Konica Minolta Magicolor 1690Mf All-In-One Laser Printer Reviews

Konica Minolta Magicolor 1690Mf All-In-One Laser Printer

Free Shipping Quickship.com
+$7.50 shipping Walmart.com

Great Value, But....

May 7, 2009 (Updated Oct 16, 2009)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Paper Handling:

Pros:The best print quality I've seen in a laser printer!  Small size.

Cons:Poor scan resolution, clumsy build.

The Bottom Line: For $261, you're not going to go wrong with this printer.  I certainly wouldn't pay $500 for it though.

Great print quality!
I purchased this printer to replace a similar but much more expensive Ricoh printer I had. I received the shipment and was immediately pleased that it did not wear me out to pick it up and carry it upstairs like the other one I had. I hooked it up and immediately got it to work. I downloaded the drivers from the web site because the discs were not included in the initial shipments of this printer. Everything worked fine and I couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of prints. Apparently, Konica uses a unique polymer in their toner cartridges that gives it a better quality than other laser printers. The quality definitely stands out!

There's work to do for scanning
When it comes to scanning, however, this printer fails miserably. The resolution is a disappointing maximum 300x300dpi. I will likely need to tweak some settings to get decent scans, something I haven't had to do with other scanners. On some web sites, it appears that the scan resolution is higher and maybe that's true, but not for scanning color PDFs or JPGs that I do.

I did have a problem setting up the "push" scan settings. I spent about 2-3 hours on the phone with technical support to figure this out. In the end, it was a matter of folder sharing on Vista that was not set properly (or should I say completely). It was just another example of how I spend hours correcting problems because Vista is such a pitiful operating system. Enough of my rant about Vista. Once as I got the settings 100% correct, the push scan feature worked fine.

The gripe I have is that the printer demands too many button pushes to do a simple scan. You have to babysit the scan, otherwise, you'll have to rescan the document. It's not the kind of printer that meets my production needs, therefore, I still have my $700 Ricoh printer that is now nothing more than an oversized scanner.

Product Structure
As for the build of the product, it seems to be okay but the plastic tends to feel very fragile.  It's not the rock solid build that I usually desire, however, it also did not have the enormous price that would be associated with high quality plastics.

The size of the printer is remarkable compared to the machine that I had prior to this one.  It's hardly larger than most all-in-one inkjet printers.  It's not enormously heavy and it is not an atrocious looking device in my office.

Summary
In summary, this printer is a fabulous deal for the $261 that I paid for it. I will, however, still need a supplemental scanner to mitigate its deficiencies. I'm not sure what I'll do when the toner runs out because for the price of new toner cartridges, I can buy a new printer. Go figure.

Update (10/16/2009)
Just replaced the black toner.  The page count is as follows:

Total print:  1182
Mono copy:  80
Color copy:  7
Mono print:  630
Color print:  426
Fax print:  39

Operating System: Windows

Konica MagiColor 1690MF Laser Printer OEM Drum - 45.000 Pages Mono. 11.250 Pages Color
Quickship.com