Kirkland Super Premium Dog Biscuits Reviews

Kirkland Super Premium Dog Biscuits

4 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Yes, Costco Sells Healthy Dog Biscuits

Dec 29, 2009 (Updated Sep 12, 2013)

Pros:very cost-effective, Glucosamine and Condroitin for hip and joint health

Cons:Brewer's rice, brewer's yeast, dried beet pulp, potassium chloride

The Bottom Line: 15 pounds for under $11 is a great deal.  Stock up your fallout shelter if you have dogs ~ 4 stars

We all know that Costco sells many items in bulk to save us money.  With three large German Shepherds, this box o' biscuits is very cost-effective for us.  Costco sells this 15 pound box of dog biscuits - hand-packed so as to limit the amount of potential breakage.  If they're really hand-packed, I love the way in which they're packed because there are layers.  Each layer is comprised of rows of biscuits on their side (more resistant to breakage) and separated by a piece of cardboard.

For the amount you get, that's quite a deal compared to most other biscuits out there. The big purple, green and white box measures 13" wide x 9-3/4" tall x (roughly) 8" deep and sells it for $10.69.  Each biscuit measures (about) 4" x 1-5/8" x 1/2".  Each box has a "best before" date stamped on it and translates to about a one-year shelf life, but I doubt the box will sit anywhere near that especially with three large dogs.

I love that both biscuit formulas have Glucosamine and Chondroitin in the mix for a dog's hip and joint health.  I have learned that the word "meal" is not as bad as I originally thought - since I equated them with some sort of by-products." Thankfully, they're not by-products. So I really can't say anything bad about these biscuits other than the ingredients potassium chloride, dried beet pulp, brewers rice and brewers dried yeast. And while sodium selenite isn't great either, it's LAST on the lists so they're not a huge issue for me.

I also pack some of these biscuits in a re-sealable baggie and store them in my SUV for times when we're hiking or away from the house for long periods of time.

Kirkland recommends not to give more than two biscuits per ten pounds of your dog's body weight - per day.  Our three large dogs get two in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Since there are two different flavors of biscuits, I'll list both sets of ingredients and both sets of guaranteed analysis numbers.

INGREDIENTS:

Lamb Meal & Rice Formula

wheat flour, lamb meal, rice flour, dried beet pulp, brewers dried yeast (with natural flavors), animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols - a source of vitamin E), dried egg product, fish meal, chicken liver meal, corn starch, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, Glucosamine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin A-acetate, D-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, niacin, biotin, copper sulfate, choline chloride, Chondroitin, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Chondroitin - min 35mg/kg
calories - 129 per biscuit

INGREDIENTS:

Chicken Meal & Rice Formula:

wheat flour, ground whole wheat, chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, brewers dried yeast (with natural flavors), dried beet pulp, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols - a source of vitamin E), calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, glucosamine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin A-acetate, D-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, copper sulfate, choline chloride, Chondroitin, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Glucosamine - min 375mg/kg
Chondroitin - min 35mg/kg
calories - 108 per biscuit

FINAL WORDS:

The biscuits are dog bone shaped with the word "KIRKLAND" in relief across its front.  I rate these biscuits 4.5 stars and round down due to the potassium chloride content.

Kirkland claims that when a dog eats these biscuits that they're good for the dog's teeth, gums and breath.  Well, okay but I'm not so sure because my dog's breath smells like, well, dog breath.  I mean, the dog's breath will smell like the biscuit they just ate for a few minutes but the dog breath "stank" does return.

I tried a taste test with the dogs this evening.  I placed one Old Mother Hubbard biscuit, one Kirkland biscuit and one Wet Noses biscuit (for larger dogs) on the kitchen tile floor.  I then allowed one dog into the kitchen at a time to see which biscuit they'd go for first.

Two of my German Shepherds (Tonka and his mother Mynka) grabbed the Wet Noses biscuit first.  Both dogs then went for the Kirkland second.  Scooby (all 167 pounds of him) grabbed the OMH first and then the Wet Noses biscuit.  So there you have it... 2 out of 3 dogs prefer the smell and taste of Wet Noses dog biscuits.

UPDATE: I agree with one of Epinions colleagues: I will be packing these biscuits in Zip-Lok baggies to lessen the likelihood of them going stale or allowing critters to invade the box.

Please show your pets all the love and affection you have each day because you never know when their time on Earth is up.

Please read my other dog biscuit reviews:

Wet Noses Dog Treats

Bacon Beggin' Strips

Meaty Bone Dog Biscuits

Kirkland Flea & Tick Control For Dogs - Medium Dogs

Kirkland Flea & Tick Control For Dogs - Medium Dogs

ebay template Kirkland Flea Tick Control For Dogs - Medium Dogs Item Details Item Condition: New other - Box slightly bent Please view our other items...

Kirkland Flea  Tick Control Extra L.  Dogs 80  Lbs Over  6 Month Free Shipping

Kirkland Flea Tick Control Extra L. Dogs 80 Lbs Over 6 Month Free Shipping

Brand New and Fresh Kirkland Signature Water Resistant Flea Tick Control SIX (6) applicators 0.30 fl oz each TOTAL 1.80 fl oz - SIX MONTHS SUPPLY For ...

Kirkland Signature Nest Dog Bed With Pillow Faux Fur Small - Stock

Kirkland Signature Nest Dog Bed With Pillow Faux Fur Small - Stock

ebay stock EA KIRKLAND SIGNATURE NEST DOG BED WITH PILLOW FAUX FUR SMALL Product Description Kirkland Signature small Nest dog bed with pillow.Polyest...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Small Dog  6-12 Lb 6 Month Free Shippingfresh

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Small Dog 6-12 Lb 6 Month Free Shippingfresh

Brand New and Fresh Kirkland Signature Water Resistant Flea Tick Control SIX (6) applicators 0.05 fl oz each TOTAL 0.3 fl oz - SIX MONTHS SUPPLY For S...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Medium Dogs 13-31 Lb And 6 Months Of Age Or Older

Kirkland Flea and Tick Control MEDIUM DOGS 13-31 Lb and 6 Months of Age or Older FEATURES ALWAYS FRESH FROM STOCK – FACTORY SEALED PACKAGING!!! PLEA...

Kirkland Flea  Tick Control Medium Dogs  13-31  Lbs 6 Month Free Shippingfresh

Kirkland Flea Tick Control Medium Dogs 13-31 Lbs 6 Month Free Shippingfresh

Brand New and Fresh Kirkland Signature Water Resistant Flea Tick Control SIX (6) applicators 0.10 fl oz each TOTAL 0.6 fl oz - SIX MONTHS SUPPLY For M...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Large Dogs 32-79 Lbs And 6 Months Of Age Or Older

Kirkland Flea and Tick Control LARGE DOGS 32-79 Lbs and 6 Months of Age or Older FEATURES ALWAYS FRESH FROM STOCK – FACTORY SEALED PACKAGING!!! PLEA...

Kirkland Flea And Tick Control Small Dogs 6-12 Lbs. And 6 Months Of Age Or Older

Kirkland Flea and Tick Control SMALL DOGS 6-12 Lbs. and 6 Months of Age or Older FEATURES ALWAYS FRESH FROM STOCK – FACTORY SEALED PACKAGING!!! PLEA...

Kirkland Signature Flea & Tick Control For Small Dogs 6 Month Supply

Kirkland Signature Flea & Tick Control For Small Dogs 6 Month Supply

Box is opened.Contain 6 Doses sealed.May have different lot numbers. Kirkland Signature - Water Resistant 6-Month Flea Tick Control for Small Dogs, 6-...