JL Audio 12W6v2-D4 1-Way 12" Car Subwoofer Reviews

JL Audio 12W6v2-D4 1-Way 12" Car Subwoofer

Great Clarity, excellent bass for the daily drive

Sep 16, 2007

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Excellent sound clarity, good daily driving bass

Cons:Not meant for competition!!!

The Bottom Line: These subs are some of the best on the market. They are a little expensive, but they hold up seemingly forever and sound great!

I have been a HUGE car audio fanatic for the last ten years. Ever since I was capable of driving, I have had a desire to blast my speakers at levels that weren’t fit for anyone’s ears. This has led to thousands of dollars in purchases, countless maxed out credit cards, and eventually led to a huge interest in the car customization business in general.

Over the last ten years, I have done countless installs on my own vehicles, my friends’ vehicles, and customer vehicles after I started up my own customization business in 2000, which eventually would be put out of business, by the economy crushing September 11th. Porous

Since the time September 11th, I have still maintained a great deal of side business, including work done for a local shop on a need basis. I now perform the majority of my installations as more of a hobbyist than for income. This affords me the opportunity to try out the latest equipment and improve the car customization scene within the state of Alaska.

Sound Quality
I personally love the sound of JL Audio products. They have a nice smooth sound with great range, especially in the 12W6V2. With this particular speaker you are essentially getting a subwoofer that is meant for clarity much more than for hard hitting powerful bass. With RMS power of only 400, you aren't going to be able to compete with the big boys of the bass world, but you will definitely have more than enough thump for your regular driving needs. If you are looking to thump so loud that you impress your neighbors, you aren't going to do much good with this particular system.

Just keep in mind that with this sub you are looking at clarity and quality, not overall bass. If you want bass, this isn't the sub for you. You can get more than enough bass than you could ever need, but if you truly want to blow people away, I suggest looking into Kicker brand subs or some higher wattage Lanzar if you want something more affordable.

Durability
Probably the best reason to purchase JL audio is because their speakers hold up. In my experience with JL we have completely pushed these speakers past their capacity and rarely did they ever fail. They are able to handle maximum power for much longer than other speakers without failing. They are just made a whole lot better and are meant to be punished. But, this type of speaker really isn't the type that you would punish. They aren't for sound off competitions, so why use them for that purpose, as you just aren't going to win in those battles. These subs are purely for a high quality, deep sound and nothing more.

Appearance
The subwoofer itself is relatively plain in appearance. I generally wouldn't suggest it to someone that is looking for a customized look, however they are relatively easy to paint because of their single tone surface area. If you want something a little more attractive, again, I would go with Kicker, Rockford, or even Pioneer. You are going to get a much more attractive look than you would with this particular sub.

Product Specifications
Sensitivity: 85.9 dB
RMS Power Range : 400 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 800 Watts
Impedance: Dual 4 Ohm
Diameter: 12 Inch

Nominal Diameter: 12 inches (300 mm)
Continuous Power Handling: 400 Watts
Voice Coil: 2.75" diameter, 4-layer, Kapton former
Dual 4 ohm
Xmax (one-way, linear): 0.65" (16.5 mm)
Sealed Enclosure Range: 0.90-1.50 cu.ft. (25.0-42.0 liters)
Ported Enclosure Range: 1.25-1.75 cu.ft. (35.4-49.5 liters)
VRCT Technology
W-ConeT Technology
Elevated Frame Technology
Floating Cone Attach Technology
NeckVentT Technology

Here is a sealed box designed specifically for the JL Audio 12W6v2 subwoofer. It features sealed design construction using 3/4 MDF for the main enclos...

This is a ported model designed specifically for the JL Audio 12W6v2 subwoofer. This box takes advantage of internal bracing to add strength to the bo...