Korean Lilac Two Gallon

Korean Lilac Bush, Miss Kim - A Beautiful Strong Fragrant Purple Lilac Shrub

Aug 12, 2009

Pros:Beautiful purple flowers; very strong sweet fragrance; makes gorgeous cuttings; later spring bloomer

Cons:Wished the lilacs would last longer

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend the Korean Lilac bush in your landscaping for a beautiful spring focal point and an awesome fragrance.  In the fall deep burgundy red fall colors will develop.

There is nothing more strongly fragrant that I have found as you walk by it, than a Miss Kim Korean Lilac Bush.  Last year we moved into a new home in the Pacific Northwest closer to where the annual West Coast Lilac Festival takes place on the 3rd Saturday of May.  Most homeowners play a role in making this a successful event by planting at least one or two lilacs in their landscaping as people come from miles around for this festival.   Ever since we moved to Pacific Northwest in 1992, we have had lilacs in our landscaping and we have had the Korean Lilac Bush, Miss Kim for 17 years now at all three of our houses.

Lilacs are hardy, showy, flowering shrubs that add grace, beauty, and fragrance to any landscaping and are offered in many different varieties.

What It Is

The Korean Lilac shrub is a deciduous, low maintenance, dense, rounded flowering shrub whose beautiful sweetly strong fragrant purple violet flowers only lasts for a few weeks generally during the month of May - early June in the Pacific Northwest.   Single flowers are arranged in dense, terminal clusters to 4" long, which cover this shrub in a profuse bloom in May in the Pacific Northwest.  Its leaves are a glossy dark green which grow to about 4" in length.

The Korean Lilac shrub is also offered in a dwarf size version, which reaches a height of 4-5 feet for those looking for a smaller shrub.

It is considered a slow grower growing an average of 1'-2' a year and grows to a height of 8 feet with a spread of 10-12'.  Lilacs like full sun and well drained soil.  The Korean Lilac prefers rich, moist; slightly acid to slightly alkaline soils and needs good air circulation.

This shrub is for zones 3-7.  In the fall, the leaves turn to a burgundy color.   It is also considered a mildew resistance shrub.  Miss Kim is a later bloomer, as it will start to bloom when the other lilacs have stopped.

Our Experience

We have had 17 years experience with the beautiful Miss Kim.  Miss Kim has never let us down surviving every winter that Mother Nature dishes out including ice storms, heavy snow, and degrees in the negative range.  We know that spring has finally arrived when we see our lilacs start to bloom.

The bloom time is short but Miss Kim lilac shrub starts blooming when the other lilacs are slowing down so we have always gotten a lilac that starts blooming early and a Miss Kim that starts later to have a longer blooming season.  We generally buy Miss Kim in a 2 gallon container and I have never seen a lilac in a smaller container.  During the bloom time, you can walk past this lilac bush and the fragrance jumps out at you.  This is highly unusual for a plant to smell so sweet and fragrant and you don't have to put your nose into the flower to smell it.   The smell is much more powerful than roses.

Maintenance is low and pruning is only required with shears when needed.

Miss Kim is a showy lilac bush and I will take some cuttings of the blooms and make an indoor flower arrangement and the fragrance is just awesome throughout the home.

Butterflies love the lilac bushes as well as the bees but the show is even more beautiful when you see the Monarch butterflies all over the lilacs.  This is a great shrub to add to your butterfly garden.

After blooming time is over, Miss Kim will stay green until fall and then the leaves will turn into a beautiful deep burgundy red.  Not all lilacs turn into a fall color in the fall so Miss Kim is a very special shrub with the beautiful flowers that smell so wonderful and then the fall showing of the leaves.

I highly recommend the Miss Kim Korean Lilac Bush for those who love flowers with strong fragrance.

1.5-Gallon Lavender Dwarf Korean Lilac (L1436) NURSERY

1.5-Gallon Lavender Dwarf Korean Lilac (L1436) NURSERY

Lavender, fragrant flowers. Compact growth habit. Great for mass plantings.

1.6-Gallon Lavender Dwarf Korean Lilac (L1436) NURSERY

1.6-Gallon Lavender Dwarf Korean Lilac (L1436) NURSERY

Lavender, fragrant flowers. Compact growth habit. Great for mass plantings.

Monrovia 3.58-Gallon White Angel White Lilac 071805

Monrovia 3.58-Gallon White Angel White Lilac 071805

One of the best lilacs for warm winter areas. Spectacular clusters of fragrant pure white flowers produced without winter chilling. Deciduous.

2.56-Gallon Texas Lilac (L6328) NURSERY

2.56-Gallon Texas Lilac (L6328) NURSERY

Shrub or small tree. Lilac to purple spiked blooms. Grayish-green foliage.

1.5-Gallon Blue Miss Kim Lilac (L1204) NURSERY

1.5-Gallon Blue Miss Kim Lilac (L1204) NURSERY

Low-maintenance, deciduous lilac. Fragrant, ice-pink flowers. Burgundy-red fall foliage.

3.43-Gallon Vine Lilac (L10538) NURSERY

3.43-Gallon Vine Lilac (L10538) NURSERY

Beautiful flowers. Long pointed, deep green leaves. Use a trellis or arbor for support.

Monrovia 1-Gallon Lavender Sensation Lilac 072161S

Monrovia 1-Gallon Lavender Sensation Lilac 072161S

An outstanding lilac noted for its large trusses of purplish-red florets edged in white. Captivating fragrance is a bonus. Branches are erect and op...

Monrovia 1-Gallon Blue President Lincoln Lilac 072141S

Monrovia 1-Gallon Blue President Lincoln Lilac 072141S

A truly outstanding lilac noted for its large trusses of single Wedgewood blue flowers. Captivating fragrance is a bonus. Branches are erect and ope...

3.74-Gallon Purple Old Fashioned Purple Lilac (L7783) NURSERY

3.74-Gallon Purple Old Fashioned Purple Lilac (L7783) NURSERY

Popular, deciduous, blooming shrub. Fragrant purple flowers in spring. Low maintenance, carefree plant.

3.63-Gallon Purple Old Fashioned Purple Lilac (L7783) NURSERY