KitchenAid KSC700 7-Quart Slow Cooker Reviews

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

BEWARE Probability of crock insert cracking is HIGH

Dec 7, 2009
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Features
Size

Cons:Cheaply made crock insert
Crock lid that does not seat properly

The Bottom Line:

BEWARE – Probability of crock insert cracking is HIGH.  You would be better served with a different brand and quite possibly a less expensive brand.

I feel compelled to get the word out as much as possible about the risks of this slow cooker.

I like the various cooking options, the size, and the shape of this slow cooker.  And, the cooker body and programs function fine.

Even after reading reports about the problems of the crock cracking, I decided to take a chance anyway.  I bought this slow cooker about a year and a half ago, and have only used it 5 or 6 times.  I have only cooked meat, such as brisket in it, and the pieces of meat have been fully defrosted.  I have handled the crock insert with care and have only hand-washed it.  I have never dropped or knocked it.  So, when I placed a cut of brisket in it this past Thanksgiving and heard the “pop” about an hour into cooking, I was shocked!  At the time, I could not tell what had caused the “pop.”  I actually let the brisket continue cooking and it turned out well.  But, when I went to wash it afterwards, I noticed a hairline crack circling the bottom of the crock insert with one tiny spot where liquid had seeped through.  The little bit of liquid (juices from the meat) that seeped through cooked on and stained the inside of the crock cooker body.  Besides the crack, the crock insert is still in tact, but with the presence of the crack I believe it’s very probable that the bottom is going to fall out.  I will not use it again.

As for the construction of the crock, when I initially received it after ordering, I was surprised at how cheaply made it appeared.  This, after all, is not a cheap slow cooker!  I don’t know how to describe it other than lumpy and poorly glazed.  I figure the awkward rubber gasket on the glass lid is necessary in an attempt to create a seal, because the crock insert is so cheap with a less than perfect form, a simple glass rim on the lid would not seat right on the insert.

So now, here’s my complaint about KitchenAid customer service…I called the day after Thanksgiving to explain and request and new insert.  The best they can do is offer a replacement for $32.95 + $6.95 s&h.  The customer service agent said the inserts were on backorder, so she’d have to send out a new slow cooker and I would need to return the body of mine.  (What a pain in the neck!)  When I asked why I couldn’t just get a new insert in the mail after paying for it, she reminded me that they were on backorder.  I asked if it was because there were so many replacements being requested she said “Well…yeah.”  She wouldn’t discuss it any further and said basically my only option was to order a new one for $40.

I paid around $150 originally for this slow cooker.  Now to buy a replacement crock would push the cost of this appliance to nearly $200.  That’s ridiculous!!!  It’s not worth that much money.  And, what are the chances of the second crock insert cracking…pretty high, I’m afraid.

Take a chance if you want, but don’t say you weren’t warned.  Do plenty of research because reports of this crummy crock insert is all over the internet!

Crock-Pot Oval Manual Slow Cooker Simply perfect. Simply delicious.Crock-Pot Slow Cookers make mealtime and entertaining more flavorful. Turn the dial...

Crock-Pot Oval Slow Cooker Simply perfect. Simply delicious.Crock-Pot Slow Cookers make mealtime and entertaining more flavorful. Turn the dial to “...