LG LRE30755 Electric Range

LG hits the mark with this electric range

Jan 22, 2008 (Updated Jan 23, 2008)

Pros:Looks great with lots of nice features, glass cook top is easy to clean.

Cons:The split oven rack is a little tricky.

The Bottom Line: If you are ready for a glass top range, this feature rich model might be perfect for you.

Background

My wife and I lost our beloved Sear's Kenmore Elite (by Frigidair) electric range in early December. We were really bummed about this as we had only had that Kenmore range for about 2 years and it cost $1400.

Unfortunately, we had gotten accustomed to the many nice features that the Kenmore Elite had, but we did not want to risk buying another one, nor did we have the cash to spend.

So we looked around and decided to try this LG electric range (model LRE30755). This range came close to the features that the Kenmore had, at a price we were able to swing. Plus we had bought a washer and dryer from LG and we continue to be quite pleased with them.

BestBuy did have this item for sale at one point for something like $900 or so as I recall. Unfortunately, we just missed the sale, but since we were without a range of any kind for 3 weeks, we bought it anyway. BestBuy would not budge on the price even though we missed the sale by a single day....ughhh.

General Features

This LG range is electric with a convection oven and a smooth glass top. It has 4 burners and a 1 warming zone.
The rear burners (2 burners) are 6 inches and the left front burner is 9 inches and the right front burner is a dual burner that goes from 9 to 12 inches. The warming zone is 6 inches (note that the warming zone is temperature adjustable).

This range also has a warming drawer to keep already cooked food items warm. The warming drawer is temperature adjustable.

The oven also comes with the oven racks (pretty common) with one rack being a split rack (you can remove a section for tall items that might stick up from a lower rack).

In addition to the racks, you get the standard broiler pan and broiler grid, plus there is a rack for the warming drawer.

The range also features a touch pad rear mounted control (rising up from the back of the range - again pretty common layout). The nice thing about this is that the controls and the cook top are smooth and can be wiped down with cleaner. There are no openings for food items/grease to fall into, so cleaning is generally easy.

There is a timer and a time of day clock.

The oven is a fairly large 5.6 cubic foot capacity and it also has a large viewing window. The oven can bake up to 550 degrees (Fahrenheit).

Of course this oven is also self-cleaning. It also features a preheat reminder that has both an audible beep and a visual flashing interior oven light to indicate when the preheat temperature is reached.

Advanced Features

This is where you begin to think "what is it that this range cannot do".

The electronic control has all kinds of interesting features. For example:

- there is a delayed bake mode (you can start the oven at a certain time and cook for a certain duration).

- There is a built in convection cook time conversion. For example, if a recipe says you need to bake something for 40 minutes at 400 degrees, but you want to use convection baking, the range will automatically adjust the cooking temperature and cooking time.

For those of you who may not be familiar with convection baking, it is essentially a fan within the oven that circulates the air inside the oven giving a more even heat distribution over the food. It sounds pretty simple, but it really does reduce cooking times for certain items.

- bread proofing feature (to create a warm environment in the oven to make yeast rise).

- the oven shuts off automatically after 12 hours (in case you forget to turn it off). You can actually program range and oven to shut off after a certain number of hours.

- range is programmable to use either Celsius or Fahrenheit.

- adjustable oven thermostat - if you think the factory setting is not valid, you can adjust the oven temperature +/- 35 degrees.

- language setting (English or Spanish).

- set warning beeper volume.

I am just glossing over some of the more interesting features, but this range is really loaded with features.

Appearance and User Interface

The LG range looks pretty nice. It has rear mounted controls on a raised control panel (traditional range layout). There is a touch keypad buttons for everything.
Not a single knob in sight.

The oven interior is a very interesting shade of blue (regardless of the exterior color) and it looks pretty cool.

All in all, the range looks pretty modern, but it does keep to a traditional range look. I would think this could look great in any kitchen.

Colors available at this time are stainless steel, black, and white (which is what we have). The cook top is the same color as the range (which is nice for those that choose black).

As I mentioned before, the range controls consist of many raised bubble type buttons on the control panel. If you want to set the oven to 375 degrees and bake, you press the bake button and then push 3 - 7 - 5 on the touch keypad. Note that if you just press bake, the oven defaults to baking at 350 degrees.

Cooking

This range cooks quite well. We have absolutely no complaints.

The oven heats up very quickly, and the burners also heat up pretty fast. The temperature controls seem to be quite accurate.

When a range top burner is on, it will glow a reddish orange. Once a burner is off, the range top returns to its normal color almost instantly. A warning does appear on the control panel for the burners that are still hot but are now turned off. You will see an HS appear on that burner control (for Hot Surface).

Final Thoughts

LG has really built a lot of nice technology into this range. Plus they have put some thought into the engineering of the range to make it easy to care for. For example, the oven door gasket is mounted to the outside of the oven opening and not to the oven door. This makes cleaning much easier. Believe me I know, I once dropped a pizza cheese side down on an oven door.

Short of one or two features that my old range had (like slow cook oven mode - like a crock pot), I am quite happy with this LG range. I do wish it had a glass touch panel instead of the raised (bubble) buttons. Actually LG does offer a glass touch panel range, but it is close to $2000.

The only negative I can think of is that I think the split oven rack could have been designed better. The rack is very easy to split apart, but when you are using it together, you need to be careful how you grab the rack to slide it out.

Other than that, I think this is an excellent range thus far.

One definite positive compared to my last range, is that the LG cook top seems to clean up with much less effort. You still need to clean it after each use with cook top cleaner, but the LG requires much less scrubbing than the Kenmore Elite.

Also, we bought this at BestBuy and we paid about $100 for an additional 5 year warranty (after losing a $1400 dollar range, I did not want to take any chances). I did not think the additional $100 was bad considering this is a $1099 range.

LG Electronics Range. 30 in. 6.3 cu. ft. Electric Range with Self-Cleaning in Stainless Steel LRE3021ST

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. LG's new single oven range can handle all of your family's cooking needs. Premium Style with Brilliant Blue int...
Home Depot

LRE3085ST 30 Wide 6.3 cu. ft. Capacity Freestanding Electric Range with True Convection

The LG39s LRE3085ST electric range is the largest electric oven in the industry along with innovative convenient features such as EasyClean Technology...

LG 6.3 Cu Ft Stainless Steel Electric Single Oven Range - LRE3021ST

LG 6.3 Cu Ft Stainless Steel Electric Single Oven Range - LRE3021ST

Largest Electric Range In The Industry/ Our Fastest Boiling Element/ Easy Operation At A Touch/ Intuitouch Controls/ 4 Cooktop Elements/ 6.3 Cu Ft Cap...
Abt Electronics

LRE3083ST 30 Wide 6.3 cu. ft. Capacity Freestanding Electric Range With IntuiTouch

LG39s LRE3083S is Largest electric oven range in the industry with features such as EasyClean True Convection and 5 elements Don39t fret about cleanin...
AppliancesConnection

LG Electronics Range. 6.3 cu. ft. Single Oven Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Convection Oven in Stainless Steel LRE3083ST

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. LG s largest capacity electric oven in the industry* (6.3 cu. ft.), you can handle all of your family s cooking...

LG Black Freestanding Electric Convection Oven - LRE3083SB

LG Black Freestanding Electric Convection Oven - LRE3083SB

6.3 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ EasyClean Technology/ True Convection/ 5 Cooktop Elements With Warming Zone/ 3.2kw Element/ IntuiTouch Control System/ IntuiScro...
Abt Electronics

LRE3083S 30 Wide 6.3 cu. ft. Capacity Freestanding Electric Range with IntuiTouch Keypad

AppliancesConnection

LG Electronics Range. 6.3 cu. ft. Single Oven Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Convection Oven in Smooth White LRE3083SW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The Largest electric oven in the industry*, now with EasyClean Technology can handle all of your family s cooki...