Krups CompacTherm Deluxe 209 10 Cups Coffee and Espresso Maker

Krups CompacTherm Deluxe Coffee Machine

Jul 16, 2000 (Updated Aug 15, 2003)

Pros:Coffee stays warm longer

Cons:Doesn't stay hot as long as they claim

The Bottom Line: I would buy it again.

We purchased this coffee maker approximately two years ago. The features we were specifically looking for were the Thermal Carafe and the programmable timer. The coffee maker has lived up to Krups good reputation and our expectations.

We use the automatic timer function almost every day. In two years, there has never been a problem. Waking up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee is just wonderful. The coffee does stay warm for quite a while. However, I would not agree with the manufacturers claim that it stays hot for up to five hours. In our experience, it stays hot for about two hours. After that, I usually warm it in the microwave. It tastes much better than coffee that has been sitting on a heating element.

The Thermal Carafe has another advantage – it saves us money. In our normal weekday routine, the coffee pot would be on for about two hours each time we made a pot of coffee. We pulled out the owners’ manual for our old coffee maker and figured out how much it cost us on our electrical bill. Figuring two pots a day and two hours for each pot, that meant that the heating element was on for four hours a day. Based on the electric rates we pay, that is at least $10 a month. This adds up. In less than a year, we covered the retail price of this coffee maker ($99.99).

However, we actually saved even more than that. We found a “re-furbished” Krups-209 at a local department store. We were told that “re-furbished” meant that someone had purchased it and then returned it - unused. Either they just didn’t want it (they just changed their mind) or, maybe the heating element had been defective and the factory replaced it. In any case, it came with all the original warranties. The price on this “re-furbished” coffee maker was $45.00.

After two years, we have had no problems with this purchase.

Krups Silver Art Thermal 10 Cup Coffee Maker

Krups Silver Art Thermal 10 Cup Coffeemaker Exclusive design: Stainless Steel, Chrome and wood optics. 10-cup thermal carafe for a warm coffee for hou...

Krups Silver Art Thermal 10 Cup Coffeemaker

Krups KM7000A Grind and Brew Coffee Maker Multicolor - KM7000A

Shop for Coffee Makers from Hayneedle.com! Tackle the daily grind with the Krups KM700A Grind and Brew Coffee Maker. It automatically grinds whole bea...

Krups Coffee Maker

Krups Coffee Maker

A 12-cup capacity makes this versatile, sleek coffee maker by Krups perfect for serving coffee to a crowd.

KRUPS KT611D50 Precision Programmable 10-Cup Coffee Maker with Stainless Steel Thermal Carafe, Silver

KRUPS 12-Cup Cup-on-Request Programmable Coffeemaker with Precise Warming Technology, Black

Make delicious, aromatic coffee with the KRUPS 12-Cup Cup-on-Request Programmable Coffeemaker with Precise Warming Technology. You can program this co...

Krups 10 Cup Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker KT720D50

Krups 10 Cup Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker KT720D50

Krups 10 Cup Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
Krups Km810555 Km 8000 12-cup Die-cast Programmable Coffee Maker Machine Stainls

Krups KM8105 This coffee machine is a beautiful complement to Krups 2 and 4-slice die cast toasters, while maintaining the outstanding performance our...

Krups KM611D50 12-Cup Programmable LCD Dahlstrom Coffee Maker - Brush Stainless Steel Multicolor - KM611D50

Shop for Coffee Makers from Hayneedle.com! About Krups (Groupe SEB)Krups is a Groupe SEB brand, offering high-performance products for the kitchen tha...