Comments on Kirkland Dental Chews for your dog (from Costco)" (24 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Update to my previous review
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Sounds like the worst is behind you, tinakrva. Sure hope your dog continues to get well. I have never bought these again and won't either.

Thanks for your comment.

Nov 3, 2013
6:54 pm PST

Update to my previous review
by tinakrva
Yes, these chews are still on the market. We brought our 3 year old dog home from the vet, but she ended back at the vet because she was peeing everywhere. There was blood in her urine and she was on antibiotics for another week. She seems to be fine now. So far we have spent over $1100. Before eating these chews, she was a maniac--running, jumping, playing all the time. It has taken over a month to get her back to normal.

I am so sorry for all of you who lost a pet to these potentially toxic chews.
Nov 1, 2013
3:50 pm PDT

Re: Beware of this product
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Thanks tinakrva....I'm glad your dog is healthy again, but how scary to think it was probably these chews. Are they still on the market? I only bought them once.

Hope you write some reviews here.

Sep 28, 2013
9:40 pm PDT

Beware of this product
by tinakrva
My dog LOVES these chews. She recently spent two days in the hospital with pancreatitis, kidney and liver issues. She was hooked up to an IV for close to three days. After eliminating all other possibilities, I am afraid to say that I think that it might possibly be these chews that made her ill.

After looking online, it seems that others have the same belief and same health issues....pancreatitis, liver and kidney failure.

Although the package says Made in the US, it also says that made from globally sourced materials. I cannot in good faith, ever give her these chews again.
Sep 28, 2013
11:04 am PDT

Re: kirkland den chews
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Hi mspebbles, I hope that Costco has removed these from the market by now. I am sorry to hear of your dog's suffering. Sounds horrible. Thank you for commenting.

Nov 30, 2012
9:16 pm PST

kirkland den chews
by mspebbles
We gave the Kirkland Dental Chews to our two dogs both threw them up. Pebbles , the Jack Russell became very ill and was bleeding internally. Vet in our small town had us rush her to medical school. She was in very critical condition. They ived her up for plasma fusion. She suffered cardiac arrest and passed away on Tue 11/25/12. It's been devastating! She was a healthy 7yr old bouncy jack . We know she was low on vitamin k which vet school said indicates poison. We were shocked when we searched and found the reviews. More testing being done. We don't care the cost. Why are these on the shelve? I see bad reviews back to 3/11. We've contacted Costco. Manager of store stated well they needed to chew them up really well or could cut them up inside!!! Really...why would a product like that be on he market?
Nov 29, 2012
10:09 pm PST

Re: Re: Kirkland Dental Chews
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
I am very sorry to hear about your dog's passing. I have updated my review with a strong warning. I don't know if Costco still carries this product, but next time I go there, I will let their management know. My sincere condolences.

Sep 22, 2012
9:00 pm PDT

by mcaaustin
About a month ago, my 9-year old Lab mix became very sick after eating the Kirkland Dental chews. We gave her no more than 2 a day. After awhile, she began vomiting and was diagnosed with pancreatitis and stayed at the vet for 2 nights on an IV. She came home for a few days but refused to eat and her blood work got worse. We had to put her down. Only 9 years old and had always been healthy before eating the chews. I believe that the Kirkland Dental Chews are toxic and led to her demise.
Mar 21, 2012
6:32 am PDT

Re: Ok for our Labrador
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Thank you, All. Our dog has not had a bad reaction to these, but if they are unsafe, they should be avoided.

Mar 1, 2012
1:21 pm PST

Ok for our Labrador
by chrisntaku
I am very sorry to hear that some (perhaps many) dogs have had a toxic reaction to these chews. Our Labrador has never had a negative reaction, and loves these chews. We give him one each day after his breakfast, and have done so for about a year with no negative effect. His teeth are noticably white and clean...no tartar, and he's a 7 year old dog. Yes, they smell, but all the better from the dog's point of view.

I would, however, encourage anyone who has had a negative experience with these chews, especially if it resulted in toxic reactions and huge vet bills, to contact the powers that be at Costco. This is very concerning and these chews should be tested or discontinued.
Feb 29, 2012
6:13 am PST

AVOID these!
by cjandl
Our Golden Retriver had severe diarrhea after eating these chews. We are certain this was the cause as this happened on two seperate occassions. Shame on Costco for selling such poison!
Jan 19, 2012

Jun 16, 2011
11:35 am PDT

Re: Re: Kirkland Dental Chews
by jarditti
I also hope other dogs do not get sick eating this toxic product. Better take off that review/endorsement/advertisement or changing by adding a warning that it made some dogs very sick. How would feel if someone believed what you wrote or copied from the label, fed the poison to their dog(s) and it(they)died as mine almost did?
Jun 14, 2011
1:51 pm PDT

by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Thank you, jarditti. I hope your dog recovers soon.

Jun 14, 2011
8:51 am PDT

Kirkland Dental Chews
by jarditti
When taken together my comments are enough of a review and/or substitutes for one. They are also warnings to dog owners. Kirkland Dental Chews are toxic.
After eating them in accordance with instructions on the label my dog became very sick. He had to stay in the vet hospital for three days on a an IV.
Following what seemed to be a recovery he had a relapse and is back on an IV in the vet hospital. Blood tests and an ultrasound examination point to lingering liver damage. There may also be bladder problems. He is suffering and I cry for him.
My bill is approaching $2,000 and my rise higher. Other have also reported problems (see my previous comments.
A product which is touted in a review as "beneficial to your dog's health . . . " (see endorsement in review of 26 April 2011) would not cause such problems.
Stay away from Kirkland Dental Chews, don't feed them to your dog, ignore/don't believe the glowing review, make sure your dog does not suffer like mine and save yourself some money. If you were mislead into buying Kirkland Dental Chews, take them back.
Jun 13, 2011
8:53 pm PDT

Re: Kirkland Dental Ches
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Thank you for your opinion, jarditti. I have expressed mine here. It is my own opinion based on my experience with this product. It is not an ad, just my own honest opinion. Perhaps you could write a review about your experience as well.

Jun 13, 2011
7:25 am PDT

Kirkland Dental Ches
by jarditti
To me the review is one-sided and reads like an endorsement or an advertisement. A balanced review would have mentioned that others (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110409143951AAtOfBZ)
have reported problems with this product which in my view is toxic, damaging and bad for dogs.
It would have been easy to search for Kirkland Dental Chews with Google before writing the review. Including references to other comments would have made it balanced review rather than a paean to a toxic product.
I hope that not too many people will pay attention to this glorification of a toxic product which almost killed my dog. He is recovering now. My vet bill now is $1500 and growing. The vet deserves every penny plus a big bouquet of flowers because she saved my dog's life.
If people will pay attention and believe what this review says they may buy this poison and feed it to their dogs. As a result other dogs may get sick or die. I am trying to prevent this from happening. That is why I wrote my initial comment and am writing this one. My suggestion is to remove the review and all comments about it from this site.
Jun 8, 2011
6:33 pm PDT

by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Hello Jarditti, I got the information from the packaging the product came in. My dog has had no adverse effects from eating these. My only complaint is that they smell really bad. I'm sorry for your negative experience. I just gave you my honest opinion from my own experience with this product.

Jun 8, 2011
10:11 am PDT

Kirkland Dental Chews
by jarditti
I find the previous review regarding the Kirkland Dental Chews curious to say the least. Where did the information about the source of the glucosamine come from? When did the information in the warning come from? I did not see this information on the package.
This review does not agree with reports elsewhere on the World Wide Web and my own experience. Kirkland Dental Chews do not deserve four stars. Zero (0) stars or minus 5 starts is what it should get. It made my dog very sick, damaged his liver and may yet kill him. He spent 3 days in a vet hospital hooked up to IV and may have to go back. Others also report pathological effects.
I find the previous review impossible to trust.
Jun 7, 2011
8:09 pm PDT

Re: Hi Gail,
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Hi Marcy, Sorry about your computer problems. Yes, they are a pain! Thanks for letting me know; that was very nice of you.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon, gail
8:58 pm PDT

Re: Pugs
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Pets Home and Garden
Thank you, Thomas....from one pug owner to another! Pilarzmom also has a pug, did you know?

Thanks for the tip about double-dipping. Will definitely check it out.

8:47 pm PDT

Hi Gail,
by craftswoman
Just wanted to let you know that I have been having a lot of computer problems lately and especially with Epinions. The pages either won't download at all or take forever so I haven't been able to read or rate much. So, you won't be seeing me around here until I figure out what the problem is! Hopefully, that won't take too long :- (

What a pain!

Marcy
10:22 am PDT

Pugs
by texas-swede
Thank you from one Pug owner to another. Our Pugs really deserve this. They are born to be loved. Also thank you for adding this review to the "Celebrate America" write-off and there is also the possibility to double dip into Talyseon/Becky's/Dusty's "Made in USA" write-off.

Our Pug Daisy say thank you for the dental cleaning treats coming her way in a near future.

Thomas