Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

Feb 18, 2008

Pros:The meal milled by Chelsea Milling is a tad coarser than some cornmeal

Cons:none noted

The Bottom Line: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix produces delicious corn bread and corn bread muffins and can be used in a variety of delicious recipes

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is a 8.5 oz package of dry mix to which the user will add a third of a cup of milk and one egg. I use canned milk and an extra egg for a richer batter. The batter produced can be used to made a small pan of cornbread, 6 – 8 corn muffins, or as a topping for other dishes.

As with most package mixes of this type; the dry mix is offered in a sealed plastic sack for freshness. Chelsea Milling Co. fills, seals and encases about 1.4 million
8 1/2-oz Jiffy® boxes every day at its Chelsea, Michigan plant. The plastic sack of mix is inserted into a cardboard box for placement on the grocery shelf. Before I began using them the little suckers were on the shelf for a dime, today cost is about .35 each.

Prepare the mix by following directions on the box, bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes as is done with larger size cornbread mix.

The meal milled by Chelsea Milling is a tad coarser than some cornmeal which can be found on grocer shelves. I like it better than the finely milled meal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The box has recipes printed on it, as you will find on a box of larger amounts of mix. The Jiffy/Chelsea Milling site also offers recipes. http://www.jiffymix.com/request.html The Jiffy company will send you a paper recipe book after you fill out the on line form.

I like a little history when I begin using a product: I want to know who the company is, why they are what they are, and I like to buy American. I like knowing whether a company is providing jobs for U.S citizens.

The Chelsea Milling Company is operated by a family whose roots in the flour milling business date back to the early 1800’s. Jiffy’s entire operation is located in Chelsea, Michigan, and Jiffy products are shipped to all 50 states, in addition to some foreign countries through the United States Military.

In the spring of 1930, Mabel White Holmes, grandmother of Chelsea Milling President, Howdy S. Holmes, developed and introduced the first prepared baking mix product, JIFFY Baking Mix for use by homemakers.

At the present time there are nearly 20 JIFFY Mixes available. JIFFY strives to provide users, with the best value available in prepared mixes.

I found very interesting that Chelsea Milling Company as a complete manufacturer; stores wheat, mills wheat into flour, uses that flour for Jiffy mixes, and Chelsea Milling Company even makes their own boxes. I like knowing that the product I am using has not traveled all over the country, and perhaps into and out of a variety of industrial sites each having their own standards of cleanliness, caution and the like before being made into a mix that I will be using.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix produces delicious corn bread and corn bread muffins.

And, we like it as a tasty alternative topping for a corny version of shepherd pie dish. I use left overs, veggies and/or meat, place in baking pan, heat, spoon corn batter rather than mashed potatoes over and bake until bread topping is browned and perfect.

Major Ingredients list includes: wheat flour, degerminated yellow corn meal flour, sugar, animal shortening, baking powder

For those who check for allergens: product contains gluten, corn, animal fat, prepared mix is made with milk and egg

Nutritional Information re Prepared Jiffy Corn Muffins

Trans Fat 0g
Protein 2g
Sodium 340mg
Sugars 7g

Trace amounts of vitamins and minerals are present
Calcium 8%
Iron 6%
Thiamin 8%
Riboflavin 8%
Folate 8%

www.jiffymix.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A recipe we like from the Jiffy site:

CREAMY CORN MUFFINS
(Yield: 18 large muffins)

2 pkgs. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix
2 eggs
1 can (12 oz.) cream style corn
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease one large muffin pan well, or use paper liners.
2. Mix all ingredients together, blending well.
3. Pour into prepared muffin pan, filling about 1/2 full.
4. Bake for 22-28 minutes.
5. Let cool before removing from pan.

Back in ‘the old days,’ BC, •before children• grew up and moved to their own homes I used cornmeal in BIG boxes, now it is husband and myself, we neither want nor eat those large amounts I used to cook. Jiffy is the perfect size, taste and versatility for us.

============================

Chelsea, Michigan 48118-0460
United States of America
Phone: (734) 475-1361
Website: JiffyMix.com

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 8.5 Oz (6 Pack)

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 8.5 Oz (6 Pack)

JIFFY CORN MUFFIN MIX 6 BOXES INCLUDED EACH BOX IS 8.5 OZ ALWAYS FRESH EXPIRATION DATE Posted with eBay Mobile

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 3 Pack (3) Boxes, Free Ship

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 3 Pack (3) Boxes, Free Ship

sharkys Store JIFFY CORN MUFFIN MIX 3 Pack (3) Boxes, Free Ship ! CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE THEM .. Listing is For 3 Boxes PACKAGING MAY BE SLIGHTL...

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 8.5 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 8.5 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Auction is for three 8.5 oz packages Just add egg milk ******************************************** Combined Shipping Available ...

Jiffy Banana Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Banana Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Banana Muffin Mix Auction is for three 7 oz boxes ******************************************** Combined Shipping Available We accept PayPal only...

Jiffy Blueberry Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Blueberry Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Blueberry Muffin Mix Auction is for three 7 oz boxes Also great for pancakes ******************************************** Combined Shipping Avai...

Jiffy Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix Auction is for three 7 oz boxes ******************************************** Combined Shipping Available We accept Pay...

Jiffy Chocolate Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Chocolate Muffin Mix 7 Oz (3 Pack)

Jiffy Chocolate Muffin Mix Auction is for three 7 oz boxes ******************************************** Combined Shipping Available We accept PayPal o...