Another great John Deere Tiller
Sep 25, 2000
Review by TerranEmpire
Rated a Very Helpful Review
Pros:REAR TINE, GREAT FOR HOMEOWNERS, DEPENDABLE
Cons:TOO BIG FOR SMALL YARDS, EXPENSIVE
John Deere 518R Walk Behind Tiller
Recommend this product?
I have a fairly large yard (1/3+ acre lot) with a big garden. I needed a tiller that could be used in the garden and around the larger for small to large duty gardening and landscaping work. I had used several different tillers in the past (both front and rear tine tiller) and eventually decided to purchase the John Deere Rear Tine Walk Behind Tiller for the following reasons:
1) POWER - The powerplant for this unit is a 5-HP gas engine. This is just perfect for the homeowner with a medium to large yard. This engine has worked just great over the 50+ hours that I have used the tiller. Rarely does the tiller "bog down" due to a lack of power.
2) RELIABILITY - Other than just conducting routine maintenance and cleaning, I have had NO PROBLEMS with this unit. I am a big fan of John Deere equipment and this tiller appears to be holding up as a typical John Deere tool.
3) REAR TINE - I definitely recommend the rear tine tillers to the mid or front tine tillers. The rear tine tillers are easier to control, dig better, and typically have a self-propelled power drive. My John Deere model definitely fits this description. BUY A REAR TINE TILLER, unless you have a small yard or need to get into small spaces.
1) SIZE - This tiller is too big for small yards or "surgical" tilling. I don't have this problem, so this tiller is perfect for my yard. The only other size problem is storage. You will need a space that is big enough for about two bikes to adequately store this tiller.
2) COST - This tiller costs significantly more than front tine tillers and may be cost prohibitive for some homeowners (approximately $500 to 750 depending).
This is a great rear tine tiller at a typical cost. I highly recommend it for people with larger yards. This unit could probably fit well into a landscaping contractor's business.
Read all comments (1)
Share this product review with your friends
Here we have up for sale a nice I think new JOHN DEERE 518R WALK-BEHIND TILLER OPERATORS MANUAL.PART NUMBER OMM134183 H7.70+ PAGES. This looks new but...
Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. Excellent for pushing light snow. Blade surface is curved to roll rather than push material, which...
This is a new electric start kit for John Deere walk behind tillers. The part number is BM19042. The start kit will fit John Deere model 820R. You can...
Part # 72-115 , WHEEL JOHN DEERE 14SB WALK BEHIND / 72-115-Oregon
Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. The weight bracket can be added to your 100 series John Deere tractor in conjunction with weights ...
Part Number: M144012 3 Hole Spacing John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blower Skid Shoe Fits John Deere Walk Behind Snowblower Models: 1128DDE, 1128DE, 1332D...
Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. The John Deere 42 in. Twin Bagger for John Deere 100 Series Tractors features open-weave polyester...
Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. The John Deere 48 in. Bagger for John Deere 100 Series Tractors is easy to install without the use...
John Deere 220A Walk Behind Greensmower Service Manual with est.200 pages OEM Literature, Not a copy This manual is New. The front and back covers and...
Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. The John Deere 48 in. Mower Blades for John Deere (3-Pack) helps give your lawn a healthy look and...