Kibbles and Bits Original Dog Food Reviews

Kibbles and Bits Original Dog Food

Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food - Our Dogs First Choice

Mar 21, 2007

Pros:dogs like it, affordable, decent nutrition

Cons:fillers & preservatives, chewy bits can dry out if bag not closed properly

The Bottom Line: The dogs eat it and we can afford it. For us, that's good enough.

Since I got my first dog at age 18, I have been feeding them the way that breeder instructed me. I feed them once a day a can of wet food mixed with dry and some water. I went through various stages of what I fed the dogs, especially in dry foods. Puppies have always gotten fed Puppy Chow, but older dogs changed from Dog Chow to Alpo Dry Food and most recently Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food.

I don't remember why we first switched to Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food. I think my mother's old dog started turning up her nose at the other food she was getting so we tried something different. The dogs really seem to like Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food. I think it has to due with the fact that they get crunchy and chewy food all in one. The kibble part is crunchy and the bit part is moist and chewy. This way they get the benefits of the crunchy food helping their teeth.

Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food is manufactured by Del Monte and has been for more than twenty years. They advertise that it is 100% complete and balanced nutrition for your dog. While that might be the case from what is recommended for a dog, many people will have issues with the ingredients. Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food contains quite a bit of fillers and preservatives. The recommended amount for feeding reflects this and dogs might look for food sooner after eating Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food than higher-end dry dog foods. For us, however, it makes economic sense. We have two very large dogs, and Old English Sheepdog and a Black Labrador/Boxer mix. They eat a whole lot. Some mornings we even have to just throw them a few handfuls of this food above and beyond their once a day feeding. If we were to switch to a higher end product, it would cost us double per bag and would only cut the amount we fed each of them by about a cup a day.

My only real complaint about Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food is that I wish they made recloseable bags for the food. We always have saved plastic containers from the kitty litter and transfer the food into those. Since the bits are a moist dog food, the bag needs to be closed very well if you are going to keep the food in there once it is opened. We have a problem keeping our cat from getting into the bag and chowing down on it so I just started using the containers. Yes, one day he will probably start barking.

The nutrition in a bag of Kibbles 'n Bits Dry Dog Food is pretty good. It contains:

• protein for growth and strong muscles
• carbohydrates for energy
• fat for energy, healthy skin and coat
• fiber for healthy digestive system
• vitamin A for bright eyes and good vision
• vitamin D for growth
• calcium for strong bones and teeth
• iron for healthy blood
• zinc for a healthy immune system

It also contains many other essential nutrients. So it's not a horrible dog food by far. And the dogs like it. It's affordable. That's good enough for me. I try to stick with the same brand when I purchase the food, just sometimes different taste varieties based on what bags are available. We do have to buy the huge bags and they finish one in a couple of weeks. Purina makes a formula similar to this that i thought was the same brand and I was surprised to learn that they weren't. I guess my dogs really like the crunchy and chewy combination, so that's what I will be sticking with.

INGREDIENTS:

Corn, soybean meal, ground wheat flour, beef & bone meal, animal fat (BHA used as preservatives), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), calcium sulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, red 40, yellow 6, BHA (used as a preservative), dl-methionine.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: