Kingston DataTraveler 101 (16 GB) (DT101G216GZ)

16 GB flash drive by Kingston

Mar 16, 2012

Pros:Large capacity, small, can be put on a key ring.

Cons:Loose, wears quickly.

The Bottom Line: Not the most durable flash drive I have owned, but works as advertised.

I bought this because I ran out of space on my 8GB drive. 5.72GB of music will do that to you (and I still have another 2GB I needed to add.) Yes I have 117 GB of music that I have bought and ripped. 5GB is nothing. I also have around 16 GB of work related files on my work server. I like to download it yearly so I have a copy on my iMac (and time machine) at home.

But I digress. I needed something larger than 8GB and I felt Kingston was a brand I could trust.

The flash drive is covered with a U shaped metal piece. The plastic case swivels 360 degrees. So the usb port is partially protected if you turn it 180 degrees. It isn't great protection but it is some sort of protection.

One thing I really like is the small size. Not the smallest out there but smaller than others I have owned.

It also has a notch in the metal piece to hold a key ring. I immediately removed it. But because I kept leaving it at work or forgetting it in dirty pants pocket, I put a spare chain and key ring. This stays on my Truck keys 100% of the time now. Something I will demand of my future USB flash drives.

I use this every day. Plugging it in to various computers 3-5 times a day. Once or twice on the weekend on average. So it gets a lot of usage.

I bought this from Amazon.com on August 2011.

Now (Mid-March) it has been giving me issues on my work PC. Sometimes it is not recognized when I put it into a USB port. Other times is gives me errors. Sometimes on my iMac it electronically ejects on it’s own. Very annoying. And I have not owned it very long. So this means I back my epinions.com files every other day and the whole drive every 2 weeks. I am just expecting it to fail me at any time.

So I have some real issues in regards to trusting this device for a long period of time.

This Kingston drive comes with a program. I don’t use it. It is under “launch pad” and uses 15.3 MB of disk space. It does not work with a Mac. You also need internet access in order to get it to work on a pc. You do have a removal tool to delete that information. I just keep the files there just in case.

Here is some data on the package
Data traveler 101
usb 2.0 Assembled in Taiwan
urDrive
10MB/s read
5MB/s write

Downloading a 1.5 GB movie, it should take 5 minutes. On my iMac it took over 35 minutes through a 7 port USB splitter. I tried it by plugging it directly into the iMac and it took around 5 minutes. The 7 port splitter works for basic stuff but obviously not for large files with this USB drive. Plug this in directly to your computer's USB port for large files
It copied the same file to my iMac hard drive in around 9 minutes. Faster than I thought it would take

I have had some luck with some other USB flash drives. Amusingly the ones I really like I got for free and I have no idea what the brand is. The ones I have not had much luck with are made out of cheap plastic. The one that is good is covered in rubber. At least from my experience.

The san disk with the 45 degree angle on the port end is the worst I have seen. It is loose and breaks easily. Two of them have failed on my family members and me. AVOID this one. Part of the reason I haven’t bought a San Disk again…for the time being anyways

I gave it a rating of 3. I consider it average. I expect my devices to last at least 3 years and I am afraid it will not last one. But if I am wrong, I’ll update this for Kingston’s sake.

Dimensions