Kirkland Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Food Reviews

Kirkland Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Food

ratings (1 Epinions review)

High Quality Weight-Management Dog Food... and it's inexpensive

Feb 8, 2011 (Updated Feb 11, 2012)

Pros:Healthy, Inexpensive, Glucosamine and Chondroitin, NO potassium chloride!

Cons:Dried beet pulp

The Bottom Line: Good for your pets and your wallet, but I question the use of dried beet pulp in a weight-management recipe

We’ve been feeding our dogs the Kirkland Super Premium dog biscuits for some time now. They’re healthy and quite cost-effective… As is their lineup of canned and dry dog food. A couple of years ago, I read the ingredients on a few of the dog food bags and decided it was “okay” at best. Apparently, the folks who make this stuff decided to listen to some of us and include some of the best ingredients you’d want your furry companion(s) eating. Kirkland sells a wide variety of dry food options for dogs including Adult Lamb-Rice & Veggie, Adult Chicken-Rice & Veggie, Small Dog formula, Puppy formula, Mature Dog formula and Healthy Weight formula. They also sell Maintenance and Healthy Weight formulas for cats. Oddly enough, no kitten formula.

We have three German Shepherds and two of them are a mother and son who are 11 and 7.  They've put on a few pounds over the years so I wanted my "pups" to try something different.  My usually finicky 11 year old, "Mynka" apparently loves this stuff because I no longer have to coax her into finishing her meals.  It should be noted that we mix 1/3 of a can of Kirkland's Super Premium canned food into of their bowls at mealtime.  Mynka's brother "Scooby" was very over-weight and I attribute that to genes because he ate like the other dogs. Before his passing last year, I did notice that he slimmed down a bit after I switched him to this dog food exclusively.  With Mynka, I mix the "Mature Formula" and this Healthy Weight formula for her diet - since she's older and a bit chunky.

Have I noticed any weight loss in my animals? It's too soon to tell.  Like any diet plan, it takes time to see results. But I know the ingredients will provide better nutrition and perhaps a few more trips to our local dog park will do the trick. Keep in mind, this formula is NOT just for over-weight dogs or dogs prone to weight gain.  This is just a great blend of healthy nutrition every pet guardian should be aware of.

It's nice to see that Costco / Kirkland have revamped their ingredient list to include more of the healthy stuff and NONE of the bad stuff for a very reasonable price.  I paid $21.99 for the forty pound bag and if you compare the weight (alone) to typical brands of dog food, it's quite the deal. I used to pay $38 per forty pounds of Nature's Recipe  or $41 for only thirty-three pounds of Natural Balance. The Kirkland brand of dog food is comparable in quality but it almost half the price. It seems too good to be true - but it is.

This paragraph was taken from their website: Kirkland Signature Healthy Weight Dog Formula is complete and balanced for the maintenance of adult dogs. It is designed specifically to help overweight dogs return to healthy body condition, using select ingredients for consistency, wholesomeness and optimal nutrition. Our select ingredients are chosen for their roles in exceptional digestion and superior nutritional health.

It should be noted that Kirkland's pet foods and biscuits are actually made by Diamond Pet Foods - diamondpet.com

I guess the only negative I can think of is that it's only available in a 40-pound bag.  That's a large bag to risk your dog(s) liking it or not. I guess you could always donate the unused portion to an animal shelter or rescue. Small dog guardians have the option of a "small dog formula" in a 20 pound bag.

Ingredients:
Chicken meal, brown rice, peas, cracked pearled barley, millet, powdered cellulose, oatmeal, chicken, rice bran, potatoes, dried beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with natural tocopherols), natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, egg product, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried chicory root, chondroitin sulfate, L-Carnitine, carrots, kelp, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganses proteinate, maganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

It should be mentioned that dried beet pulp is like sugar to dogs and causes hyperactivity and/or leads to Diabetes over time. Since this is supposed to be a "weight-management" recipe, I see no point in having this ingredient in the formula.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids: 0.3% min
Glucosamine Hydrochloride: 750 mg/kg min
Chondroitin Sulfate: 250 mg/kg min

Final Words:
Try a bag of the Kirkland dog or cat foods - I think the ingredients will keep you and your pet happy - and your wallet happier.

Price is no longer an excuse to skip out on good pet nutrition. Everyone can afford better quality food for their K9 companions. Thanks Costco!

* * Thanks to Ladysmom (Billie) for adding this to the EpiDatabase.

Please show your pets all the love and affection you have each day because you never know when their time on Earth is up.

Please Read My Related Reviews:

Bacon Beggin' Strips

Meaty Bone Dog Biscuits

Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mg 400 Softgels

Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mg 400 Softgels

Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mg 400 Softgels EXPIRATION DATE: 06/2016 OR BETTER Contributes to Heart & Vascular Health No Artif...

Fiber Capsules Kirkland Therapy For Regularity/fiber Supplement - Compare To The

The Lotoons Store NEW Fiber Capsules Kirkland Therapy for Regularity/Fiber Supplement - Compare to the Active Ingredient in Metamucil Capsules 1. NO S...

Kirkland Signature Omega 3 - 1000mg -- 400 Softgels - Free Shipping

Kirkland Signature Omega 3 - 1000mg -- 400 Softgels - Free Shipping

Kirkland Signature Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg 400 Softgels Brand New, Factory Sealed Late expiration date Contributes to Heart Vascular Health†No Arti...

Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Fiber Capsules, 720 Capsules, 2 Bottles, 360 Capsules Each

Compare to METAMUCIL® Capsules active ingredient^Kirkland Signature™ Fiber Capsules contain 100% natural psyllium husk fiber, are an easy way to in...

Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate with Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 400 Softgels

Product Details Contains Fish (Anchovy, Herring, Salmon, Sardine and Sprat) and Soy No Artificial Colors No Artificial Flavors No Yeast, Starch or Glu...
Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Coq10 300 Mg., 100 Softgels Supplements Antioxidants Health

Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ CoQ10 300 mg., 100 Softgels Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ CoQ10 300 mg is an antioxidant that is a necessary nutrient for cell function ...

Kirkland Signature Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mgconcentrated400 Softgels

Kirkland Signature Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mgconcentrated400 Softgels

Kirkland Signature Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1000 mg Concentrated 400 Softgels Kirkland Signature Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1000 mg Concentrated...
Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1,000 Mg., 400 Softgels

Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1,000 Mg., 400 Softgels

Contributes to Heart Vascular Health† Kirkland Signature fish supply comes from deep ocean waters. Our fish oil is not supplied from farm-raised fis...

Kirkland Signature Fish Oil - 1000mg -- 400 Softgels - Free Shipping

Kirkland Signature Fish Oil - 1000mg -- 400 Softgels - Free Shipping

Kirkland Signature Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg 400 Softgels Brand New, Factory Sealed Late Expiration Date We do not ship to freight forwarders. Any orde...