LaCie MosKeyto (8 GB) USB 2.0 Flash Drive (130982)

LaCie's amazing MosKeyto.

Jan 13, 2011 (Updated Jan 14, 2011)

Pros:Size, weight, tethered with dust cap, fast read speed, key chain friendly

Cons:No status LED, no 'bonus' software, slow write speed

The Bottom Line: Excellent portability makes this miniature device a winner.

I typically carry my most recent work files with me to access them from home or any other computer I get to use. Traditional USB storage devices are generally great until you forget to take them with you, or until you break them because they stick out too far.

The LaCie MosKeyto pretty much ended a long series of USB Key mishaps in which the stick design didn't survive accidental collisions with the user (that would be me) when plugged in. The Ultra compact design inherently avoids such problems as it barely sticks out and provides very little area to even touch it. Further, the reduced moment arm makes it much sturdier. The included dust cap helps to avoid contacting or contaminating the electrical contacts and the string tether makes sure that it remains attached to the key chain while providing very little adverse effects from the weight of your keys.

I used to rely on Sandisk's sturdy Cruzer Titanium series, but the hard shell hardly prevented accidents as the "running over with a truck" was not a realistic hazard for me anyway. The soft core (electronics & USB connector), on the other hand were very fragile and if a simple unplugging didn't kill the electronics, I could rely on plugging it into my tower and bending it into submission when walking by. Believe it or not, the Liquid Metal never broke, but I still managed to kill 4 devices within a short time (hard shell, soft core). The MosKeyto may not survive a truck, but it has much better chances in any of the outlined scenarios that killed the 'tough' Cruzers.

There is no software pre-installed of any kind (U3 Launcher, file recovery, backup etc.). Generally that's not a big deal, even if I kinda miss the simplicity of the Sandisk Ultra backup, where the push of a button updates all your files automatically. A bit more surprising is the absence of any status LED that warns the user that it's still mounted -- or worse yet -- currently writing data. Make sure to dismount the device through the computer before unplugging

Internally, the Flash memory shows some surprising performance disparity between Write and Read. In my testing w/ a collection of large files between 10 and 20 MByte, the write speed clocked in at a very moderate 3 MByte/sec. That's not the end of the world in light of the diminutive size, but a far cry from the impressive read speed of 21 MByte/sec (same files). I guess one needs to remember that

Overall, this feels like the best portable drive I ever owned, mostly due to the design with avoids basically all destruction methods that so easily overcame the hard shell of the Cruzer Titanium series. It's very light weight and small, which makes it easy to carry on your key chain and have it whenever you need it. I only should have opted for the 16 GByte version, but the price point of under $20 was a good reason to give this one a try. ... and yes, I love it!