Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal 71144 Kingsford Company

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Mixed Results - Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal

Aug 3, 2012
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:no need to purchase lighter fluid, easy to light, ready quicker

Cons:my family says food doesn't taste the same

The Bottom Line:

My husband and I love to barbeque. Actually my husband uses the charcoal grill and I like to use my gas grill. A few months ago our grocery store had a sale on Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal. My husband has always used regular Kingsford Charcoal but I figured it was about the same thing, I just wouldn’t have to purchase lighter fluid. Well my husband did not feel the same way. According to him, there is a big difference in cooking taste when using Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal compared to Kingsford Charcoal. Since I had already purchased it, he did use the bag.

Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal is said to be ready to cook in ten minutes, they have a long burn time and are easy to light. We actually found all the above to be true. The Matchlight Charcoal was easy to light and the grill was heated and ready to go. We did not time it so I’m not sure if it was ready in ten minutes or not but I know it didn’t take long to light and warm up.

Matchlight Charcoal is black charcoal briquettes with sure fire grooves in them. The grooves are said to aid in making the coals burn hotter which makes then ready to use sooner. They state they have just the right about of lighter fluid added to them for an easy start. When you are ready to grill you line your charcoal grill with a bed of Matchlight Charcoal. You then light the grill and stand back. The charcoal will ignite and when the briquettes are ash colored you start cooking. You do not need any lighter fluid to ignite these.

When you are done using the Matchlight Charcoal you need to close the bag securely and store in a cool, dry place. We go through a lot of charcoal in a year so ours doesn’t last but it does state that if stored properly the charcoal should last two to three years.

Matchlight Charcoal comes in different size bags. I have seen it in a 3.3 pound, 6.7 pound, 12.5 pound and 16.6 pound bags. You can find Matchlight Charcoal in grocery stores, hardware stores and stores like Wal-Mart. The 16.6 was on sale at my grocery store for $6.99 and I had coupons for $4.00 off so I paid $2.99 for the bag. I thought this was a good deal for charcoal. The best price I have found for Matchlight Charcoal was at Wal-Mart without coupons.

The Matchlight Charcoal comes in a red and black bag where the original Kingsford charcoal comes in a blue and white bag. The bag is easy to open and take with you if you are traveling.

A bag of charcoal only lasts use about two outings. My husband and boys prefer their steaks on a charcoal grill. They think it gives a better flavor to steaks then when I make them on the gas grill. My husband complained when I bought the Matchlight Charcoal as he said the steaks would not taste the same. He used the charcoal and I told him not to mention anything to our boys as I wanted to see if they noticed any change in taste. Both of our boys stated that the steaks did not taste as smoky. My husband used the rest of the bag but he told me not to purchase it anymore as he preferred regular Kingsford Charcoal and lighter fluid. I just think he likes playing with the lighter fluid. I feel using the Matchlight Charcoal is safer than using charcoal and lighter fluid.

I liked the Matchlight Charcoal as I liked that I didn’t have to buy charcoal and lighter fluid. The bags of Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal are more expensive than regular charcoal. They run about two dollars more. I paid around five dollars for lighter fluid but I’m not sure how long the container lasts. So I’m really not sure which way is cheaper to go.

My husband and I did agree that the Matchlight Charcoal was easier to light but he stated that once lit, he thought it burned the same as regular Kingsford charcoal.

My husband and I have differing opinions on the Matchlight Charcoal. I like it because it is easy to light, the coals seem like they are ready quicker and you do not need to purchase lighter fluid. My husband says that it doesn’t make his steaks taste the same as regular Kingsford Charcoal but does agree with my other points.

So if you are in need of charcoal, give Matchlight Charcoal a try and see what you think. Charcoal is a must have in our home but my husband would prefer I not purchase Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal anymore and stick with regular Kingsford Charcoal. We would still recommend the charcoal as it does what it is suppose to do, it just isn’t our preferred brand of charcoal.

Kingsford Bandit Charcoal Grill

Kingsford Bandit Charcoal Grill

The Kingsford Bandit Charcoal Grill has a 16-hamburger capacity and all-weather wheels for easy transport.

Kingsford 37.5-inch Barrel Charcoal Grill

Kingsford 37.5-inch Barrel Charcoal Grill

Grill up a storm with this Kingsford 37.5-inch barrel charcoal grill, featuring a sleek black body and a durable, cast iron lifter for holding a cooki...
Kingsford 22.5-inch Charcoal Kettle Grill (22.5, black)

Kingsford 22.5-inch Charcoal Kettle Grill (22.5, black)

Crafted using steel with a durable porcelain coating and an air vent for better temperature control, this Kingsford grill will get all your parties co...
Overstock.com

Charcoal Kettle Grill Kingsford Outdoor Bbq Brand Portable Patio Vents Air

Charcoal Kettle Grill Kingsford Outdoor Bbq Brand Portable Patio Vents Air

Your 1-stop-shop for fair bargains With 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed Kingsford OGD2001901-KF Outdoor Charcoal Kettle Grill, 22.5-Inch Feature...

Kingsford Mustang 23 Barrel Charcoal Grill

Kingsford Mustang 23 Barrel Charcoal Grill

The Kingsford Mustang 23 Barrel Charcoal Grill features a 446 sq. in. cooking area and a 3-piece, cast-iron cooking grate.

Kingsford GR1031-14985 Barrel Charcoal Grill, 37.5-Inch

Kingsford GR1031-14985 Barrel Charcoal Grill, 37.5-Inch

The Kingsford Maverick 37.5 barrel grill has a 40 burger capacity. The grill is built of heavy duty construction, with durable cast iron cooking grate...
Kingsford 784 Sq Inch Charcoal Grill Black Outdoor Bbq Cooking Eating Patio Gar

Kingsford 784 Sq Inch Charcoal Grill Black Outdoor Bbq Cooking Eating Patio Gar

Buy With 100% Confidence Fast Shipping !! Brand New!! Check Other Great Sales | Read our Feedbacks | Add us to Favorite Sellers Item Description: Char...

Rankam Seri Metal Mfg Ltd Kingsford 37.5-inch Barrel Charcoal Grill (37.5 inch Barrel Grill) Black

Overstock.com

Kingsford Side Kick Fire Box/Table-Top Combo

Kingsford Side Kick Fire Box/Table-Top Combo

The Kingsford Side Kick Fire Box/Table-Top Combo is a charcoal grill with a 16 hamburger capacity.

Kingsford OGD2001901-KF Outdoor Charcoal Kettle Grill, 22.5-Inch

Kingsford OGD2001901-KF Outdoor Charcoal Kettle Grill, 22.5-Inch

The Kingsford 22.5 outdoor charcoal kettle grill has a 21 burger capacity with a 354 square inch cooking area. There is an air vent on top of the lid ...