Kodak Pocket Zi8 128 MB Camcorder - Black Reviews

Kodak Pocket Zi8 128 MB Camcorder - Black

For the price, can't beat it

Sep 8, 2010

• Battery Life:
  • Movie Quality:

Pros:Great picture; with an SD card you can record many hours worth of video.

Cons:The zoom/stop/record joystick is very touchy and tiny.

The Bottom Line: If you want high definition without the high price, along with ease of use, this is an great choice. SD card option adds hours of recording

I wasn't sure what to expect with this camera. For starters, it's really small, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It records awesome video in high definition. No compaints there, for sure. The audio (built in mic) works pretty well, if you are close to the camera and indoors. Fortunately there is an audio input jack, so you can hook up an external mic (I got a lapel mic which works well with this)

One downside is that there is no way to see yourself as you are recording, so if you are a "one man band" that is a drawback. My ancient camera had a screen that could be flipped so I could see myself and make sure I was centered and on camera. This one doesn't have that, and you have to try to define your operations area if you don't have someone running the camera for you.

Another thing is that the zoom button also is the start/stop record button and it is a tiny joystick type control. Tough for people with fumble fingers (like me)

There is also an issue with blurring if you don't have the camera stable. Bottom line, use a tripod or set it on a table or something. When the camera is stable it captures movement and action extremely well, and even when I used the slo-mo effect in my video editing program the picture was still very clear.

I really like the camera and would recommend it. Like I said, at the price (under 130 currently) you won't find a better HD camera with an external mic jack.

Recommended for: Trendsetters - Hip and Stylish Gadgets