KitchenAid KSB580NK 5-Speed Blender Reviews

KitchenAid KSB580NK 5-Speed Blender

Incredible Blender!

Dec 5, 2009

Pros:Fast, powerful, large pitcher.  Blends evenly and quickly.  Easy to clean.

Cons:Sometimes leaks a trivial amount from the bottom where the blade assembly is mounted.

The Bottom Line: Terrific blender.  Well worth the price.  Looks great and works great, you won't be disappointed!

I purchased this blender based primarily on the positive reviews at [high-end kitchen retailer's] website.  I then went to the store to buy it, and the saleswoman was raving about this model, agreeing that it's the best blender [high-end kitchen retail store] sells (and it's not the most expensive, either).

It is indeed an awesome blender. Easy to use, powerful, and easy cleanup. Since the pitcher is one solid piece, there's no screwing/unscrewing of the blade assembly, and no rubber o-ring to mess with. The pitcher sits solidly and easily on the base (just set it down, no need to twist to lock into place).

Some reviews complained that the pitcher is acrylic and not glass, but I don't mind.  It's thick and solid, and if it were glass it would be too heavy to pick up!

The single-piece design of the pitcher is a blessing and a curse, though!  It's very simple to wash, but you have to be careful when hand-washing, since you can't remove the blade from the bottom of the pitcher.  (Getting the area at the very bottom is tricky, sine you don't want to cut yourself).  They recommend running the blender with a bit of water and dish soap, but that's an extra hassle that doesn't seem worth it.  I believe the pitcher is dishwasher safe, too.

I've found it sometimes leaks a trivial amount from the bottom where the blade assembly is mounted.  This is easily fixed by tightening the nut on the underside (Even finger-tight makes a good difference).  It's threaded the opposite however (lefty-tighty!), which I presume is to keep it from loosening while in operation.

I just made a smoothie with frozen mango chunks and a frozen berry medley. It powered through the frozen fruit with ease. Ended up with a consistency somewhere between sorbet and mousse - absolutely incredible.

The unique pitcher shape, patented blade and powerful 0.9 horsepower motor provide fast, consistent blending that can crush a pitcher of ice within se...