Kodak Pocket Zi8 128 MB Camcorder - Black Reviews

Great Little Camcorder for the money

Dec 29, 2009

• Battery Life:
  • Movie Quality:

Pros:Very pocketable, great resolution, very easy to use

Cons:HD format a bit tough on older computers

The Bottom Line: If you catch yourself using your still camera to take short videos, this is a great addition to get better quality.

I’ve been reading previews and reviews of the new “pocket” cameras from Flip and Kodak, etc. for the past few months. Luckily, there’s something called the Mother/Father-in-law gift fund, so I took the plunge with the Kodak Zi8.
At the current pace of HD cameras, I just couldn’t justify the $1,000 price for a great personal video camera when it will be obsolete in a year and when the Kodak is just . . . wait for it – $150 at Amazon! Full 1080p resolution and image stability – nice additions in my opinion.
I’ll keep this brief (and might post some sample footage later). This is a teat little camera. It performs better than any other camera I’ve had (Sony Hi8 and Sony HDD camera). I use 720p mode and it does great. I especially love the 60 frames per second mode for super clean slow motion. I can’t wait for soccer season with this little guy.
Low light performance is especially good (compared to others I’ve had). I haven’t tried 1080p resolution since I don’t have a TV supporting it, bit it plays back fine from the player.
If there is a draw back, it’s that my current computer (Core 2 Duo with decent graphics mind you) won’t play the files smoothly. They're quite a chore to decode. I’m betting on future machines to handle this easily (I hope!).
All in all, the portability of this camera along with it’s above par perfoance for the price is a great deal!

Recommended for: Budget Buyers - Best Values to Fit the Budget