UNIT WENT ON FIRE!!!
May 8, 2007 (Updated Jul 15, 2008)
Review by mgollin
Rated a Very Helpful Review
I loved this unit with the exception of the knobs occasionally overheating and I had to use a glove to turn them. It gets super hot and cooked food well.
Recommend this product?
That being said- A few days ago the igniter starting clicking as usual while igniting it for breakfast- then continued to malfunction and click after it was ignited and within the unit the wires ignited and a fire ensued. Smoke started rising from the holes where the knobs were and I could see the flames under the glass. This was a sealed unit so there was nothing inside that was flammable except for gas. Since this was a gas unit and my gas line shut off valve was stuck (couldn't shut it) it was continuing to smoke- I had to contact the fire department to make sure the flames within the unit were out.
KITCHEN AID Immediately DISPATCHED A SERVICE TECHNICIAN WITHIN 24 HOURS. THEY DEEMED IT NOT REPLACEABLE AND KITCHEN AID HAS OFFERED TO REPLACE THE UNIT AND INSTALLATION AT LITTLE TO NO COST TO ME.
I am waiting presently for a new unit
I love my Kitchen Aid products despite this incident and hopefully this won't happen again.
Read all comments (2)
Amount Paid (US$): 700
Share this product review with your friends