Knorr Bearnaise Sauce, .9-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) (Knorr) Reviews

Knorr Bearnaise Sauce, .9-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) (Knorr)

Knorr It The Easy Way

Sep 1, 2011 (Updated Sep 1, 2011)

Pros:Great tasting bearnaise sauce for steak, eggs, and veggies.  Taste great and easy to make.

Cons:Sauce can burn easily if not careful.

The Bottom Line:

This is a great tasting and easy mix for Bearnaise Sauce.  Tastes just like the restaurants!

I love using bearnaise sauce on steaks and especially when I prepare eggs benedict.  I know eggs benedict call for hollandaise sauce, but I prefer it much more.  Bearnaise sauce can be made from scratch and I am entirely too lazy to do something such as this.  Rather than making it on my own, I buy Knorr Bearnaise Sauce.  A package makes approximately 1.5 cups and is a great item to add to a meal.  Bearnaise sauce works well with eggs, meat, fish or vegetables.  It tastes especially nice with a filet mignon.  I have never tried the sauce with chicken, although I do see this as having some potential.

These packages can be found in the grocery story and will cost about $1.75.

I have been using Knorr Bearnaise Sauce for many years now and keep a package in our pantry at all times.  It is simple to prepare and tastes as good as any other restaurant variety.  I have purchased pre-made bearnaise sauce and the flavor does not even compare.  Once prepared, you are left with a smooth and creamy butter sauce with a hint of tarragon on it.  The butter flavor holds its own against other flavors while allowing the other flavors of the meal to have their place.  I made the mistake of forgetting to season a steak prior to searing and did not realize until it was resting.  Even though the steak did not have any extra seasoning, this bearnaise sauce made a potentially boring steak delicious.  I especially like to use this sauce when I have used a peppercorn and garlic rub on a filet mignon.  The tender meat is complimented with the seasoned coating and the creaminess of the sauce.  If you are not used to a light colored sauce on your steak, it can appear unusual at first.  The sauce is a very pale yellow and stands out while it is sitting on vegetables and steak.  After a few tastes, you quickly adjust and now find the combination appetizing.

The recipe calls for butter to be used but I have substituted margarine and vegetable spreads.  I did not see too big of a difference although butter does allow for a creamier texture.  If you are looking to make this a healthier option, trading out butter or margarine or a spread will not leave you disappointed.

The recipe calls for milk to be added as well.  I have had this made with half/half and did not notice a difference as compared to whole milk.  I have never used low or nonfat milk, as we do not drink it in our household.  I could potentially see this having a thinning effect on the completed sauce.

Although this is not the healthiest sauce you can add to meal, it is better than most.  The level of sodium is much lower as compared to other sauces.  You can even reduce this by using an unsalted butter.  I have never tried this and not sure how it would affect the flavor.  Even though we prepare it with whole milk, the recipe calls for 2%.

Besides the wonderful flavor, the ease of making the sauce is fantastic.  This sauce can be made on the stove or in the microwave.  I have never made it in the microwave, as I cannot seem to bring myself to doing so.  The stovetop method is easy and does not entail multiple pans so I have stuck with this method.

Stovetop directions:
Using a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 cup butter; whisk in package contents until blended. Remove from heat.

Whisk in one cup of milk (I have done this slowly or added all at one time and have not seen a difference)
Whisking constantly, bring to boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer one minute whisking frequently. Makes 1 1/2 cups sauce

Microwave directions:
In a four-cup microwaveable bowl, microwave 1/2 cup butter on high 1 minute or until melted. Whisk in package contents until blended. Whisk in one-cup milk.
Microwave on high three to four minutes, whisking every minute until boiling, smooth and thickened.

As the sauce sits, it will thicken.  I recommend serving the sauce immediately to ensure it is hot.  If you have prepared the sauce and still waiting on the remainder of the meal.  Remove the pan from heat and only place back on the stove just prior to serving.  Reheat the sauce slowly as it can easily burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.

Ingredients:
Corn starch, maltodextrin, salt, canola oil, monosodium glutamate, citric acid, onion powder, yeast extract, herb and spices, guar gum, dried parsley, colour, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate and sulphites. May contain traces of milk ingredients.

One serving is approximately 2 tablespoons.  Realistically this is good for one item but will need to add the same amount on other portions you desire the sauce on.  We are usually able to get four to five people covered with one package.
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet:
(second number includes salted butter and 2% milk)

Calories:  10,90
Vitamin A:  0, 20%
Vitamin C: 0, 0
Calcium: 0, 2%
Iron: 0, 0

Product Details: Knorr Bearnaise Sauce, .9Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) Béarnaise sauce embodies the creamy flavors of butter, tarragon and parsley to c...