Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Food - 24 Cans (12 each of Beef & Chicken) Reviews

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Kirkland Canned Dog Food Has Updated Recipes

Sep 9, 2012 (Updated Sep 11, 2012)

Pros:Pull-top lids, good nutritional value

Cons:couple sketchy ingredients, cans a bit small, only sold at Costco

The Bottom Line: The folks at Diamond/Kirkland have really stepped up their canned dog food recipes. Much better this time around! 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Canned dog food is mostly WATER…and for good reason. Dry dog food lacks the proper amount of moisture a dog needs for proper digestion. Mixing in some warm water is good, but we also add some of this Kirkland canned food.  Apparently, Costco has replaced the older recipe with this newer canned recipe in gravy. This newer update has better ingredients.

Our dogs love this stuff, but our only complaint is that the cans are smaller so we have to use two cans at dinner time for our four dogs. Canned food can be fairly costly these days, but Costco really makes it easy to feed canned food on a more regular basis. We used to feed our dogs their dry food with a little warm water to wake up the flavor, but after a while two of our dogs got bored.  So we started adding this Kirkland canned food to their meals (along with the warm water) and the furry trio devours it all.  Gone are the days where one dog would leave some leftovers for another dog to eat.

We were paying around $1 per can of "marginal" canned food while this 24-pack of Kirkland dog food cost me about 50 cents per can and the ingredients are so much better for our furry family members. Twelve of each formula: Beef & vegetables and Chicken & vegetables. All of that, and they have convenient easy-to-open pull-tops.

Since the early days when Costco & Price Club offered dog food, I've noticed that the ingredient list on Kirkland's dog foods and biscuits have become much healthier than when I first considered the brand.

The can lists a suggested feeding schedule for various dog weights and whether you'll feed straight canned food or mixed with their dry food. We feed each of our two German Shepherds and a young black Lab - 1/3 of each of the cans mixed with two big scoops of the dry food each meal.

It should be noted that Kirkland's pet foods and biscuits are actually made by Diamond Pet Foods - diamondpet.com

Ingredients:

(Beef & Vegetables Formula)

chicken, beef broth, chicken broth, chicken liver, beef, dried egg whites, dried egg product, potatoes, potato starch, carrots, peas, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, flaxseed meal, salt, guar gum, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium carbonate, vitamins (vitamin E, A, B12, D3 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate,  zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodate), choline chloride.

Calories: 1,024 kcal/kg calculated metabolized energy

(Chicken & Vegetables Formula)

chicken, chicken broth, beef broth, chicken liver, dried egg whites, dried egg product, potatoes, potato starch, carrots, peas, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, flaxseed meal, salt, guar gum, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium carbonate, vitamins (vitamin E, A, B12, D3 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate,  zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodate), choline chloride.

Calories: 998 kcal/kg calculated metabolized energy

It should be mentioned that they’ve done away with brewer's yeast and brewer’s rice that can cause intestinal issues BUT dried beet pulp is like sugar to dogs and causes hyperactivity and/or leads to Diabetes over time.

Guaranteed Analysis:  (same for both recipes)

crude protein: 8.0% min
crude fat: 5.0% min
crude fiber: 1.5% max
moisture: 82.0% max
omega-6 fatty acids: 0.80% min
omega-3 fatty acids: 0.10% min

I think the list is pretty healthy in the grand scheme of things.  I just wish they'd get rid of the dried beet pulp and the potassium chloride.

Final Words:

Is the Kirkland / Diamond Pet Foods brand the best out there? In a word: no. But it's certainly much better than the garbage brands in the same price range. On a scale of healthy dog food, I'd rate this product a strong 4.5 out of 5.  Certainly, there are much better pet foods available, but the cost is usually double if not triple the Kirkland / Diamond brand.

Something to consider in these troubled economic times. And since all three of our furry kids like the smell and taste of this recipe, it has become our usual canned food choice.

Compared to the Nutro canned dog food BOTH are 78% moisture but the Kirkland costs .47 per can versus the .99 for the Nutro.

* * Thanks to Ladysmom (Billie) for adding this to the EpiDatabase.

Please show your pets all the love and affection you have each day because you never know when their time on Earth is up.

Please Read My Related Reviews:

Kirkland Signature Men's Premium V-neck Tee

Template By Froo! Kirkland Signature Men's Premium V-Neck Tee
Kirkland Signature Mens T Tee Shirt V Neck Premium Pima Cotton Purple Size M

Kirkland Signature Mens T Tee Shirt V Neck Premium Pima Cotton Purple Size M

bowlby5 Store New Kirkland Signature Casual T-Shirt Description Brand New with Tags Attached ~ SHIPS FAST 100% AUTHENTIC - Kirkland Signature Men's T-...

Kirkland Signature Mens T Tee Shirt V Neck Premium Pima Cotton Gray - Size M

Kirkland Signature Mens T Tee Shirt V Neck Premium Pima Cotton Gray - Size M

bowlby5 store New Kirkland Signature Casual T-Shirt Description Brand New with Tags Attached ~ SHIPS FAST 100% AUTHENTIC - Kirkland Signature Men's T-...

Super Premium Dog Biscuits Two Flavor Variety 15lb by Kirkland Signature [Pet Supplies]

Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Men's Short Sleeve Premium T-shirt-green-medium-nwt

Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Men's Short Sleeve Premium T-shirt-green-medium-nwt

Kirkland Signatureâ„¢Men's Short Sleeve Premium Pima T-Shirt in Green. This is size Medium, 100% pima cotton, and brand new with tag.Please see our ot...

Kirkland Signature Mens Wool Flat Front Pants Italy - Solid Black Size 34 X 34

Kirkland Signature Mens Wool Flat Front Pants Italy - Solid Black Size 34 X 34

bowlby5 store New Mens KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Pants Description Brand New With Tags Attached A First Quality Item Mens KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Dress Pants Colo...

Kirkland Signature Women's Premium Pima Cotton V-neck 1x Purple

Kirkland Signature Women's Premium Pima Cotton V-neck 1x Purple

Please Read Before Buying Thanks -You are buying Kirkland Signature Women's Premium Pima Cotton V-Neck 1X Purple .THIS IS A BRAND NEW ITEM W/TAGS (as ...

Kirkland Signature Womens Premium Pima Cotton V-neck T-shirt White

Kirkland Signature Womens Premium Pima Cotton V-neck T-shirt White

NWT KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Womens PREMIUM PIMA COTTON V-NECK T-SHIRT Color: White Size: 2X Condition: New with Tags · 100% Cotton · Machine wash cold ·...

Kirkland Signature Mens Wool Flat Front Dress Pants - Solid Black Size 42 X 30

Kirkland Signature Mens Wool Flat Front Dress Pants - Solid Black Size 42 X 30

Kirkland Signature Women's Premium Pima Cotton V-neck Black 1x

Kirkland Signature Women's Premium Pima Cotton V-neck Black 1x

Please Read Before Buying Thanks -You are buying Kirkland Signature Women's V-Neck Black 1X .THIS IS A BRAND NEW ITEM W/TAGS (as seen on the photo)___...