K-Seal

Blown head gasket repair too costly? Try K-Seal first.

May 8, 2012 (Updated May 9, 2012)

Pros:Stopped my leak within 10 minutes and hasn't leaked since.

Cons:None, it worked great.

The Bottom Line: Try it. I normally frown at this type of product, but K-Seal worked great and I would defintely use it again in the future.

Last Easter the low coolant light came on in our car, a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.1 liter V6 engine. I thought it was odd, but filled the coolant up and drove the 40 miles back home... but it was out of coolant again by time we got there. I assumed it was a blown head gasket or something equally time-consuming or expensive, so we took it to a couple of mechanics to look at. It turns out that the leak was coming from two places; the intake manifold gasket and the timing chain cover gasket. We parked the car for a few months while we decided whether to fix it or look for another one.

Well, this year we decided to go ahead and fix the intake manifold gasket. They said that was the more important leak, and that the timing chain cover leak wouldn't effect anything other than cause us to have to dump more coolant in it constantly. Well, that was annoying enough that I figured I would try a random bottle of terrible stop-leak stuff from the auto parts store. I've never had any luck with this type of product in the past, but the car is kind of old and wasn't really worth putting more money into, so I figured a bottle of $16 stuff would be worth a shot.

This K-Seal multi purpose, one step, permanent coolant leak repair is supposed to mix with all types of antifreeze, so it doesn't require draining or flushing of the coolant system. It claims to permanently repair most leaks in head gaskets, radiators, heater cores, freeze plugs, water pump casings, cylinder heads and engine blocks. This 8 fluid ounce bottle that we picked up is effective on engines up to 10 cylinders.

The directions say to shake it vigorously for 30 seconds and then dump it in the radiator or overflow reservoir. After the engine reaches operating temperature, the leak will stop within 1-3 minutes, and then you just leave the K-Seal in for future sealing. It also says it may take a little longer if it's dumped into the overflow instead of directly into the radiator. Well, there is no place to dump it directly into the radiator in the Grand Am, you can only fill up the coolant through the overflow, so that's where we dumped it.

We shook it for a couple of minutes and dumped it in, topped off the reservoir with antifreeze and then started the car. We let it idle in the driveway for 5 minutes or so, and when I looked under the car I could still see a thin stream of water pouring onto the ground. We hopped in the car and took it for about a 5 mile drive around near the house, and when we got back? Not even a drip. Topped the coolant back off, which was maybe a pint low by this point, and it's been fine ever since. We've driven the car a few hundred miles since then and it hasn't leaked a drop.

The label cautions not to induce vomiting if you swallowed this harmful substance. Just stick your finger in the bottle when you open it, it actually burns a little, so if you're somehow swallowing this stuff you've got bigger problems than a coolant system leak.

K-Seal is safe to use on all types of water cooled engines. The FAQ on Solv-Tec's website says that K-Seal works by "...filling the crack with ceramic microfibers that cure to make a permanent repair." When you look at the fluid, it looks similar to a pile of large glitter floating around in a bottle of vegetable oil. The FAQ also says that it does not work on hoses, and that it needs to be exposed to atmosphere to work effectively (and thus it may not work well on a leak such as coolant leaking into the oil).

Well, what more can I say? It seems to have done the trick for my leak so I'm a satisfied customer. Even though I'm not one to recommend such products usually, I would recommend K-Seal because it did what it advertised and my vehicle suffered no ill effects.

K&N Sealing Grease

K&N Sealing Grease

K&N Sealing Grease provides an airtight seal for all types of air filters. It is resistant to heat and will not melt or run off. Not to be used with c...
BikeBandit.com
Sealed Power E933K Piston Ring Set

Sealed Power E933K Piston Ring Set

fast shipping on Sealed Power E933K E933K UPC 614046271494
K&n Air Filter Sealing Grease,high Temp,8 Oz.

K&n Air Filter Sealing Grease,high Temp,8 Oz.

You are bidding on a Brand New 8 ounce tube of K N Air Filter Sealing Grease (K N Part #99-0702). K N Sealing Grease provides an airtight fit around s...

E-901K Sealed Power Piston Ring Set

E-901K Sealed Power Piston Ring Set

New Sealed Power Piston Ring Set. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. E-901K

E-537K Sealed Power Piston Ring Set

E-537K Sealed Power Piston Ring Set

New Sealed Power Piston Ring Set. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. E-537K

K&N Filters 99-0704 Sealing Grease

K&N Filters 99-0704 Sealing Grease

Air Filter Sealing GreaseSealing GreaseSealing Grease; 6 oz. Squeeze Tube;FEATURES:Sealing Grease6 oz. Squeeze TubeK&N Engineering, of Riverside, Cali...
Dayco Timing Belt Water Pump Kit with Seals - WP224K1BS

Dayco Timing Belt Water Pump Kit with Seals - WP224K1BS

Dayco Timing Belt Water Pump Kits with Seals are manufactured to meet the critical OE quality fit, form and function requirements demanded by both dom...
Advance Auto Parts

Sealed Power E232k Std. Piston Rings For 4 3/32 Bore

Sealed Power E232k Std. Piston Rings For 4 3/32 Bore

Sealed Power E232K Std. premium ring set for 4 3/32 bore GM V-8 396 thru 421 V-8 NEW

GUNK Hydro-Seal II 5 gal. Heavy Duty Parts Cleaner with Basket HS5K

GUNK Hydro-Seal II 5 gal. Heavy Duty Parts Cleaner with Basket HS5K

Shop for Automotive at The Home Depot. For use in solvent cleaning tanks or related equipment as a powerful parts cleaning compound. Featuring no chlo...
Home Depot

E-904K Sealed Power Piston Ring Set

E-904K Sealed Power Piston Ring Set

New Sealed Power Piston Ring Set. PartsGeek offers high quality new, OEM and aftermarket products. E-904K