Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Food - 24 Cans (12 each of Beef & Chicken) Reviews

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Kirkland Canned Dog Food Has Updated Recipes

Sep 9, 2012 (Updated Sep 11, 2012)

Pros:Pull-top lids, good nutritional value

Cons:couple sketchy ingredients, cans a bit small, only sold at Costco

The Bottom Line: The folks at Diamond/Kirkland have really stepped up their canned dog food recipes. Much better this time around! 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Canned dog food is mostly WATER…and for good reason. Dry dog food lacks the proper amount of moisture a dog needs for proper digestion. Mixing in some warm water is good, but we also add some of this Kirkland canned food.  Apparently, Costco has replaced the older recipe with this newer canned recipe in gravy. This newer update has better ingredients.

Our dogs love this stuff, but our only complaint is that the cans are smaller so we have to use two cans at dinner time for our four dogs. Canned food can be fairly costly these days, but Costco really makes it easy to feed canned food on a more regular basis. We used to feed our dogs their dry food with a little warm water to wake up the flavor, but after a while two of our dogs got bored.  So we started adding this Kirkland canned food to their meals (along with the warm water) and the furry trio devours it all.  Gone are the days where one dog would leave some leftovers for another dog to eat.

We were paying around $1 per can of "marginal" canned food while this 24-pack of Kirkland dog food cost me about 50 cents per can and the ingredients are so much better for our furry family members. Twelve of each formula: Beef & vegetables and Chicken & vegetables. All of that, and they have convenient easy-to-open pull-tops.

Since the early days when Costco & Price Club offered dog food, I've noticed that the ingredient list on Kirkland's dog foods and biscuits have become much healthier than when I first considered the brand.

The can lists a suggested feeding schedule for various dog weights and whether you'll feed straight canned food or mixed with their dry food. We feed each of our two German Shepherds and a young black Lab - 1/3 of each of the cans mixed with two big scoops of the dry food each meal.

It should be noted that Kirkland's pet foods and biscuits are actually made by Diamond Pet Foods - diamondpet.com

Ingredients:

(Beef & Vegetables Formula)

chicken, beef broth, chicken broth, chicken liver, beef, dried egg whites, dried egg product, potatoes, potato starch, carrots, peas, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, flaxseed meal, salt, guar gum, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium carbonate, vitamins (vitamin E, A, B12, D3 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate,  zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodate), choline chloride.

Calories: 1,024 kcal/kg calculated metabolized energy

(Chicken & Vegetables Formula)

chicken, chicken broth, beef broth, chicken liver, dried egg whites, dried egg product, potatoes, potato starch, carrots, peas, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, flaxseed meal, salt, guar gum, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium carbonate, vitamins (vitamin E, A, B12, D3 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate,  zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodate), choline chloride.

Calories: 998 kcal/kg calculated metabolized energy

It should be mentioned that they’ve done away with brewer's yeast and brewer’s rice that can cause intestinal issues BUT dried beet pulp is like sugar to dogs and causes hyperactivity and/or leads to Diabetes over time.

Guaranteed Analysis:  (same for both recipes)

crude protein: 8.0% min
crude fat: 5.0% min
crude fiber: 1.5% max
moisture: 82.0% max
omega-6 fatty acids: 0.80% min
omega-3 fatty acids: 0.10% min

I think the list is pretty healthy in the grand scheme of things.  I just wish they'd get rid of the dried beet pulp and the potassium chloride.

Final Words:

Is the Kirkland / Diamond Pet Foods brand the best out there? In a word: no. But it's certainly much better than the garbage brands in the same price range. On a scale of healthy dog food, I'd rate this product a strong 4.5 out of 5.  Certainly, there are much better pet foods available, but the cost is usually double if not triple the Kirkland / Diamond brand.

Something to consider in these troubled economic times. And since all three of our furry kids like the smell and taste of this recipe, it has become our usual canned food choice.

Compared to the Nutro canned dog food BOTH are 78% moisture but the Kirkland costs .47 per can versus the .99 for the Nutro.

* * Thanks to Ladysmom (Billie) for adding this to the EpiDatabase.

Please show your pets all the love and affection you have each day because you never know when their time on Earth is up.

Please Read My Related Reviews:

Bacon Beggin' Strips

Meaty Bone Dog Biscuits

Kirkland Signature Premium Performance™ Multivitamin 300 Tablets

Kirkland Signature Premium Performance™ Multivitamin 300 Tablets

Kirkland Signature Premium Performance Multivitamin 300 Tablets Kirkland Signature Premium Performance Multivitamin 300 Tablets Kirkland Signature Pre...
Kirkland Signature™ Natural Psyllium Fiber, 360 Doses, (180 Doses X 2)

Kirkland Signature™ Natural Psyllium Fiber, 360 Doses, (180 Doses X 2)

Kirkland Signature™ Natural Psyllium Fiber, 360 Doses, (180 Doses x 2) Compare to METAMUCIL® active ingredient^Take Kirkland Signature™ Natural P...

Kirkland Signature Premium Beef Steak Strips Jerky 12 Oz

Kirkland Signature Premium Beef Steak Strips Jerky 12 Oz

Listing details Extra Thick Cut Smoke Flavoring Added 98% Fat Free, Gluten Free Good Source of Protein, Fully Cooked, Ready to Eat (Refrigerate within...

Kirkland Signature 42 Round Pet Bed In Gray Tropical, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 42 Round Pet Bed In Gray Tropical, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 42 Round Pet Bed In Gray Tropical, OBO, NEW Cozy and soft, the Kirkland Signature™ round pet bed allows the family pet to relax i...

Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate with Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 400 Softgels

Product Details Contains Fish (Anchovy, Herring, Salmon, Sardine and Sprat) and Soy No Artificial Colors No Artificial Flavors No Yeast, Starch or Glu...
Kirkland Signature Flea & Tick Control For Medium Dogs 6 Month Supply

Kirkland Signature Flea & Tick Control For Medium Dogs 6 Month Supply

Box is opened.Contain 6 Doses sealed.May have different lot numbers. Kirkland Signature - Water Resistant 6-Month Flea Tick Control for Medium Dogs,13...

Kirkland Signature 24  Snuggler Pet Bed, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 24 Snuggler Pet Bed, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 24 Snuggler Pet Bed, OBO, NEW Cradle your pet in comfort. The luxurious Kirkland Signature nest bed with faux fur inner and durabl...

Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter Pretzel, 52 Ounce

Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter Pretzel, 52 Ounce

Features: Pretzel Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter Pretzel, 52 Ounce Zero cholesterol, pretzel. Pretzel.
Kirkland Signature Fish Oil - 1000mg -- 400 Softgels - Free Shipping

Kirkland Signature Fish Oil - 1000mg -- 400 Softgels - Free Shipping

Kirkland Signature Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg 400 Softgels Brand New, Factory Sealed Late Expiration Date We do not ship to freight forwarders. Any orde...

Kirkland Signature™ Natural Psyllium Fiber, 360 Doses, 2 Bottles, 180 Doses Each

Compare to METAMUCIL® active ingredient^Take Kirkland Signature™ Natural Psyllium Fiber into an empty glass and mix with at least 8 ounces of water...