KitchenAid KECC568 36 in. Electric Hobs (Gas and Electric)

Cooking Flat

Mar 8, 2007

Pros:Attractive, functional

Cons:Requires frequent cleaning, firmware glitch

The Bottom Line: Despite the minor flaws of the unit, it's a fine appliance for a modern kitchen

My wife and I purchased the Kitchenaid 568 unit as part of a complete kitchen remodel in 2002, so the unit I am reviewing is roughly 5 years old. With the exception of a Bosch dishwasher, the entire kitchen was fit with Kitchenaid appliances.

The Good

The 568's aesthetics are pleasing (we have the black cooktop with a stainless trim strip around the outside). It blends well with the tan/black/gold-mottled granite counter and tile backsplash we installed. I am a fan of the knobless controls, insofar as crumbs and other debris do not have anywhere to collect underneath the touchpads. The controls also "fade away" when the unit is not in use, as opposed to knobs which one has to look at 24/7.

Operation of the unit is simple, though with one trick that those allergic to reading the User Guides might get tripped up on. One just touches the burner's control pad in the center to turn it on or off, then adjusts the heat setting from one (low) to ten (high) to get the intensity one desires. The large burner in the lower left of the top has two-stage capability - you can energize just the internal burner for a small pot or pan, or the double burner for a large one. The small burner to the right of the large, two-stage one is a "quick-on" unit that will go from cold to full heat in a matter of seconds...make sure you're not leaning on that burner when you turn it on!

The trick comes with the "All Off/Lock" button below the other five pads. This button, obviously, causes all the burners to de-energize when pushed. If you push and hold (for 5 seconds), this will cause the unit to lock, disabling the control pads for the five burners until the unit is unlocked. This prevents the cooktop from being inadvertantly turned on, a useful feature when there's no vertical protrusion (aka, knob) sticking up to keep one from putting something on the unit that might turn on a burner. When we first installed the unit, we somehow locked the controls and couldn't find the manual...a call to Kitchenaid's "Cooktops for Idiots" got us back on track - one just needs to push and hold to unlock the unit.

The cooktop's controls also include an LED that signals when a particular burner is hot, a nice feature to keep the unsuspecting from laying something flammable onto a hot element.

The Bad

While the ceramic cooktop is attractive, it is sometimes a chore to clean and, because it is black, it tends to need cleaning frequently. The slightest spill, even of tap water, on a hot element produces an ugly stain that doesn't always clean up with a damp cloth (after the burner has cooled, I might add). The good news is that the material used to make the cooking surface seems almost indestructible. I use a product called Ceramabrite to scrub the surface and it has yet to clean it completely. I even had a cat turn on a burner once - on low, thank heavens - with a plastic bag of candy on the cooktop. It melted the bag and some of the candy onto the surface but, with a lot of elbow grease the unit was clean and, miraculously, unscratched. Moral of the story: Keep the unit locked when not in use.

The other caveat is to be sure the bottoms of your pots and pans are as flat as possible. A couple of old pans I tried on the 568 developed hideous hot spots because they didn't fit snugly to the surface. If your cookware isn't up to snuff, you'll have to get new.

The Ugly

It's a bit of a stretch to call this glitch "ugly," but it's the only way I could shoehorn my review into this much-overused format....so sue me. The unit has behaved the past couple of years, but when we first got it, it would occasionally get "confused" insofar as the controls would fail to respond to any touch input. I attributed this to a firmware code dead-end, and managed to resolve it by going down to the breaker box and cycling power to the cooktop. That has never failed to fix the problem, but the problem shouldn't really exist in the first place. It's not a big problem, though, and easily remedied when it pops up.

Kitchenaid Kecc056rbl 2 Elements Traditional Black Ceramic Glass Surface

Kitchenaid Kecc056rbl 2 Elements Traditional Black Ceramic Glass Surface

KitchenAid KECC056RBL 2 Elements Traditional Black Ceramic Glass Surface Store About Us Shipping Policy Return Policy FAQs Contact Info KitchenAid KEC...

KitchenAid Cooktop. 30 in. Ceramic Glass Electric in Stainless Steel with 5 Elements including 2 Double-Ring Elements KECC605BSS

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This KitchenAid 30 in. ceramic-glass electric cooktop features 5 radiant elements that let you maximize the 30 ...
Home Depot

KitchenAid Smooth Surface Electric Cooktop (Black) (Common: 15-in; Actual 16.5625-in) KECC056RBL

Frameless ceramic glass surfaces and edges leave no crevices or cracks where spills can hide. Black, white, and biscuit-colored control knobs come in...
Lowe's

KitchenAid Cooktop. Architect Series II 15 in. Ceramic Glass Electric in Black with 2 Elements KECC056RBL

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This KitchenAid Architect Series II 15 in. cooktop is ideal when you're short on space in the kitchen. The comp...
Home Depot

KECC605BSS Architect Series II 30 Wide Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 5 Elements  6

KECC605BSS Architect Series II 30 Wide Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 5 Elements 6

This KitchenAid KEC605B Architect Series II 30 electric cooktop features five radiant elements allowing you to maximize the 30 cooking surface and pro...
AppliancesConnection

KitchenAid 5-Element Smooth Surface Electric Cooktop (Stainless Steel) (Common: 30-in; Actual 30.813-in) KECC605BSS

5 radiant elements let you cook more at 1 time; multiple sizes let you closely match element size and power to cookware. Double-ring elements feature...
Lowe's

KECC056RBL Architect Series II 15 Wide Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 2 Radiant

A small space is not a big problem with this KitchenAid Architect Series II KECC056RBL15 2elementelectric cooktop Featuring a ceramic glass cooktop th...
AppliancesConnection

KitchenAid 30 5-Element Electric Cooktop - Stainless Steel

KitchenAid 30 5-Element Electric Cooktop - Stainless Steel

This KitchenAid 30-inch electric cooktop KECC605 features five radiant elements that let you cook more at once: three six-inch elements and two double...

KitchenAid 15 Electric 2-Burner Ceramic-Glass Conventional Radiant Cooktop Black

This is a special order item.Infinite position control knobs with 2 hot surface indicators. Easy-clean ceramic-glass cooktop.