Kelty King Kooker 60 - Quart Aluminum Boiling Pot - 81795002608

King Kooker kooks, steams, boils 60QTS of your fave foods mixed together, all at once

Jun 25, 2012 (Updated Jun 26, 2012)

Pros:Contents stays hot few hours after cooking, handles always cool. Semi-Easy care & cleanup

Cons:Storage may be challenging, heavy when full over 15lbs, sink depth challenge

The Bottom Line: Despite few minuses, an excellent add to kitchen or restaurant aluminum cookware. Dishwasher safe, temp & corrosive material resistant, OUTDOOR

During the summer months when backyard barbecues, graduation parties and maybe bridal showers/ wedding receptions want lots of good steamed clams, prawns, shrimp, lobsters or even a combination of all those yummy seafood items, a large cooking pot is sought.

I have long since gotten rid of the one I used to have as my family unit got smaller and our lunch or dinner parties became less over-the-top where something like expensive seafood would be part of the menu.

However my memory serves me well on how great having one of these around was when I needed a lot of soups, stew, compotes yummy food for many hungry folks. Many times though and most recently, I have used a number of these in my catering business because they are not too heavy unfilled and offer versatility for a number of things to cook in it.
If your frying a small turkey for example I do recommend a second set of hands for the transfer from stove to patio or patio to kitchen, etc. The larger food items getting steamed to perfection also make the pot much heavier. This is a 60 quart, that means you can get roughly 240 cups of liquid broth or chowder, cold potato soup or the dozens of prawns floating at the top ready for skimming and serving.

We recently had a grad party to cater that was expecting nearly 300 kids and adults together over the course of six hours and the hostess decided to make a chili con carne in this King Kooker 60- Quart Aluminum Boiling Pot (recently bought in the last 3 years she tells me) and then transfer about 3 quarts at a time into the chaffing dish at the buffet.

My client did find this before it became unavailable as it appears in my research of the said product this morning, it is exactly the same item as pictured. It was exceptionally one of the easiest items in the preparation of a huge batch of foods we needed to have back-ups for, like the chili con carne, the steamed clams and the nacho cheese dip.

It was a great success and this versatile aluminum pot stayed cool to the touch on the outside (but I still recommend using the handles to carry it from location to location unless it is just the cooked contents inside in which a handy basket is provided to make the transfer from pot to bowl) as the spicy hot chili was hot on the inside.

Now on with my review . . .

|| Appearance ||

This is a beautiful shiny silver color constructed of heavy duty durable aluminum for superior resistance to corrosive materials such as fruit and vegetable acids. This King Kooker is reliable because it has molded to its frame very secure shiny aluminum side handles which allow you to pick up and move from stove to sink rather easily. It does weigh under 13 pounds when empty and will get even heavier with lets say 30 quarts of sauce and 20 quarts of meat or veggies or fruits is nestling inside.

The basket to transfer cooked skimmed vegetables or fruits or smaller seafood items, has been conveniently punched with a recessed bottom and above lip to keep that stuff away from the liquid underneath, separate for serving ala carte with the au jus on the side. It is also made from aluminum with rivets to keep the handles secure and firmly molded to the base.

A heavy duty lift ring will not break down after dishwasher use or sealing in items as they are steaming, boiling or simmering slowly into flavored goodness. The lid is recessed so that it can hold moisture in but slightly let steam escape offering a succulent array of vegetables, fruits, poultry, commercial and game meats.

|| Care & Cleaning ||

This does NOT fit in most small residential dishwashers unless you take your top loading tray out and lay it on its side, but really why put it in there ? As soon as its contents is emptied into smaller buffet serving dishes, bowls or platters, slip it into a sinkful of bubbles and hot water and soak if need be for that crusty stuff on the bottom.

Not a lot sticks to this aluminum pot as most recipes call for coating it with some grease or oil or even butter; however it is designed to resist the absorption of destructive corrosive materials so as I said my clean up is usually a breeze.

The heaviness may make it awkward to fit in your regular kitchen sink so a garden hose works also. Flip it upside down to dry and your good to go. Store upright in an area where falling won’t hurt someone, so lower shelves with high enough clearance is sufficient.

|| Company Info ||

In my research I found that for 31 years this American headquartered, Louisiana as a matter of fact, company has been serving restaurants and homes with the best quality metal cookware. Distributed by Kooker, Metal Fusion is the know-how behind constructing the safest and most durable outdoor commercial cookware however at the website, this particular item is no .longer available. In fact surfing through their website with the links offered, there selection is limited but acceptable if
I want to fry a 20-lb turkey or boil 4 lbs of clams.

The idea of excellence is aimed at the outdoor grilling and boiling experiences and these huge aluminum pots will cook it all, usually all at once. Here is to bouillabaisse, fricasse and cold corn chowder !

|| Dimensions ||

If your sink is 20 inches deep or less than 18 inches high from faucet to base, then you may experience slight difficulty fitting this under the faucet to fill for when cleaning it out or filling with water to put stuff into for steaming; however at 18 and ¾ ” deep, all kinds of prawns can fit in here. Small ones, medium ones and even large ones can steam perfectly while barely touching a brother or sister on the other side of the pot as the width is 18 ½“.

Again those measurements are 17 ¼” high + 18 ¾” deep + 18 ½” wide.

|| NEGATIVES ||

The entire pot without lid has to be found the perfect home while not in use that is out of the way so clamoring does not occur should it fall, hurt someone if it topples over from a way up high shelf and gets crud at the bottom outside of it if left unloved in the corner of a root-cellar full of what was supposed to be, pickling cucumbers. If you rinse it out after usage as soon as you are able, soak it in hot sudsy water in a commercial sink that fits it, then it will serve you many years.

|| POSITIVES ||

You can make several batches of different things in this 60 quart pot that tolerates the boiling temperature of 212 degrees without a shrink. None of the acidic foods I have steamed in here like red peppers, limes, lemons, pineapples, cruciferous vegetables, nightshade vegetables and game meats, none of them have absorbed any metallic taste or smell.

This pot is odorless and keeps the heat and smells in till you pry the lid off as it is sealed with a custom fit gasket if you will all along the entire edge of the pot. The good thing is a customer is not limited to just the 60-quart; if you need something smaller or larger there are 22 qt, 32 qt, 80 qt, 100 qt, or 120 qt of these boiling pots excellent for the crawfish as noted or clams as I have mentioned.

|| VERDICT (my) ||

Whatever you fancy for a feast of- this 60 quart delivers nearly 240 cups of it !

If you love crabs, crawfish, prawns, scampies, shrimp, lobsters, sweet onions, peppers, tomatoes, corn, shallots, mushrooms, kale, squash, peas, carrots, legumes, and some delicious sauce this will accommodate your cravings over-the-top but under budget. These are affordable as they last forever when you take care of them and use them as directed.

If you are going to cook on top of outdoor pits, use a grate to keep the bottom from getting blackened and harder to keep shiny.

I recommend getting some of these at some of the virtual stores that sell Kooker kookware because what you make in these can be frozen and kept for up to six months and for huge families, that’s a great plus. I assign these ***** stars.

Thank you for reading and enjoy your cooking experience ! as per morilla's comment suggestion the correct link is now showing

King Kooker 30B 30-Quart Aluminum Basket

King Kooker 30B 30-Quart Aluminum Basket

Product Details 30-quart drain basket for turkey pots For use with 30-quart King Kooker and other turkey pots Heavy duty aluminum construction for opt...
King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven With Feet, 8-quart

King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven With Feet, 8-quart

King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Feet, 8-Quart Features of King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Feet, ...

King Kooker Turkey Pot with Lid, Rack and Hook 26 PK / 30 PK Size: 30 Quart

King Kooker Turkey Pot with Lid, Rack and Hook 26 PK / 30 PK Size: 30 Quart

Size: 30 Quart King Kooker 26 PK / 30 PK Features: -Material: Aluminum.-Includes turkey pot, lifting rack and lifting hook.-Product Type: Pot.-Finish:...
Wayfair

King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven 8-quart

King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven 8-quart

NEW King Kooker Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven 8-Quart $70.79 $95.95 Great for use at the campsite or in the kitchen. King Kooker 8 quart c...

King Kooker 12-Quart Cast Iron Roaster with Lid

King Kooker 12-Quart Cast Iron Roaster with Lid

The King Kooker 12-Quart Cast Iron Roaster with Lid is great for using at the campsite or in the kitchen. It features helper handles on the sides. The...

King Kooker Boiling Steamer Pot and Punched Basket KKSR Size: 24 Quart

King Kooker Boiling Steamer Pot and Punched Basket KKSR Size: 24 Quart

Size: 24 Quart King Kooker KKSR Features: -Product Type: Pot.-Finish: Polished Stainless.-Distressed: No.-Powder Coated Finish: Yes.-Gloss Finish: No....
Wayfair

King Kooker Aluminum Turkey Pot Multicolor - 26 PK, 26 qt.

King Kooker Aluminum Turkey Pot Multicolor - 26 PK, 26 qt.

Shop for Pots and Pans from Hayneedle.com! About King Kooker King Kooker embodies the spirit of Cajun cooking - they know how to make delicious food, ...
Hayneedle

King Kooker Cast Iron 16-Quart Dutch Oven

King Kooker Cast Iron 16-Quart Dutch Oven

The King Kooker Cast Iron 16-Quart Dutch Oven is great for using at the campsite or in the kitchen. Use it for wonderful soups, stews and chili or for...