LG WD-3243RHD All-in-One Washing Machine

LG Sense Clean Washes and Dries in One Very Long Step

Sep 13, 2009
  • User Rating: OK

Pros:Uses little detergent and water; Washes and dries

Cons:Small capacity; Long cycle time; No door handle; Small clothing can get stck

The Bottom Line: This washer/dryer is a nice idea, but has to many flaws to make it worthwhile.

Energy- efficiency makes a good appliance that much better than before and many different appliances are either energy- certified or help to save energy based on their design. Front- loading washers fit into the latter category and one machine that adds a new dimension to efficiency is LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD, a front- loading electronic device that serves as both a washer and a dryer.

Washer/Dryer Facts and Features:

LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD is an all- in one washing and drying combination with front- loading operation. The small interior of this washer/dryer is designed to hold about 6.5 pounds of clothing and includes five different wash cycles: Cotton, Permanent Press, Quick, Rinse/Spin, and Wool. Water temperature combinations include Hot/Cold, Warm/Warm, Warm/Cold, and Cold/Cold.

Looking at other options, one will find a spin control that lets you select the RPM (1200, 1000, 800, 600, or no spin), a control to add an extra wash cycle, and a control to select drying options such as auto dry, timed drying, and no heat. To the right of these different options one will find a power on/off button, a start/pause button, and a door open button. The time remaining in the full cycle displays in LCD form, direcly to the right of the water temperature settings.

This LG washer/dryer has small dimensions. It measures approximately 34 inches in height, 24 inches in width, and 24 inches in depth. It comes with a standard one- year warranty on parts and labor.

Final Thoughts:

High- efficiency appliances are all the rage, and it makes sense when purchasing a new appliance to consider the efficiency level when making a final decision. These energy saving appliances can save consumers a good deal of money in electricty and other costs without giving up very many conveniences.

With washers, the most efficient units are front- loading machines and there are several on the market that perform quite nicely and save a good deal of power, water, and detergent. I have been attracted to these front- loading machines but I never really took the time to get to know one until I got to experience the LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD washer/dryer combination first hand. This unit not only washes with efficiency, it also dries your laundry. You don't even need to be there to switch the clothing from one machine to the next. This unit spins out the water and then switches over to dryer mode to complete the job, all in one step.

The LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD washer/dryer combo is all about convenience and efficiency and this is evident from the very start. First, you insert your clothing. Then, you pull out a compartment on the top that has separate places for detergent, bleach, and fabric softener. Pushing the compartment back into place, you press the power button. It will be set to the washer/dryer defaults and you can change them at this point, if you wish, by pressing the appropriate button. If you like what you see, you press start. The door locks, and the process begins.

This washer/dryer combo certainly offers a few positive points that deserve mention. The pro that you will realize first is the very small amount of detergent needed for a load of laundry. Only about 1 oz. is necessary, and this means your container of laundry detergent will last a good long time. You shouldn't use any more than this because the sudsing action will be far greater than necessary, possibly forcing a second run of the rinse cycle. The use of water is also very low and, of course, there is no need to switch the laundry over to the dryer when the washing is complete because it takes care of both tasks for you.

A washer/dryer combination is certainly a great idea and I was very attracted to this machine when I decided to give it a whirl. I loved the idea of not having to switch my clothing because not only was this more convenient, it also meant I didn't need to worry about remembering this important step. I can recall many occasions when I forgot to dry my clothes and was late to an event as a result. There is even a time delay function that will start the machine at a later time of day. So far, this sounds like the perfect laundry device and one that everyone should consider owning, right? How can you beat features such as these?

Well, I'm afraid there are plenty of problems with the LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD Washer/Dryer combo. The most obvious is the tiny capacity of this unit. It can hold only about 6.5 pounds of clothing, making it worthwhile for either a single person or a couple, but that is about it. In fact, the interior of this machine is even smaller than it first appears, as I quickly learned when I opened the door and tried to stuff some laundry inside. With space this small, the unit loses some of its appeal. Yes, it uses little water and detergent but considering that my top- loading washer holds about three times as much laundry, much of the efficiency is lost.

Another problem I discovered with the LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD is that small articles of clothing can get stuck under the door. The door is made from see- through glass and it curves inward. A small clothing item can easily get stuck under the glass curve on the inside, and that means it won't get washed the way it should. I observed this happening several times and while I knew I could pause the cycle, open the door, and correct the problem, I didn't want to spend my time observing and watching for problems such as this. I wanted to start the washer/dryer and forget about it.

Are there other problems with the LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD washer/dryer combo? You bet there are. Another is the noise level. Like some other front- loading washers, it does the tumble- stop, tumble- stop routine over and over again. This back and forth action can be a distraction, but what is worse is when it dries. It sounds like an alarm and at first I thought something was wrong and went running into the room to check the machine. I also don't like that I can hear the sound of water when the drying cycle is running. It makes you think your laundry is getting wet while attempting to dry. And the door is also a slight problem because it has no handle. You have to grip the edge with your fingertips to pull it open. There is nothing to grip.

If all this wasn't enough, there is one other problem with this machine that will make it unacceptable to most consumers, and that is the LONG cycle time! If you accept the default settings, a full wash/dry will take nearly four hours of time! This is much more than other washers and dryers, and that includes other front- loading units. True, you can make a few slight adjustments to the time for a complete cycle, but you can't change much and you cannot change the drying at all unless you don't mind your clothing coming out wet.

Using the standard settings of the LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD results in clothing that is fairly well cleaned and dry although slightly wrinkled- even if removed promptly. I found the finished product acceptable, but the time it takes to get there and the other probems are difficult to overlook. One round with this washer/dryer combo and I was looking forward to returning to my traditional top loading washer. Even if it does use more water and detergent, at least I knew what to expect and when to expect it.

Overall, the LG Sense Clean WD-3243RHD washer/dryer combo is a great idea gone wrong. This concept has potential but LG will need to work out the many problems with this model before it can be considered for widespread distribution and acceptance. I like the ability to wash and dry in one step and the limited water and detergent usage are nice, but numerous other flaws lead to a rating for this washer/dryer combination that is well below average.

LG White Top Load Washer WT5070CW

LG White Top Load Washer WT5070CW

LG White Top Load Washer WT5070CW. 4.7 Cu. Ft. Ultra Large Capacity with NeveRust Stainless Steel Drum. Towers of towels, piles of sweatshirts, and a ...
AJ Madison

LG 4.7 Cu. Ft. Top Loading Washer WT5070CW

LG 4.7 Cu. Ft. Top Loading Washer WT5070CW

LG WT5070CW The Energy Star 4.7 Cu. Ft. Ultra-Large Capacity High-Efficiency Top-Load Washer, in white, allows you to do more laundry in fewer loads....
Wayfair

Lg High Efficency Top Load Washer And Steam Dryer Wt5070cw Dlgx5171w

Lg High Efficency Top Load Washer And Steam Dryer Wt5070cw Dlgx5171w

Payment | Shipping | Additional Information | Policies LG HIGH EFFICENCY TOP LOAD WASHER AND STEAM DRYER WT5070CW DLGX5171W Click to View Image Album ...

LG 4.7-cu ft High-Efficiency Top-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR WT5070CW

LG 4.7-cu ft High-Efficiency Top-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR WT5070CW

Ultra large 4. 7 cu. ft. capacity allows you do more laundry in fewer loads, resulting in time saved and sore backs avoided. WaveForce technology u...
Lowe's

LG Electronics 4.7 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR WT5070CW

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The LG Electronics Wave Series 4.7 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer comes with hoses included and featur...
Home Depot

LG Wave Series 4.7 Cu. Ft. High Efficiency TopLoad Washer

LG Wave Series 4.7 Cu. Ft. High Efficiency TopLoad Washer

You probably never thought you'd love doing laundry. But, with the top-loading WT5070CW washer, laundry isn't just another chore--it's an experience. ...
QVC

LG Top Load Washer WT5170H

LG Top Load Washer WT5170H

LG Top Load Washer WT5170H. 4.7 Cu. Ft. Ultra Large Capacity with NeveRust Stainless Steel Drum. Direct Drive Motor with 10-Year Limited Warranty. 1,1...
AJ Madison

Danby DWM17WDB Portable Top Load Washing Machine - White

Danby DWM17WDB Portable Top Load Washing Machine - White

Features: 11.02 lb. capacity portable top-load washing machine with quiet operation Rust resistant galvanized steel cabinet with stainless steel tub a...
DWM17WDB Portable Top Load Washing Machine With 8 Wash Programs  Electronic Controls

DWM17WDB Portable Top Load Washing Machine With 8 Wash Programs Electronic Controls

This new portable top load washing machine is perfect for those living in apartments or condominiums Features include 8 wash programs 4 water level se...
AppliancesConnection