Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Bags, Cranberry Twist Reviews

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Bags, Cranberry Twist

Epinions Product Rating: OK

I just ran, I ran all night and day. I threw this stuff away.

Mar 23, 2006 (Updated Mar 23, 2006)

Pros:Easy to prepare

Cons:Tastes funky, gave me stomach cramps and the runs, contains a laxative

The Bottom Line: The results were dramatic but not in a good way. This tea contains a natural laxative and BOY does it work. Could be dangerous at worst, unpleasant at best.

I am a tea lover and drink all kinds of teas from green to herbal to good ole black tea.

I am not on a diet but I spotted Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Bags, Cranberry Twist on drugstore.com and it seemed like a good tasting tea with added benefits. Although I am not actively trying to lose weight, why NOT drink a natural tea that helps with weight maintenance? Well, I found out a few reasons…

The Official Word

Drugstore.com:

America's #1 Selling Dieter's Tea*
Naturally Caffeine Free
All Natural. No Artificial Ingredients
Laci Le Beau®. Your Cup of Tea™.
Dear Friend,
Dieting can be difficult. But it can also be satisfying. Especially with the help of my relaxing, flavorful, all natural Super Dieter's Teas. My teas have helped a lot of my friends succeed. They'll help you too. A strong diet and fitness routine can help you take control of your life and change it for the better. Once you do, tell me how my teas have helped you. Share your challenges, and how you overcame them. I'd love to hear from you. My dream is for the ancient wisdom of tea drinking to play an important role in your healthy lifestyle. So you can look your best, feel your best, and be your best. Always.
Warmest Wishes,
Laci

Packaging

The box I got contained 24 bags in a red and yellow cellophane sealed box with black accents. The name of the tea and "Super Dieter's Tea" are the first things you will notice when looking at the box. The ingredients are on the back. The box opens like a typical tea bag box, nothing fancy there.

The Taste, The Effectiveness, The Effects

I brewed a steaming cup (actually 12 ounces as per the insert) of Cranberry Twist Tea and let the bag sit in the hot water for well over two minutes as per instructions. I could smell the fragrant cranberry with some sweetness as it brewed.

The instructions say to drink six ounces after my evening meal and the other six ounces the next day after the evening meal. A bit later, you can brew a bag in just one cup of tea (actually six ounces).

This is caffeine free and all natural. I wondered why I had to gradually build up to brewing the tea stronger. It was, after all, just tea. I usually drink a 16 ounce cup of hot tea so six ounces was really not enough for me to truly enjoy my drink.

The taste is OK. It wasn't as good as the smell. The smell was very fresh and fragrant. The taste is sort of like roots and dirt with cranberry blended in. I don't mean it was terrible or disgusting, just very different from any herbal tea I ever had. I drank my little six ounce cup after dinner and went on with my life.

About an hour later, I got stomach cramps. Because my stomach is kind of touchy, I thought nothing of it.

The next night I had my six ounces of tea. And I got stomach cramps again. Plus the runs. Ugh.

I didn't feel any appetite control or anything else when it comes to diet help. Like I said, I wasn't dieting anyway but I would have noticed if my appetite has been reduced. I ate the same amount as always which isn't much but enough for me.

I did, however, start to lose my appetite as the tea did a number on my gut. It was obvious by day four that the tea was causing the stomach problems and all that went with them. It was not pleasant especially when I had a cup after dinner at a dinner party given by friends. Sheesh, talk about embarrassing. An hour later, I was running to the bathroom in an obvious attempt to beat my natural response to whatever was in this tea.

I was experiencing the runs all day not just after drinking the tea after the second cup. By then I HAD lost weight. But not healthfully!

I read on the insert that stomach problems are a common side effect of this tea.

The warning on the insert says,""This product contains Tinnevelly Senna (leaf). Read and follow directions carefully. Do not use if you have or develop diarrhea, loose stools, or abdominal pain because Senna may worsen these conditions and be harmful to your health. Consult your physician if you have frequent diarrhea or if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or have a medical condition."

I looked up what was and found this very interesting passage on www.herbalgram.org that explains why I had the reaction I did.:

Tinnevelly Senna (leaf) Side Effects

In single incidents, cramp-like discomforts of the gastrointestinal tract. These cases require a dosage reduction.

With chronic use or abuse:

Disturbance of electrolyte balance, especially potassium deficiency, albuminuria and hematuria. Pigment implantation into the intestinal mucosa (pseudomelanosis coli) is harmless and usually reverses on discontinuation of the drug. Potassium deficiency can lead to disorders of heart function and muscular weakness, especially with concurrent use of cardiac glycosides, diuretics, or corticosteroids.

No thank you! I already have a potassium deficiency and am being treated for it. The last thing I needed was to mess that up! I stopped drinking the tea after four days and my stomach went back to its usual somewhat touchy but never that bad self.

I offered the remaining tea to my sister but she was afraid to try it considering my experience (She was at the dinner party where I took off for the throne in mid sentence.). I tossed it out because my 15 year old is a tea drinker and I didn't want him to get his hands on the stuff thinking it was a yummy herbal tea like I usually stock.

This tea tastes OK but nothing special, is caffeine free, and all natural. It is supposed to be some sort of natural diet aide but it can cause some wicked stomach problems and I experienced them in spades. And the main ingredient is a laxative!

Never again. I'll stick with my green tea and other herbals I know and love. It's too scary to drink a tea that has warnings on it and that you have to gradually build up to drinking. That sounds way too much like OTC medicine to me and I don't need the hassle.

Ingredients

Tinnevelly Senna (cassia angustifolia), Hibiscus (hibiscus rosa-sinensis), Licorice Root (glycyrrhiza glabra), Althaea (althaea officinalis), Siberian Ginseng (eleutherococcus senticosus), Papaya (carica papaya), Honeysuckle (lonicera japonica), German Chamomile (chrysanthemum officinalis), Spices, Natural Flavor

Buying Info

This tea is available on many health food sites across the net as well as drugstore.com. There are a few varieties like Lemon Mist, Cinnamon, and regular flavor. I have not seen it in my local grocery store but I don't shop the diet aisles which are probably where this tea would be located. It costs $11.99 for 24 bags but you really get more than 24 cups out of it since you have to split one bag into two cups for at least a few days before going full strength. I never even got to that point before stopping it.

Conclusion

All natural isn't necessary all safe or superior to things with chemicals in them. Some herbs and roots can really make a person sick! Although I didn't get terribly ill from this tea, I experienced side effects that far outweighed any usefulness the tea gave me.

In fact, I noticed no appetitive suppressant qualities in this tea. It doesn’t elaborate as to why it is a dieter's tea or what it does to help you to lose weight. I honestly don't know whether it is an appetite suppressant, a metabolism booster, or you just lose weight because everything you eat for dinner runs out an hour later. At any rate, for me, this tea was ineffective and caused stomach problems.

I am rating this tea 1 star but everyone varies. You may have no side effects with this tea and it may do something to help you lose weight. What that is, I have no idea.

As a former Dietary Counselor, I would highly recommend that you use caution when drinking this or any other variety of this tea. Because it is all natural doesn’t mean it is all safe. The fact that you have to consult a doctor if you are pregnant, nursing, or have medical conditions tells me there is some danger in drinking this tea albeit probably small.

If you are not pregnant or nursing and in good heath, you may want to give this tea a shot and see what it does for you. However, be aware of the possible side effects and, if they don't go away in a day or two, stop drinking it. It's not worth the possible dehydration and electrolyte imbalance you can develop if you get diarrhea from this product.

Dieters would be better off drinking a large glass of water or eating an apple before their meals rather drinking this tea after, in my humble opinion.

Laci Le Beau - Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse with Acai Berry - 30 Tea Bags

Laci Le Beau - Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse with Acai Berry - 30 Tea Bags

Laci Le Beau - Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse with Acai Berry - 30 Tea Bags Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse with Acai Berry will help you achieve ...
LuckyVitamin.com

Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea-Apricot 30 Bag

Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea-Apricot 30 Bag

Super Dieters Tea-Apricot by Laci Le Beau 30 Bag Apricot The calming fruit flavor of juicy sun-ripened apricots Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea provide...
Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea, Original, Tea Bags, 15-count

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea, Original, Tea Bags, 15-count

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea, Original, Tea Bags, 15-Count

Laci Le Beau 923029 Super Dieters Tea All Natural Botanicals 30 Tea Bags

Laci Le Beau 923029 Super Dieters Tea All Natural Botanicals 30 Tea Bags

Laci Le Beau super dieter's tea cleanse dietary supplement, 2.63 oz, provides a unique combination of premium herbs, leaves and spices, including the ...

Laci Le Beau Maximum Strength Super Dieter's Tea

Laci Le Beau Maximum Strength Super Dieter's Tea

America's #1 Selling Dieter's TeaCaffeine Free Super Dieter's Tea from Laci Le Beau is the result of painstaking research and experimentation with hun...
Soap.com

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse (15 tea bags, Acai Berry) by Natrol

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse (15 tea bags, Acai Berry) by Natrol

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Cleanse will help you achieve the results you desire. All natural and caffeine free, no wonder it's America's #1 brand...
4AllVitamins

Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea Apricot 30-count Box (pack Of 4)

Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea Apricot 30-count Box (pack Of 4)

NEW Laci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea Apricot 30-Count Box (Pack of 4) - Brand NEW items - FREE standard shipping - Easy returns Our price $16.52 NOW ONL...

Laci Le Beau Maximum Strength Super Dieter's Tea Original -- 12 Tea Bags

Laci Le Beau Maximum Strength Super Dieter's Tea Original -- 12 Tea Bags

Dieting can be difficult, but it can also be satisfying. Especially with the help of Laci LeBeau's flavorful, all natural Super Dieter's Teas. Their t...
Vitacost.com

Laci Le Beau Teas Super Dieter's Tea Peppermint 30 Bags(s)

Laci Le Beau Teas Super Dieter's Tea Peppermint 30 Bags(s)

Super Dieter's Tea Peppermint 30 Bags(s) - Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Peppermint Tea cleanses and supports weight loss while eliminating impurities. ...
Swanson Health Products

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Original-30 Tea Bags

Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea Original-30 Tea Bags

From the Manufacturers Label: Naturally caffeine freeLaci Le Beau Super Dieters Tea blends natures finest botanicals to create a tea with inspiring ar...
Puritan's Pride®