Kiwi 3 1/8oz Saddle Soap

Kiwi Saddle Soap ~ Great for all Leather

Jul 13, 2009

Pros:Cleans, softens, and preserves leather.

Cons:Not for suede

The Bottom Line: Preserves, softens, and cleans leather.  Keeps your leather goods looking their best.

While I don't have lots of leather items, I do have a few nice leather purses that I wanted to keep looking their best, so I decided to try this saddle soap from Kiwi.

~ Product Description

Kiwi Saddle Soap claims to clean, soften and preserve leather.  Taken from the packaging, this "contains a fine soap to thoroughly clean away dirt and grime, even salt stains.  Kiwi Saddle Soap is formulated with glycerine and lanolin to make leather soft and supple, with a quality wax for added protection."

This saddle soap is safe for all colors of leather, but is not for use on suede.

Kiwi Saddle Soap comes in a round, 3 1/8 oz. tin, and I paid about $4.50 for the tin.

The directions for use say to first remove any excess dirt from the leather with a brush or damp cloth, then rub the surface of the saddle soap with a moist cloth to develop a lather.  Rub it well into the leather, and wipe off excess lather with a damp cloth.  Repeat if necessary.  When the leather is dry, buff with a soft cloth to develop luster.

~ My Experience

As I mentioned, I wanted to use this on my leather purses, one of which was a black leather, one a light tan, and the other white.

I had some trouble figuring out how to open the can, as there were no directions.  It looked like the lid just pulled off, but I couldn't budge it.  Then I noticed a little silver thingy by the rim of the lid.  I finally figured out that you had to twist the silver thingy, and it would pry off the lid.  It worked great, once I discovered how that worked.  The lid is pressed back down when you're done.

Kiwi Saddle Soap is a super thick cream.  You have to swipe the cloth over the soap to use.  The soap is a light cream color with a distinctive, somewhat strong scent that is pleasant though hard to describe.  I like the scent.

I lightly dampened a cloth and rubbed it on the soap, then applied to my black purse.  There really wasn't what I would consider a lather, but it fluffed up a little and was easy to apply.  This purse wasn't horribly dirty or anything, I just wanted to preserve and soften the leather to keep it looking nice.  After applying the soap, I let it dry, which didn't take hardly anytime at all, and buffed with a dry cloth.  My purse looked better than new!

I did the same thing with my light tan purse, which had a few scuffs, and Kiwi Saddle Soap did a great job, smoothing and softening the leather, giving is a soft sheen.

My white leather purse had some color transfer on one side, I guess from my clothing or something, I'm not sure, but there was like a dark blue scuffing transferred to the side that lies next to my body.  Also, the bottom of the purse was dirty.  It's white, after all, and everything shows.  I rubbed the soap into the leather, concentrating on the dirty bottom and blue scuffs.  The dirt on the bottom came off, but I couldn't really get all of the dark color scuffs out, although it was a vast improvement.  I let it dry, then reapplied to those areas, and it lightened up a bit more.  It's really not noticeable now, except to me.  All in all the white leather looks great, soft to the touch and a very soft sheen, and preserved.  I'm thinking if I had used Kiwi Saddle Soap when it was new that color transfer might not have happened.

I have also used this on leather boots with great success, and it does get the salt stains out.

~ Final Thoughts

Kiwi Saddle Soap will clean, soften, and protect your leather items.  Use it when they are new to keep them in the best shape possible.  Perfect for purses, boots, coats, belts, and oh yeah, saddles!

Kiwi Saddle Soap Leather Preserver Care

Kiwi Saddle Soap Leather Preserver Care

Kiwi Saddle Soap and Leather Care KIWI saddle soap is a traditional blend of ingredients which cleans, softens, and preserves smooth leather. It conta...

CLEAR SOAP KIWI Pure Cleanser Hypoallergenic for all Skin Types

CLEAR SOAP KIWI Pure Cleanser Hypoallergenic for all Skin Types

CLEAR SOAP KIWIPure foaming cleanser with kiwi.Soft cleansing formula with maximum comfort, hypoallergenic, suitable for all skin types, especially no...
Kiwi-blow Up Volume 8oz

Kiwi Shoe Freshener 2.2 oz Controls Odor all day Fast acting- Works on contact

Fa Luxury Bath and Beauty

Shampoo & Body Wash, Kiwi-Mango, 8-Oz, Medline - MEDMSC095060

Shampoo & Body Wash, Kiwi-Mango, 8-Oz, Medline - MEDMSC095060

Medline Shampoo & Body Wash, Kiwi-Mango, 8-Oz, MedlineMedline Shampoo & Body Wash With Fragrance: This convenient formula doubles as a shampoo and bod...
BettyMills.com

Hair Food Kiwi Shampoo - 17.9 oz

Hair Food Kiwi Shampoo - 17.9 oz

Find shampoos, conditioners, and hair treatments at Target.com! Hair food volume is inspired by fresh, energy packed ingredients known for their vital...

3-.13 Oz Outdoor Saddle Soap 109-011