LG Cosmos VN250 Reviews

LG Cosmos VN250

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Decent Texting Cell Phone - LG Cosmos (LG-VN250)

Apr 13, 2011 (Updated Apr 13, 2011)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Clarity:
  • Portability:
  • Battery Life:

Pros:Easy navigation, Easy to text with, Good call clarity

Cons:Screen scratches easily, Poor speakerphone

The Bottom Line: If you're looking for a phone for talking, lots of texting and perhaps the occasional photo, the LG Cosmos is a decent phone

The LG Cosmos (LG-VN250) is not a cell phone that I would have bought myself.  I received it as a work phone where we don't have data plans, but we do use the phones quite a bit for texting.  I figured the Cosmos would fit the bill as it looked to be a good phone to do a lot of texting on.

I cannot say that I really love this phone, but so far, as knock around work phone, it has done okay.  My work takes me all over and the phone travels with me, in a laptop case, in my pocket, in my backpack, depending on what I'm doing that day.  So far in two months of heavy use, besides some scratching on the screen and the body, the phone continues to work well.

I have had several other LG phones in the past and have always found them to be a solidly made phone that generally will last for quite a while without many problems and the Cosmos seems to be falling into that category.

Phone Basics

First off, the LG Cosmos is not your latest, greatest, whiz-banged feature filled smart phone.  It is more of a texting phone.  It offers a small QWERTY slide out keyboard and limited access to the web and social media applications.  You can download applications, ringtones and such from Verizon, but they all cost extra and unless you have a data plan with the phone, you will be charged data fees too.  We had all the data services disconnected on the phone since my job doesn't require them and it is easy enough to accidentally start connection to the web and stuff if you are not paying attention.

This is a phone for someone who texts and talks a lot, which for my job, is a good fit.

Phone Details

The Cosmos is almost 4 inches in length, about 2 inches in width and just over a half an inch thick.  I find it to be slightly heftier than other phones and it is a bit thicker than the personal Blackberry Curve that I have, though it is not as wide as the Blackberry.  The weight of the Cosmos is about 3 ½ ounces.  When I put the Cosmos in my pocket, it isn't much of a nuisance, but I know it is there.

This phone works on Verizon's CDMA network and the reception and call clarity on the network is good.  I would say it is on par with the older Blackberry I have and it is better than the Samsung Intensity that my spouse has.  Pretty much wherever I can get a signal, I can make a call with the Cosmos.  It will start to break up on very weak signals, but that's what every phone does.

Texting is easy enough on the phone.  You can either use the traditional phone keypad on the front or you can use the small QWERTY keyboard that slides out.  For short texts I use front keypad, longer texts, I slide out the keyboard.  When you slide out the keyboard, the screen automatically changes orientation to make it easier to navigate and put together messages.

Navigation on the phone is fairly straightforward.  You can enter the messages functions or the contact functions directly from the main screen or reach them through the menu structure.  Inside the menu structure you can adjust most of the phone settings and access the data services that are available.  These are all navigated by a 4-way keypad with an okay button in the center/top of the phone, along with two selection buttons and a clear button.

There is an okay speakerphone on this phone.  Do not expect to carry on a conversation in a noisy car or situation though.  Clarity on the phones end is decent at best and I've found other people have a hard time hearing me unless I'm using the speakerphone in a very quiet environment.  I do like how easy it is to access the speakerphone function though - there's a small button right on the front navigation pad that lets you toggle between the speaker and speakerphone.

Ring tone and call volumes are easily adjusted by two buttons on the left side of the phone, along with the camera functions, which also has a small button on the left side.  On the right side there's a headphone jack and a microSD card slot should you want to add storage space.  At the bottom of the phone is a micro-USB port that lets you charge the phone and connect it to a computer.

The screen is bright and easy to read.  The only problem I've run across is that it is very easy to scratch.

There's a 3.2 megapixel camera in the phone that takes decent pictures in brightly lit situations.  I use it to take quick pictures in the field when I need to get them to other people.  For detailed stuff, I still use my regular camera.

The Bluetooth works well.  The phone easily connected to my speakerphone that I have for driving.

You can set the phone to automatically lock whenever you aren't using it.  I would suggest doing this, otherwise it is very easy to accidentally dial or otherwise activate this phone, whether it is in your pocket or in a bag.  I've done it several times.

Battery life is decent on the phone.  With irregular use, I can go on standby for several days.  When I am working and using the phone regularly though, I do have to charge more often.  LG says you should get about 3 1/2 hours of talk time out of a single charge.  I would say this is slightly generous.  For standby, they say three days, which is probably about right.

When you get the phone from Verizon you get the phone, a battery, a wall/USB charger and the reference guide for the phone.

Experiences

So far so good with this phone.  Even though it is similar to the Samsung that my partner has, the quality of this LG phone so far seems to be a lot better.  The call quality is clearer and it seems to be standing up to fairly rugged use better.

I do have a couple of worries about this phone going into the future though.  I don't like how easily the screen scratches and each scratch dulls the clarity and brightness of the screen, making it harder and harder to see small details on the screen.  I would assume at some point, the plastic will just basically become all roughed up.  I also don't feel quite comfortable with the connection between the slide out QWERTY keyboard and the rest of the phone.  It does not feel that solid and I am not sure if after significant use, it'll all stay together and work.  So far, no problems though.

Like I said, I have a job that has me driving all over, hiking in the woods and doing plenty of other things, so the phone is exposed to use that's probably a lot more rugged than average.  So far it has done fine, whether it is in a backpack or in my laptop bag, or being dropped on the ground on the trail.

Final Thoughts

I am not a huge fan of the design of the LG Cosmos in general, but considering I got the phone for free as part of my job, it has not been a bad phone to use.  I appreciate the LG name behind it and it does seem to be better than similar phones from other manufacturers.  I'm still not quite sold on the long term viability of the phone in a rough environment, but for normal use, I don't think it would have any problems.

Overall if you're looking for a decent phone for talking, lots of texting and perhaps the occasional photo, the LG Cosmos is a decent phone.  I have not had any problems with it and it has served my needs as a business phone quite well.

Recommended for: Adventurous Technophiles - Tough and Durable

LG Cosmos VN250 Reflective Fitness Armband (Blue)

LG Cosmos VN250 Reflective Fitness Armband (Blue)

The LG Cosmos VN250 Reflective Fitness Armband is the perfect fitness buddy. Simply insert your device into the pocket, wrap the band around your arm,...

Brand New Replacement Battery for LG Cosmos VN250 Cellular Phones

Brand New Replacement Battery for LG Cosmos VN250 Cellular Phones

Replacement Battery for LG Cosmos VN250 Cellular Phones
Cosmopolitan Smart Wristlet for LG Cosmos VN250, Orange/Yellow

Cosmopolitan Smart Wristlet for LG Cosmos VN250, Orange/Yellow

Designed to fit your style, this functional smart wristlet is a chic fashion statement. Protect your smartphone from scratches and damage while having...

Clip-on Rubber Coated Case Compatible with LG Cosmos VN250, Dark Blue

Clip-on Rubber Coated Case Compatible with LG Cosmos VN250, Dark Blue

Your LG Cosmos VN250 is as attractive and usable while protected from dust and scratches in this rubber coated plastic Clip on case accessory Extremel...
LG Cosmos VN250 Micro USB Data/Charge Cable (Extends 6 ft.)

LG Cosmos VN250 Micro USB Data/Charge Cable (Extends 6 ft.)

LG Cosmos VN250 Micro USB Data/Charge Cable (Extends 6 ft.) - Sync your phone with a PC today with this Micro USB/Charge Cable. Connect your cell phon...

LG Cosmos VN250 Genuine Leather Crossbody Smart Purse, Black

LG Cosmos VN250 Genuine Leather Crossbody Smart Purse, Black

Whatever the occasion, this crossbody smart purse is perfect for on-the-go travel. Made from quality genuine cow leather, the magnetic snap flap keeps...

LG Cosmos VN250 Genuine Leather Crossbody Smart Purse, Tan

LG Cosmos VN250 Genuine Leather Crossbody Smart Purse, Tan

BasAcc Black Snap-on Rubber Coated Case for LG Cosmos VN250

BasAcc Black Snap-on Rubber Coated Case for LG Cosmos VN250

This is a BasAcc black snap-on rubber coated case for LG Cosmos VN250. Protect your cell phone against bumps and scratches with this accessory set.
Oversized Horizontal Leather Carrying Case for LG Cosmos VN250

Oversized Horizontal Leather Carrying Case for LG Cosmos VN250

Hand-crafted from full-grain, premium leather with a secure magnetic flap closure, soft interior lining and reinforced belt clip. Measures 5.00 (H) x ...

Rugged (XXL) Nylon Vertical Carrying Case for LG Cosmos VN250

Rugged (XXL) Nylon Vertical Carrying Case for LG Cosmos VN250

Crafted from premium materials with a secure velcro flap closure, soft interior lining and reinforced belt clip. Measures 2.79 (W) x 5.39 (H) x 0.34 (...