KitchenAid Superba Architect KSRP25FS 25.3 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL AND FUNCTIONAL

Dec 14, 2006

Pros:stylish, functional, very quite compressor/ice maker, slide out bins, base grille water filter

Cons:No Major Cons At All

The Bottom Line: This KitchenAid refrigerator has tons of space, is super quite, beautiful and very functional. I hope to get many years of use out of this appliance.

Ah yes, if you’re looking for tall, dark and handsome, with the characteristics of being functional, reliable, practical, well built, and purrs like a kitten, then you’ve come to the right place. That is, if you’re seeking a review on a KitchenAid refrigerator.

How the Love Story Unfolds
OK, I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would love a refrigerator, but I do. In fact, I like this one so much that not only do I highly recommend it, but I spent over two hours writing the review. So that’s not the bad part, our internet service crashed and I lost everything just as I was trying to submit that hard written bugger! So I decided to sit down a couple of days later and compose this little ditty. Anyway, back to the new found love in my life…LOL…like the hubby (sorry dear), there are a couple of minor things I’d change which I’ll address further in the review. But for the most part, I like this frig well enough to give it 4 stars and 2 reviews (now I can laugh, sort of).

We had been looking for a new home and I knew we would more than likely have to make a refrigerator purchase. Our old Hotpoint refrigerator was white, but the majority of home builders in our area were/are going with black appliances. Well, once we found our home we decided to negotiate the refrigerator which was already in the house as the house was a model home, thus the existing brand new refrigerator. Of course as you may well guess, the frig happened to be, the KitchenAid Superba Architect with a beautiful glossy black finish.

For me this is a pretty big step up from my Hotpoint side-by-side as this KitchenAid is loaded with features my former frig didn’t have.

About the KitchenAid Superba Architect
This gorgeous side-by-side is a very attractive refrigerator which compliments any modern or traditional kitchen. This refrigerator with a sleek glossy front has appealing light blue lights on the exterior control panel and an optional soft glow light at the ice/water dispenser which is controlled via a sensor. This frig is 35 ˝ inch in width, 69 ľ in high, and 33 3/8 in deep. It has 25.3 cubic ft combined refrigerator/freezer space combined and is really quite functional. No wasted space inside, as you will find ample shelving, storage bins, and an indoor icemaker. Plus included is the PuR water filtration system for freshly filtered drinking water at the touch of a button.

Product Features
• 2 Slide Out Freezer Baskets
• 3 Freezer Shelves
• Optimice
• Soda Rack

Our refrigerator was already installed and I could type all the instructions for refrigerator installation into this review, but I honestly figure for most folks that information is not of the utmost importance when trying to decide what manufacture or product to go with.

A Little More Detailed Product Information
Controls:
For the most part, I think the overall design of the refrigerator was well thought out. First of all, the On/Off control and temperature controls for the refrigerator and freezer on this particular model are electronic and found on the upper portion of the refrigerator compartment. The controls are pretty basic numbered 1-7 with ֿ” being cold and ׅ” coldest. It simply takes the press of the control arrow, a beep will sound and a light will move to the setting.
Additional electronic controls found in this same location include the Optimice button which is a feature that assists with temporary periods of heavy ice used by increasing ice production over a 24-hour period.
Also found with these controls is the ExtendFresh light. The ExtendFresh temperature management system was designed to help maintain the freshness of all ingredients and prepared foods, or finished creations, with precise temperature management. Independent, electronic temperature controls set and monitor refrigerator and freezer temperatures within /- one degree.

Water and Ice Dispenser:
Easy to use, the water comes out clean and cold. Located atop the Water and Ice Dispenser are round buttons. Two are for Ice (crushed or cubed) and one is for the light and the other is the lockout. These buttons are lit with an eye appealing blue light. Also, this refrigerator is equipped with a special light that turns on when the water or ice dispenser is used. There is also a special AUTO mode and a lock out option to avoid unintentional dispensing of ice or water.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy a cold beverage is with a glass of crushed ice. This ice maker does an excellent job at crushing ice. There is a slight delay before the ice is dispensed and a moderate noise as the ice is being crushed, but both are completely normal.

To dispense water or ice all you do is place a sturdy glass against the dispenser lever and press.

The Dispenser Light:
Again, the dispenser area has a light. There are two choices, either On or Auto. When the dispenser is used, the lever will automatically turn the light on. The light can be left of continuously by choosing, “On”. When “Auto” is selected the dispenser light will automatically adjust to become brighter as the room brightens or dimmer as the room darkens. The button can be pressed a third time and the dispenser light will be turned off.
Our personal preference is the “Auto” selection because there is a very soft glow at the water/ice dispenser. Since the dispenser levers are softly lit, we no longer have to turn on bright lights in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. For us that alone is a huge plus!!

The Lock:
Another great feature is the Dispenser Lock. For those of you with small children you can more than likely relate. Our little girl who is becoming quite independent has made a lot of big messes with the water and ice dispenser on our old refrigerator. But this KitchenAid model has a dispenser lock that can be turned on/off by the simple press of a button. This feature doesn’t shut off power to the refrigerator, ice maker, or to the dispenser light. It simply deactivates the dispenser levers to prevent unintentional dispensing. Even without children this is a great feature just to keep from accidentally dispensing water or ice while cleaning the levers and dispenser area.

Water Filter Status Light:
Along side the lock, dispenser light and ice buttons is the water filter status light. This light informs you of when it is time to order and change the water filter cartridge. The light is “green” when the water filter is “good” but changes to “yellow” that it’s almost time to change the cartridge or to remind you to “order”/purchase a cartridge then to “red” when it is time to “replace” the cartridge.

The Water Filtration System:
We honestly have not owned our refrigerator long enough to change the water filter, but PuR recommends changing the water filter every 6 months. Our old Hotpoint refrigerator required a filter change about every 6-9 months depending on usage. It was pretty easy to tell when a filter needed to be changed because our water taste would change. However, with our new KitchenAid Superba Architect refrigerator we won’t have to worry about guessing about the filter change with the Water Filter Status Light I mentioned above.
As for how to change the filter on this particular model, I would like to say it is easy, but I had a difficult time removing the filter cartridge cap. I thought I would attempt the process so I could write about it in the review, however as much as I hate to admit it I was unsuccessful at removing the cap. However, the cartridge is located in a convenient place which is in the front base grille. To change the filter you would 1.) remove the cartridge cap (counterclockwise to a vertical position) and pull the filter out through the base grille. Directions state there will be water in the cartridge so some spilling may occur. 2.) remove the cartridge cap by sliding it off the end of the old cartridge. The cap will slide to the left or right. Do not discard the cap. 3.) Take the new cartridge out of the package and remove protective cover from O-rings. 4.) Slide the cartridge cap onto the new cartridge. 5.) With cartridge cap in the vertical position, push the new filter cartridge into the base grille until it stops. Rotate the cartridge cap clockwise to a horizontal position. Overall it doesn’t sound too difficult to do as long as one can get the first process started. (OK guys, I’m not laughing here.)

Refrigerator Features
* Deli Drawer-This drawer stores items at normal refrigerator temperatures.
* Crisper Drawer-This drawer has a humidity control located on the top of the crisper cover. You can control the amount of humidity in the moisture-sealed crisper between low and high.
* FreshChil Locker/Drawer-You have the option of quickly chilling items in this drawer without lowering the temperature inside the refrigerator.
* Wine Rack-This little white plastic rack is a hook/j shape. It hangs from the side of a chosen shelf and accommodates one bottle of wine horizontally.
* Utility Bin-clear plastic removable container for eggs.
* Soda Rack-our model came with two white plastic racks designed to hold 5 cans of soda (each)
* Three large door bins. These bins provide enough space to hold all our different salad dressings, mayo, ketchup, etc. The refrigerator door bins are large enough to hold a couple of bottles of wine or champagne too.

Freezer Features
The ice maker switch is located inside the front portion of the freezer compartment. The ice maker/storage bin is located inside the door which frees up space inside the freezer. The ice bin is very easy to remove and clean. To remove the ice bin just hold the base of the storage bin with both hands and press the release button on the side of the bin to lift it up and out. You don’t even have to turn the ice maker off when removing the storage bin. The sensor cover on the wall of the freezer stops the ice maker from producing ice if the door is open or the ice bin is removed. To replace the bin, just place the bin on the door and push down to make sure it is in place.
For cleaning, I utilized warm water and dish soap and dried it thoroughly. Within a matter of minutes my bin was back in the freezer and my ice maker was working. In less than 24 hours I had a full bin of fresh ice in my freezer.

This KitchenAid refrigerator was equipped with three wire freezer shelves which are adjustable. There are also two sliding freezers baskets. The freezer baskets are another one of my favorite features. They are nice and large and can hold a lot of different frozen food products. Of course I like that they slide out so I can easily view the contents.

Also, there are four standard door bins inside the freezer door. I have referred to them as standard size, giving an example; a door bin will hold a small bag of frozen veggies. No large boxes such as waffles, etc will fit in the freezer door bins.

Overall Care/Maintenance
Since our refrigerator is painted metal we have to wash the exterior with a clean sponge or soft cloth and a mild detergent. For additional protection my husband applied appliance wax to the metal only.
Now, I could also talk about changing the light bulbs. Do you honestly want to know how to change a light bulb in a refrigerator? Well, for the most part and for most parts on this refrigerator, reaching the light bulbs is easy. It’s as basic as reaching in, removing the old bulb and installing the new one. However, there are a couple of areas which are not so easily accessible such as the crisper light, the freezer lights and behind the freezer basket. These few places do require the removal of light shields and baskets. Also the dispenser light requires a heavy duty 10-watt bulb. All other lights require a 40-watt appliance bulb.

The KitchenAid Warranty
All major KitchenAid appliances come with a fantastic warranty that supports the quality of their products. Here’s how KitchenAid’s warranty works on this refrigerator: 1 yr full warranty on the refrigerator from the date of purchase and a 30 day limited warranty on the water filter. 2nd-5th year full warranty on the cavity liner and sealed refrigeration system parts. 6th-10th year limited warranty on sealed refrigeration system parts which include the: compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer, and connecting tubing. Lifetime Limited Warranty on door bins and can racks.

Customer Care
If you have any questions or concerns regarding KitchenAid appliances in particular the KitchenAid Superba Architect Refrigerator you can contact their customer care line toll free at: 1-800-422-1230
Or you can write to KitchenAid with any questions:
KitchenAid Brand Home Appliances
Customer Interaction Center
553 Benson Road
Benton Harbor, MI 49022-2692
Or visit their website at www.kitchenaid.com to see the KitchenAid Superba Architect Refrigerator or a long line of major appliances from this reputable company.

What I’d Change
As I mentioned in the earlier part of my review there were a couple of minor things I would change about this refrigerator. First of all I mentioned the little problem with the removal of the water filter cap. Maybe it’s a stroke of bad luck and my hubby will be able to remove it without any problems whatsoever. However, here’s the second little downfall I have with this refrigerator. By no mean does this apply to function, but strictly to cosmetic issues. Again, I mentioned we have a child, that child likes to put her hands on things, run toys over stuff….you get the picture. Needless to say, a refrigerator with a beautiful slick, glossy smooth surface does not exactly go ideally in a home with a toddler. There are already a couple of very minor scratches on the front of the frig compliments of the 4 year old who lives in our home. For the sake of being practical a rough front on these refrigerators would be a great option. Of course that would take away from some of the style of the refrigerator, but it is an issue and one I felt needed to addressed.

Final Thoughts
Although there were a couple of minor downfalls to this refrigerator, there is absolutely nothing major I would change. Overall I’m very pleased with the style and function of this KitchenAid appliance. I would like to add that as I’ve written this review and paid more attention to a refrigerator than what I normally would, I have noticed the “running sound” or normal sounds as they would be called. The thing purrs like a kitten. As for the ice maker, it is super quite as well. Our old frig (which was only 3 yr old) made horrible sounds compared to the quietness of the Superba Architect.
This refrigerator is the same size as my old Hotpoint, but it still seems to be roomier. I love the different bins in the refrigerator, especially the chill locker with the ability to quickly chill foods in that bin without adjusting the internal temperature of the whole refrigerator.
Again, I really appreciate the in-door ice-maker as it does free up a lot of room within the freezer. I actually owned a small separate freezer which was full prior to our move. However, that freezer now sits totally empty. All of our food from our old refrigerator plus the additional freezer fit into our KitchenAid refrigerator!! Now that's space galore!! I’m highly impressed!!

Whew, I think I’m breathing sigh of relief now that I’m at the end. I’m not a big electronics whiz, I’m not an engineer, I’m just a simple woman and I know what I like. And when I find something I really enjoy, I want to talk about it!! However, as I end I can’t help but to wonder what I may have left out that would help someone in his/her decision making on whether or not to buy this appliance. Altogether I think this is a superb appliance made by KitchenAid and I would definitely recommend it to anyone including my closest friends and family.

Thanks for reading!!

KitchenAid Architect Ii 4.1-cu ft Self-Cleaning Single Oven Dual Fuel Range (Stainless Steel) (Common: 30-in; Actual 30-in) KDRS807SSS

Even-Heat™ True Convection System consists of a hidden oven element and an innovative bow-tie shaped fan that circulate air from the convection oven...
Lowe's

KitchenAid Architect II 19.8-cu ft French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator with Single Ice Maker (Monochromatic Stainless Steel) ENERGY STAR KFIS20XVMS

LCD dispenser display provides intuitive feedback, while digital controls allow adjustments from the outside. SatinGlide freezer baskets and deli lock...
Lowe's

Kitchenaid Architect Series Ii 42” Built-in French Door Refrigerator - Kbfc42fts

The KitchenAid Architect Series II KBFC42FTS Stainless Steel (22.6 cu. ft.) French Door Refrigerator has 4 shelves and a capacity of 22.6 cu. ft. Incl...

KitchenAid Architect 24 Single Wall Oven w/ True Convection Stainless steel

KitchenAid Architect 24 Single Wall Oven w/ True Convection Stainless steel

Architect 24 Single Wall Oven w/ True Convection

Kitchenaid 29 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator

Kitchenaid 29 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator

This 29 cu. ft. refrigerator (18.6 cu. ft. actual capacity) helps maximize the freshness of produce with the PreservaA Food Care System. The system co...
h.h. gregg
Architect Series II KEBS209BSS 30 Double Electric Wall Oven with 5.0 cu. ft. Per Oven

The KitchenAid KEBS209B 30 in built-in double wall oven delivers the most even baking among leading premium brand 30-inch wall ovens and features conv...
AppliancesConnection

Kitchenaid Architect Ii Kems379bss 27 Wall Oven Microwave Combo Stainless Steel

Kitchenaid Architect Ii Kems379bss 27 Wall Oven Microwave Combo Stainless Steel

KitchenAid KEMS379BSS Home About Us Feedback FAQ Contact Us Add our store to your favorites and receive exclusive emails about new items and special...

KitchenAid Architect 30-in Smooth Surface 4.1-cu ft Self-Cleaning Slide-In Convection Electric Range (Stainless Steel) KESS908SPS

Even-Heat™ True Convection System provides even heating throughout oven. EasyConvect™ Time and Temperature Conversion System takes the guesswork o...

Kitchenaid Architect Series Ii 36” Built-in Bottom Refrigerator - Kbrc36fts

Kitchenaid Architect Series Ii 36” Built-in Bottom Refrigerator - Kbrc36fts

This built-in bottom-freezer features impressive performance options that will change the way you look at food preservation. The sleek styling of stai...

KitchenAid Architect Ii 4.1-cu ft Self-Cleaning Single Oven Dual Fuel Range (Stainless Steel) (Common: 30-in; Actual 30-in) KDSS907SSS