LEGO Star Wars Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (8017) Reviews

LEGO Star Wars Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (8017)

Vader's Lego Tie Fighter - No Wonder the Darkside Lost

Aug 10, 2009
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:Cool looking design and excellent Darth Vader Minifigure.

Cons:Breaks apart easily and not as much value as other Lego Star Wars sets.

The Bottom Line: Vader is touch, his ship is lacking confidence.  Suggest other more durable Lego Star Wars sets.

Pro: Vader Mini-figure, and cool design for display.

CON: Wings, as designed, fall off at the meerest breeze; a bit harder on the diffculty scale for young builders - probably a 8 age group. The Rebel Alliance would have wrapped up the Empire in Episode IV if all of the Empire has such flimsy vehicles!

The Star Wars line of Legos are very cool, desired by collectors and kids alike, and probably a bit overly priced, IMHO. This one, I have to say is a disappointment if its for a young kid who wants to play with it. This model is really for the Xer / Boommer who wants one more Star WArs item for his desk, amongst the Dilbert, Xmen and Simpsons characters.  Unless if this is for display for your co-workers, or to be boxed up in the attic as your retirement fund in 2060, I'd have to say pass on Vaders TIE FIGHTER 8017.

PRICE: I paid $29.90 at the Chicago Lego Store.It was the going place at a nearby Target, Kmart as well.  Not too often that the SW sets go on discount. For 251 pieces, that's about an average deal.  The big bonus is the Vader figure; which often goes for $5-10 alone on Ebay. However, right now there are better Lego Star Wars sets that I'd recommend before this one.

EASE OF DIRECTIONS: Purchased for an adept and Lego experienced 8 year old.  I luckily, was invited to help out quite a bit on this one.
FEATURES: The cockpit has a pretty basic hinge feature, and two very very very safe rockets, "flick firing" that aren't spring loaded or too interesting (check out the new British Navy sets for the real cannon spring loaded pieces!).

COOLNESS:Its a very nice, intimidating looking ship. But, due to its non-Sith nature of wing wiltage at the slightest bump, I have to give this one a 6 out of 10.

From the official Box info:
Blast the Rebels with Darth Vader's TIE fighter Straight from the original Star Wars movie, the TIE Advanced x1 is Darth Vaders personal starfighter! Even faster than a standard TIE fighter, Vaders TIE is customized with bent wings, a deflector shield and a hyperdrive.

Celebrate 10 years of LEGO Star Wars with this all-new set, featuring incredible movie-accurate details, flick-firing missiles, and the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, Darth Vader!

Lift the nose of the ship to seat Darth Vader at the controls!

Includes Darth Vader minifigure!Measures 6" (15cm) long by 7" (17cm) wide!

www.lego.com

If you like a better similarly priced LEGO set, I recommend you join the monthly LEGO club!  Check my other reviews for info.

Type of Toy: Blocks
Age Range of Child: 9 Years or Older

This lot is for (1) Lego Bionicle Hero Factory 7147 EXPLODE - 45 pieces in the box. This set in an unopened package - NRFB (never removed from box). F...

This lot is for (1) Lego Marvel Super Heroes 4530 THE HULK - 39 pieces in the box. This set in an unopened package - NRFB (never removed from box). FR...
This lot is for (1) Lego Bionicle Hero Factory 6230 STORMER XL - 89 pieces in the box. This set in an unopened package - NRFB (never removed from box)...
This lot is for (1) Lego Star Wars 8087 TIE DEFENDER - 304 pieces in the box. This set in an unopened package - NRFB (never removed from box). FREE Pr...
Product Details Celebrate 10 years of LEGO Star Wars with this all-new set Lift the nose of the ship to seat Darth Vader at the controls Includes Dart...