Kirkland Signature Super Premium Dog Food - Lamb & Rice, Chicken & Rice (24  14-oz. cans) Reviews

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Dog Food - Lamb & Rice, Chicken & Rice (24 14-oz. cans)

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Premium Canned Dog Food at a Low Price!

Feb 8, 2011 (Updated Sep 9, 2012)

Pros:fairly healthy ingredients, convenient pull-tops

Cons:brewer's rice, dried beet pulp

The Bottom Line: Above average ingredients for a low-cost. But they could remove a few more things to make it even better.  4 stars

PLEASE NOTE: Costco has replaced this product with newer recipes and they're MUCH better. I have reviewed them here.

Let's face it, canned dog food is mostly WATER! Yet it can be pretty costly these days and with three finicky German Shepherds, we needed to find a better and more cost-effective solution. We were paying .75 to a $1 per can of "marginal" canned food while this 24-pack of Kirkland dog food cost me $11.69.  That's 48.7 cents per can and the ingredients are so much better for our furry family members. Twelve of each formula: Chicken & Rice and Lamb & Rice. All of that, and they have convenient easy-to-open pull-tops. About the only downside is getting in and out of a Costco and that's if there's a Costco warehouse near you.

Within the last couple of years, I've noticed that the ingredient list on Kirkland's dog foods and biscuits have become much healthier than when I first considered the brand.  I guess they took a look at their sales and realized something needed to be done. I'm so glad they did something, because now I can get my dogs higher quality nutrition for a lot less money.

We used to feed our dogs their dry food with a little warm water to wake up the flavor, but after a while two of our dogs got bored.  So we started adding this Kirkland canned food to their meals (along with the warm water) and the furry trio devour it all.  Gone are the days where one dog would leave some leftovers for another dog to eat.

The can lists a suggested feeding schedule for various dog weights and whether you'll feed straight canned food or mixed with their dry food. We feed each of our three German Shepherds - 1/3 of a can mixed with two big scoops of the dry food each meal.

It should be noted that Kirkland's pet foods and biscuits are actually made by Diamond Pet Foods - diamondpet.com

Ingredients:

(Lamb & Rice Formula)
lamb, lamb broth, lamb liver, lamb tripe, brewer's rice, dried egg product, fish meal, dried beet pulp, lamb meal, dicalcium phosphate, choline chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, DL-methionine, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, vitamin E, ascorbic acid, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, manganouse oxide, biotin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12, niacin, riboflavin, inositol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), potassium iodide, vitamin D3, folic acid, cobalt carbonate.

(Chicken & Rice Formula)
chicken, chicken broth, poultry liver, brewer's rice, chicken meal, dried beet pulp, fish meal, dried egg product, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, sodium chloride, DL-methionine, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, vitamin E, ascorbic acid, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, manganouse oxide, biotin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12, niacin, riboflavin, inositol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), potassium iodide, vitamin D3, folic acid, cobalt carbonate.

It should be mentioned that brewer's yeast and rice can cause intestinal issues and dried beet pulp is like sugar to dogs and causes hyperactivity and/or leads to Diabetes over time.

Crude Analysis:
(for both flavors)
crude protein: 9.0% min
crude fat: 6.0% min
crude fiber: 1.0% max
moisture: 78.0% max

I think the list is pretty healthy in the grand scheme of things.  I just wish they'd get rid of the brewer's rice, the beet pulp and the potassium chloride.

Final Words:

Is the Kirkland / Diamond Pet Foods brand the best out there? In a word: no. But it's certainly much better than the garbage brands in the same price range. On a scale of healthy dog food, I'd rate this brand a strong 7.5 out of 10.  Certainly, there are much better pet foods available, but the cost is usually double if not triple the Kirkland / Diamond brand. Something to consider in these troubled economic times.

Compared to the Nutro canned dog food BOTH are 78% moisture but the Kirkland costs .47 per can versus the .99 for the Nutro.

* * Thanks to Ladysmom (Billie) for adding this to the EpiDatabase.

Please show your pets all the love and affection you have each day because you never know when their time on Earth is up.

Please Read My Related Reviews:

Bacon Beggin' Strips

Meaty Bone Dog Biscuits

Kirkland Signature 6-month Flea & Tick Control Medium Dogs 13-31 Lbs

Kirkland Signature 6-month Flea & Tick Control Medium Dogs 13-31 Lbs

Kirkland Signature 6-Month Flea Tick Control Medium Dogs 13-31 lbs Box sealed, includes 6 sealed applicators FREE SHIPPING TO THE CONTINENTAL U.S. ONL...

Kirkland Signature 6-month Water Resistant Flea & Tick For Small Dogs, 6-12 Lbs

Kirkland Signature 6-month Water Resistant Flea & Tick For Small Dogs, 6-12 Lbs

Product Description:Water resistant Kirkland Signature Water Resistant 6-Month Flea Tick Control for Small Dogs,6-12 Lbs

Kirkland Signature Premium Beef Steak Strips Jerky 12 Oz

Kirkland Signature Premium Beef Steak Strips Jerky 12 Oz

Listing details Extra Thick Cut Smoke Flavoring Added 98% Fat Free, Gluten Free Good Source of Protein, Fully Cooked, Ready to Eat (Refrigerate within...

Kirkland Signature 42 Round Pet Bed In Gray Tropical, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 42 Round Pet Bed In Gray Tropical, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 42 Round Pet Bed In Gray Tropical, OBO, NEW Cozy and soft, the Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ round pet bed allows the family pet to relax i...

Kirkland Signature 24  Snuggler Pet Bed, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 24 Snuggler Pet Bed, Obo,

Kirkland Signature 24 Snuggler Pet Bed, OBO, NEW Cradle your pet in comfort. The luxurious Kirkland Signature nest bed with faux fur inner and durabl...

Kirkland Signature 24  Snuggler Pet Bed

Kirkland Signature Pillow Top Orthopedic Pet Napper Bed Floral Linen

Kirkland Signature Pillow Top Orthopedic Pet Napper Bed Floral Linen

Kirkland Signature Pillow Top Orthopedic Pet Napper Tan Black Floral Linen All Items Are Brand New In Box While Quantities Last!Attractive and stylish...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Medium Dogs 13-31 Lb And 6 Months Of Age Or Older

Kirkland Flea and Tick Control MEDIUM DOGS 13-31 Lb and 6 Months of Age or Older FEATURES ALWAYS FRESH FROM STOCK – FACTORY SEALED PACKAGING!!! PLEA...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Large Dogs 32-79 Lbs And 6 Months Of Age Or Older

Kirkland Flea and Tick Control LARGE DOGS 32-79 Lbs and 6 Months of Age or Older FEATURES ALWAYS FRESH FROM STOCK – FACTORY SEALED PACKAGING!!! PLEA...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Small Dogs 6-12 Lbs. And 6 Months Of Age Or Older

Kirkland Flea and Tick Control SMALL DOGS 6-12 Lbs. and 6 Months of Age or Older FEATURES ALWAYS FRESH FROM STOCK – FACTORY SEALED PACKAGING!!! PLEA...