KitchenAid Architect KGSK901SSS Gas Range

Only Lasted 18 Months

Jan 26, 2009
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Looks nice.

Cons:Unreliable. Needed major repair after only 18 months.

The Bottom Line: Purchasing this is a gamble and I would only recommend it if you also purchase an extended warranty- otherwise look at another brand.

We bought the KitchenAid slide in range, KGSK901, from Sears in July of 2007 and it only lasted 18 months, until January 2009 before the oven was inoperable and required a service call and repair that cost us almost three hundred dollars. If we had done are research better, we would have seen many complaints about Kitchenaid ranges and would have seen the poor rating Consumer Reports gives regarding need for repairs. We needed and oven quickly and chose the Kitchenaid primarily for it’s appearance. It does look great in our kitchen but obviously we are disappointed in it’s performance with MINIMAL use over the last eighteen months.

We rarely even use the oven but we did roast a turkey Christmas eve and then a prime rib on Christmas and then the next time we turned on the oven to bake after the holidays, it began making a loud noise. We could see some flames through the vent on top of the range at one point.

The warranty we got was for only one year. In most cases, I do not recommend getting extended warranties since I am in my fifties and in my lifetime, most appliances have been well made an reliable, but in the case of this Kitchenaid appliance, I think it would definitely be a foolish gamble NOT to get an extended warranty. I would really recommend looking at ranges from other manufacturers though with better Consumer Reports reliability records. In all my years of living, including those years in my parents homes, various rentals, and in my own home, I have never seen any range that required servicing in so short a time span!

When we called Sears, they didn’t offer any remedy to us other than sending a repair man out for a $70 charge to evaluate the problem and the earliest appointment was almost two weeks out. When the service man came, he said that the problem was the “blower fan” and that it had to be replaced. He said that the shaft had worn out. The total cost was going to come to $263.00 for an oven only purchase eighteen months previously. We are waiting for the part to arrive and our next service appointment and so we will have been without an oven for about a month in all. In reading reviews by others, I am seeing that some have had their Kitchenaid ranges repaired repeatedly and I am only hoping that will not be the case with us.

Amount Paid (US$): $1400.00

Architect Series II KGSK901SSS Gas Range with 4 Sealed Burners  4.1 cu. ft.  Self-Clean

Architect Series II KGSK901SSS Gas Range with 4 Sealed Burners 4.1 cu. ft. Self-Clean

The KitchenAid KGSK901SSS 30 in Self-Clean Slide-In gas range with a 41 cu ft capacity oven and front electronic controls with scrolling graphic displ...
AppliancesConnection

KitchenAid Range. Architect Series II 4.1 cu. ft. Slide-In Gas Range with Self-Cleaning Oven in Stainless Steel KGSK901SSS

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. This KitchenAid Architect Series II 30 in. slide-in range enhances your time in the kitchen with the combinatio...
Home Depot