Kingston DataTraveler 100 G2 (8 GB) (DT100G28GBZ)

Faster, Cheaper, and More Storage: Kingston 8 Gb Data Traveler.

Nov 8, 2010

Pros:High storage capacity, portability,price, and performance.

Cons:Lacking formatting for ready boost.

The Bottom Line: If you want an inexpensive, good performance flash drive, this is for you.

Faster, Cheaper, and More Storage: Kingston 8 Gb Data Traveler.

By

James P. Zaworski

I am a continuing fan and consumer of computer technology. I recently changed jobs, and am managing the academic teams of two schools, both of which are more than 1 hour away from my home by public transportation here in Shenzhen, China. A lot of my training materials, lessons, and software for computer assisted language learning are on my rather large and ungainly Toshiba laptop computer, and it is a big hassle to have to lug this monster around with me. I have a Kingston 4 Gb Data Traveler, but have a whopping 6 Gb of material that I need to bring with me to work daily. I was just going to pick up another 4 Gb USB flash drive, but 3 Gb of software cannot be separated, so I picked up the 8 Gb Data Traveler, and am quite pleased with it.

What I Like About the Kingston 8 Gb Data Traveler (second generation).

High capacity.

The 8 Gb of storage (okay, it’s about 7.97 Gb because of the Kingston driver software), is just enough for me to put all of my files onto and have nearly 2 Gb available for other needs. The Kingston series has third generation flash drives with larger and larger capacities (32 Gb to 256 Gb), but for my needs, the 8 Gb Data Traveler is suitable (for now).

Versatility.

The Kingston Data Traveler is compatible with both Mac and Windows operating system computers. I have Windows 7 on my computer, and it works well on this platform as well as with Vista and XP. My work computer runs XP, and there is no difficulty in using the files and transferring the files to and fro my Data Traveler.

Portability.

Physically, the 8 Gb flash is the same size as the 4 Gb flash. It fits into your pocket. The only danger here is losing it, because it is so small.

Price.

I paid 70 RMB, which is $10.48. Amazon.com sells it for $12.49, so it’s a steal of a deal for this USB flash drive.

Data Transfer/Speed.

The data transfer speed is adequate for my needs. I transferred a 3 Gb piece of data in about 5 minutes from the Kingston Data Traveler to my desktop computer at work. I don’t technically know the speed, but it is not inordinately slow as compared with other flash drives that I have used .

What I Don’t Like.
With both Windows 7 and Vista, there is a feature called “ready boost”, which allows the user to expand the ‘virtual memory’ (RAM, that is, random access memory) by utilizing the physical space in a USB flash drive. With my Verbatim 4 Gb flash, I can do this. It appears the Kingston is not formatted to do this, and I do not know how to format it, or if it is physically possible for it to function as an additional 8 Gb of RAM, that is the only thing I am disappointed with.

However, all in all, the 8 Gb Kingston Data Traveler is inexpensive, has a high storage capacity, fits in your pocket, and has a reasonably fast performance and data transfer rate. It suits my needs, is much easier to transport than an external hard drive or laptop/notebook, and should be adequate until the next best thing since sliced bread comes along to tempt me in t

Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 DT101G2 32GBZ Flash Drive - 32 GB - USB 2.0 - Purple

#9;Sleek, practical and attractively designed, the affordable DataTraveler 101 G2 serves the needs of the budget-conscious user as well as those looki...
Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 DT101G2/32GBZ Flash Drive - 32 GB - USB 2.0 - Purple

Sleek, practical and attractively designed, the affordable DataTraveler 101 G2 serves the needs of the budget-conscious user as well as those looking ...
Kingston 32 GB DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DT101G2/32GBZ)

The Kingston 32 GB DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 USB 2.0 Flash Drive is a convenient storage companion that lets you take all of your data to your hom...
Dell

Lot Of 5 Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

Lot Of 5 Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

LOT OF 5 KINGSTON DataTraveler DT100 G3 8GB USB 3.0 FLASH DRIVE DT100G3/8GB Brand new in sealed factory package - 100% GENUINE - Shipped from USA

Kingston DT101G2/32GBZ 32GB DataTraveler 101 G2

Kingston DT101G2/32GBZ 32GB DataTraveler 101 G2

Kingston DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 (G2) is here! This convenient storage companion lets you take all of your data to your home, office, school and...
Lot Of 3 Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

Lot Of 3 Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

LOT OF 3 KINGSTON DataTraveler DT100 G3 8GB USB 3.0 FLASH DRIVE DT100G3/8GB Brand new in sealed factory package - 100% GENUINE - Shipped from USA

WholeSale 10 piece Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB 32G 32 GB USB 3.0

WholeSale 10 piece Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB 32G 32 GB USB 3.0

WholeSale 10 piece Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB 32G 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Red DTIG4/32GB
Newegg.com

Lot Of 10 Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

Lot Of 10 Kingston Datatraveler Dt100 G3 8gb Usb 3.0 Flash Drive Dt100g3/8gb

LOT OF 10 KINGSTON DataTraveler DT100 G3 8GB USB 3.0 FLASH DRIVE DT100G3/8GB Brand new in sealed factory package - 100% GENUINE - Shipped from USA