Kosciusko Spicy Brown Mustard 9oz

Kosciusko Spicy Brown Mustard, For Those Special Occasions

Dec 2, 2007 (Updated Dec 8, 2007)

Pros:Great flavor and taste. I like its consistency

Cons:None, This is the king of mustards.

The Bottom Line: There are many kinds of mustard available in squirt top bottles and very yellow colours but, here is only one Kosciusko mustard. It's the best!

I was introduced to Kosciusko mustard by my father-in-law who always used it on his Kielbasa. Mmm, just observing and I see Kosciusko and Keilbasa. His name was Kurkowski. Do these Polish people use any other letter to start their words?

Anyways, I was very fortunate to have met my wife when I was very young and her father and grand-father were still alive. I was able to join all the men on Good Friday night as they all went down into the basement of the huge old colonial the grandparents called home. That home was built by the grandfather with help from the sons. They were carpenters by trade.

They also made their own meats for Easter and had a process where they made their own home made fresh Kielbasa. I don't remember much about the meats they used or seasonings added but I do recall the older men cutting the meat, hand grinding it and then packing of the same into hog casings using two different type counter top mechanisms. I also recall we drank a good amount of brew those nights. They were good times.

Soooo, about the Kosciusko mustard.

On Easter Sunday mornings the kielbasa would be the center of a huge breakfast with eggs, all kinds of breads and more. On the table was a regular yellow mustard and there was Kosciusko Spicy Brown Mustard. That's when I got my first taste and I have never found a better mustard.

I read on their web site that this mustard was the 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002 Napa Valley Mustard Festival Medal Winner. I know I'm impressed!
The Ingredients listed mention White Distilled Vinegar, #1 Grade Mustard Seed, Water, Salt and Spices. I do wonder what some of those spices are. They do make this a special blend.

I like the rich full taste of this mustard. My nose knows it's coming from a distance. This is one spicy mustard that is also rich in body and gives a full taste in the mouth. It's not just hot. This is a complex condiment that should be in every closet and refrigerator once opened.

I like the barrel shaped container it comes in that allows for scoops of mustard to be taken out easily.

The product is now made by the Plochman Company of Manteno Illinois that has a 150 year mustard history. They purchased the world famous Polish style Kosciusko mustard in 1985 and continue to make the product.

Quick info: There is a Kosciuszko Bridge that connects Brooklyn and Queens over a waterway. That bridge is named for Thaddeus Kosciuszko a Polish Patriot who made his way to America and helped the Continental Army defeat the British. He was instrumental in many a campaign. There are two eagles plaques mounted on the bridge, one a Polish Eagle and the other an American Eagle. No, there doesn't seem to be a connection to the mustard brand but this US citizen is grateful for both.

The colour of the mustard is an ever-so-slight yellow/orange mix with a very healthy brown grainy hue. It's a perfect consistency where it holds onto a knife or can easily be spooned. I happen to like dipping hard pretzels into a small bowl of Kosciusko mustard while enjoying a Shipyard Export Ale.

My favorite though is mixing it up with a bit of very fresh horse radish and enjoying it with hard boiled eggs and Kielbasa on an Easter Sunday morning. My wife has carried on this tradition of her Polish ancestors in our home and it's something I look forward to every year.

Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard My Daily Best
Grey Poupon Hot & Spicy, 8 Oz One star from me. It doesn't stand up to Kosciusko.

Kosciusko Spicy Brown Beer Mustard 9 Oz

Kosciusko Spicy Brown Beer Mustard 9 Oz

Kosciusko Spicy Brown Beer Mustard Auction is for one 9 oz package 100%natural ********************************************Combined Shipping Available...

KosciuskoŽ Spicy Brown Beer Mustard (2 Pack) 9 Oz Kegs