Shoe Polish with a Shine

Feb 21, 2008

Pros:Easy to apply, dries to a great shine

Cons:Can be messy if you squeeze out too much

The Bottom Line: Kiwi Scuff Magic is a great shoe polish. It's easy to apply, coats shoes to a nice shine, and doesn't require buffing.

I don't use shoe polish very often, but when I need it, it's nice to have an easy to use product on hand that will give my shoes a quick face lift. My husband purchased this for some black shoes he was wearing to a formal dinner, and I use it on occasion to spruce up a leather pair of shoe boots.

Description

Kiwi is a brand that has been around for years. We used to purchase it in the small round tins, which was more of a paste. The polish comes in a liquid form, in a black colored plastic bottle that holds 2.5 ounces of black polish.

The cap is clear, and taking it off reveals a soft foam applicator. This measures 3/8" high and 1" in diameter, with a small hole in the center for the polish to exit.

Claims

* Provides extra scuff coverage
* Extra staining power
* Instant, no buff shine
* Water resistant

Thoughts

I used this just today to polish my leather shoe boots, and it had been a while since I had used it. You are directed to shake the bottle well with the cap on. I did so, and I could hear the liquid sloshing around, but after about 5-6 seconds I couldn't hear any liquid sounds - I think maybe it foamed up inside the container.

It must be applied to clean, dry shoes, so I washed the dirt off of the toes of my shoes and dried them with paper towels. Next you invert bottle and gently press applicator against shoe to release polish. This is where I made my first mistake. I thought I knew what I was doing and I squeezed the bottle without touching the shoe, and I got way too much polish onto the sponge applicator. Thank goodness I was next to the kitchen sink, as it some excess did drip into the sink. I had so much on the first shoe that I had to wipe some off with another paper towel.

I had better luck, (following the directions), with the second shoe. Imagine that! Reading those instructions pays off sometimes!

The applicator moved smoothly and easily across the leather shoe, and it was super easy to get to every spot. My laces go through small metal eyelets, and I was able to maneuver the applicator so that it got between them, and what I got onto the metal eyelets easily wiped off.

Once finished, the directions say to rinse the sponge applicator with water and blot it dry. This keeps the foam soft.

I applied the Scuff Magic Polish to my shoes about 25 minutes ago, and I just checked on them. Both are completely dry, and they are extremely shiny! I've not seen a shine like this from shoe polish since the days the shoes had to be buffed with a towel and shined with a shoe brush! I can also feel the protective coating that dried onto them.

As far as messes go, the spills that dropped into my sink were easily washed away. The back label does say that you need to clean up any spills before they dry. I also got a few spots on my fingers while during the application process, and those also washed off easily with soap and water.

The only kind of shoes this polish cannot be used on is suede.

I know from experience that one coat of this polish lasts a very long time. My husband only polishes his shoes once a year. It does help repel water, which keeps the leather in good condition. My shoes look almost new, and they are eight years old! I highly recommend Kiwi Scuff Magic Polish.

One bottle retails for just under $5.00 and is found in most stores that sell shoes, or in your grocery store.