LG 47LM6400  47" Class Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED TV with SmartTV Reviews

LG 47LM6400 47" Class Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED TV with SmartTV

ratings (1 Epinions review)

AWESOME TV - A TRUE SMART TV & REMOTE

Sep 8, 2012 (Updated Sep 24, 2012)

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Gorgeous picture, amazing Magic-Motion remote, blacks are black, web browser, 3D, great sound

Cons:none thusfar

The Bottom Line: You won't find a more feature-packed LED TV in this size or price range. Picture & sound are gorgeous and the remote makes surfing the net a pleasure.

Please note: The heading states that this is an LCD TV....it's actually an LED/LCD TV.

After five weeks of owning the Samsung UN46ES6150F, we could not tolerate the inane remote-to-TV interface so I packed it up and returned it to Costco. I had almost given up on finding its replacement (at Costco) when I noticed this LG television. This is the only other option in my size range that has a web browser - not just internet apps.

I believe this is the time of year when rebates are plentiful because the newer TV models are about to be released. Such is the case with this model. It's regular price of $1,149 was reduced to $899. Because this LED TV is one inch larger than the Samsung, has 3D built in, comes with SIX pairs of 3D glasses AND was actually $50 cheaper - it was a no-brainer for me.

I learned that there are three types of TVs with regard to surfing the internet...

Option 1; A TV that will link to the internet but is limited to “internet apps” only and has no web browsing capabilities.  Let's say you wanted to check your Ebay auctions. You wouldn't be able to unless there was an app for Ebay in the TV. And while apps are released all the time, I like the freedom of being able to surf over to websites like Epinions, WebMD, etc.

Option 2; A TV that has internet apps AND the ability to surf over to any website on internet.

Option 3; Buy a TV with no link to the internet, but connect it to a PC (small desktop or laptop) which, in essence, makes the TV a huge PC monitor. Option 3 allows you to do all the things you can do on a PC (and be able to use computer software) from the comfort of your own bed. Option 3 is probably best for those who can’t get out of bed very often and need to write in-depth reviews on Epinions.

THE TELEVISION:

The picture is absolutely stunning! Even better than the Samsung due (in part) because the blacks are deep rich black - no washed-out gray tones here. Its sleek design fits our bedroom decor nicely and the viewing angle is pretty impressive since my stepson could see the TV from almost all the way to the side.

Another nice design feature is that the connection ports are located on the side of the TVs back panel. The Samsung had some ports on the back which is not terribly smart because it's mounted on the wall and space between the wall and the TV is quite limited.

There's even a "Dual Play" option. This allows gamers to play in a split screen mode - even if they're on different games or gaming systems!

The TV has a sleep timer which is nothing new, but it also has a wake up timer. So you can use the TV to wake up to each morning. You can set different days and times and not just one time daily.

You can set the TV to one of four languages... English, Spanish, French or Korean.

You can also block certain channels and set a password so that no one but those with the password can actually use the TV.

Picture Mode: You can set the TV to different brightness, color and tint settings depending on the room and its light levels. Intelligent Sensor adjusts automatically and there's Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game and Expert 1 and 2 for fine tuning and custom settings.

A minor quip  -  the four supplied mounting screws are TOO SHORT to mount my brackets to the TV. They're also a bit thin at 1/4" (fine thread pattern) when the Samsung's mounting screws were 5/16" and coarse thread pattern.

Thanks to the 240Hz refresh rate, the display is smooth during panning and tilting of the camera. With lower refresh rates, it might seem a bit choppy.

3D TECH:

When 3D technology hit the market, it was all the rage. Now it seems to have diminished a great deal with respect to home TVs but it remains quite popular at movie theatres. Keep in mind, that you need a 3D encoded disc and a 3D Blu-Ray player in order for the TV to broadcast a 3D image. But LG also incorporates a section of the home page called "3D World" where you can rent 3D movies, TV and sporting events if you don't want to spend the money on discs or a player.

My only complaint here is LG should have a sample movie clip to show off the 3D capabilities to others who have not seen 3D TV tech yet. Otherwise you're relegated to a 3D home screen where the cursor is the only 3D object. It should be mentioned that this TV comes with six pairs of LG's 3D glasses.

LG cautions people to take a 5-15 minute break every hour or you run the risk of eye strain, headaches or nausea. My advice is to go to a 3D movie (at the theatre) to determine if you show symptoms or if you can withstand watching the entire film. If you can't withstand the 3D effect, you might consider that when purchasing a TV with that technology.

THE REMOTE:

Here's the ironic part. My wife and I were about to watch a movie on Netflix in the living room where we access Netflix through our Wii game console connected to the net. "Wouldn't it be so much easier if the bedroom TV remote was a simple to use as this Wii controller?" I asked.  What are the odds? This LG remote is exactly what I wished for. With the Samsung remote, interfacing with the TV was tedious and annoying. "W"...enter. "W"...enter. "W"...enter and so on. And if you made a mistake - hitting any of the four arrow buttons that surround the "enter" button, you had to start all over again. So frustrating and the main reason I returned the Samsung.

With the LG remote, you point and click (at an on-screen QWERTY keyboard) each letter with a motion-controlled cursor just like on the Wii. SO GREAT! It's not as fast as keyboard, of course, but it's MUCH faster than the Samsung design.

This LG remote has very few buttons and a scroll wheel. It makes navigating any screen so much easier. Thank you LG engineers! I haven't even investigated whether (or not) a wireless keyboard would work with this TV because I don't really think we need it. I suppose that if you need to draft letters from the comfort of your bed, hooking a PC up to the TV would be the way to go... or maybe using a laptop instead.

Strange how much of an important selling point this remote really is.

SOUND:

There are seven modes... standard, music, cinema, sport, game, vivid and user setting. Basically each sound type is "equalized" for a particular event or show, while the user setting allows for a custom setting to your liking. You can also add a surround sound speaker package and turn off the internal TV speakers.

There are also three modes in the "optimizer" section which basically asks if the TV is mounted to the wall or on a stand or you can choose "normal" for basic optimization to a particular room.

One feature I found is that once you've networked your TV with the wireless router and since my main PC is on that network, it'll give me the option of playing music that's on my PC's hard drive...and it'll also allow for viewing of stored pictures on that same PC. So the TV really becomes a media hub.

Another feature is called "Clear Voice" and while I assumed it's for voice commands, it's actually designed to clarify the voices of characters in a show you're watching.

WEB BROWSER AND APPS:

Like the Samsung, this LG TV has an apps home screen.  It displays your favorite eight, but you can download more and reconfigure your faves any time. Apps that are already loaded include Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, YouTube, MLB.TV, Vudu and Cinema Now. Again, you can download all sorts of apps - many of which are free.

EXTENDED WARRANTY:

I always buy the warranty on TVs and major appliances. LG gives this TV a 1-year parts and labor warranty. Costco extends it by a year and Square Trade adds 3 more years for a total of five years. Square Trade offers three plans - TVs $1000 and up runs $99.99, $500 to $1000 runs $59.99 and under $500 runs $29.99.

For TVs larger than 37" they provide free in-home service. They offer free shipping for small TVs. The plans do NOT cover lamps though. Zero deductibles and if they can't fix the TV after two attempts, they give you a 100% refund.  After having my last TV die 3 weeks after a 3-year warranty, I like the 5-year plan.

BE CAREFUL: Depending on which Costco employee you speak to, they seem to think the warranty is based on the BEFORE rebate price. THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE! You should be charged on the lower price - after the rebate. Case in point, when I purchased the initial Samsung TV, the price was $1249.00 with a $300 rebate bringing the price down to $949. They charged me to cover a $1249 TV and I thought that was unfair since a rebate signals the product is coming down in price. When I exchanged the Samsung for this LG TV, the sticker price was $1,149 with a rebate of $250 bring the price down to $899.00. This time they walked up to the register with me and informed the cashier that the warranty is $59.99 for a $900 TV.

FINAL WORDS:

Comparing this LG TV to the Samsung I returned - there really is no comparison. While the Samsung did have a beautiful picture and the sound quality was good...the LG is better. The major selling point for us is that the LG remote is a hundred times more user friendly and surfing the net is MUCH easier. Add 3D to the mix and I'm so glad I switched over to LG for our master bedroom television.

I highly recommend this LG TV if you want a 47" LED HD TV for under $900. I don't think there's a more feature-packed LED TV in this price range.

FEATURES & SPECS:

Dual Play
Magic Remote
3 Mode Magic Motion remote Control Ready

Specifications:
Screen Size: 47 inch (46.9 diagonal)
LED LCD Panel
2D to 3D Conversion
Cinema 3D
Cinema Screen
Wi-Fi Ready
USB 2.0DivX
HDMicro Pixel Control
Intel Wireless Display (Wi-Di)
DLNA (Movies/Photo/Music)
LAN (wired)
HDMISimplink (HDMI-CEC) HDMI inAV In
Digital Audio Out (co-axial/optical) RF In
Component in (Y,Pb,Pr) + AudioRGB In (D-sub 15pin) – PCPC Audio Input

TV without stand (WxHxD) 41.9" x 24.7" x 1.3"
TV with stand (WxHxD)  41.9" x 27.6" x 10.4"
Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD)  52.0" x 31.9" x 5.3"
TV without stand weight  33.7 lbs
TV with stand weight  38.6 lbs
Shipping weight  47.4 lbs

Lg Electronics 55lm4700 55 Led Lcd Cinema 3d Tv With Sound Bar

Lg Electronics 55lm4700 55 Led Lcd Cinema 3d Tv With Sound Bar

1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ LG Electronics 55LM4700 55 LED LCD Cinema 3D TV with Sound Bar SKU: LOT55LM4700 Mfr. Part: 55...

LG 47 Class (46.9 diagonal) 1080p TruMotion 240hz Cinema 3D Smart TV

LG 47 Class (46.9 diagonal) 1080p TruMotion 240hz Cinema 3D Smart TV

Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080 3DTV 3D Type FPR (Passive) 3D to 2D/2D to 3D 3D Depth Control 20 Levels 3D Viewpoint Control 20 Levels 3D Image Correct...
Newegg.com

Lg 47la7400 47 1080p 240hz Cinema 3d Smart Led Hdtv W/ 4 Pairs Of Glasses

Lg 47la7400 47 1080p 240hz Cinema 3d Smart Led Hdtv W/ 4 Pairs Of Glasses

Access premium content with this LG 47 Class Smart HDTV (46.9 actual diagonal size) from providers like Hulu PlusA, NetflixA and YouTubeA. And, LG Cin...

Lg 60ga6400 60-inch 3d Lcd Tv

Lg 60ga6400 60-inch 3d Lcd Tv

LG 60GA6400 60-inch 3D LCD TV Magic Remote QWERTY works like a mouse keyboard.Discover, access and engage with Google TV.LG Cinema 3D delivers movie t...

LG Electronics - 55LA9700 55 4K Ultra HD Cinema 3D Smart TV - Bundle - with Adorama $1000

LG Electronics 55LA9700 55 4K Ultra HD Cinema 3D Smart TV - Bundle - with Adorama $1000.00 Gift Certificate Experience the evolution of High Definitio...
Adorama

Lg LG 55-inch LED Smart TV - 55GA6400 3D Google HDTV with Magic Remote Qwerty Plus Voice Search and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses

LG 55-inch LED TV 55GA6400LG's GA6400 TV lets you enjoy LG's intutive user interface with the power of Google. Now you can seamlessly search for cont...
Dell

Lg 55la9700 554k Ultra Hd Cinema 3d Smart Tv W/adorama $1000 Gift Certificate

Lg 55la9700 554k Ultra Hd Cinema 3d Smart Tv W/adorama $1000 Gift Certificate

1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ LG Electronics 55LA9700 55 4K Ultra HD Cinema 3D Smart TV - Bundle - with Adorama $1000.00 Gi...

LG Electronics - 47LB6300 47 Class Full HD 1080p LED Smart HDTV, - Bundle With NB3530A 2.

LG Electronics 47LB6300 47 Class Full HD 1080p LED Smart HDTV, - Bundle With LG Electronics NB3530A 2.1 300w Soundbar with Subwoofer The LG 47LB6300 4...
Adorama

Lg 55ec9300 55 Curved Oled Cinema 3d Smart Tv, 1080p,

Lg 55ec9300 55 Curved Oled Cinema 3d Smart Tv, 1080p,

1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ LG Electronics 55EC9300 55 Curved OLED Cinema 3D Smart TV, 1920x1080 Resolution, 8 Modes Pict...