simple and easy to use. I like the promotions, how easy it is to book a flight and how most of the information is already filled in, how easy and convenient it is to sign up, and I certainly don’t mind the promotions!

jetBlue’s TrueBlue: