Lansinoh For Breastfeeding Mothers Reviews

Lansinoh For Breastfeeding Mothers

I wish I knew about Lansinoh with my first two babies!

Aug 13, 2004 (Updated Apr 6, 2007)

Pros:It really makes a difference in enjoying breastfeeding

Cons:Expensive (but worth it), Stains clothes, Gets on Baby's face

The Bottom Line: A great product for nursing mothers!

I just delivered my third baby and am breastfeeding for the first time. For some reason I don't understand, much of the breastfeeding literature out there tells you that breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt. In reality, it should be expected that there will be some bumps along the way - particularly in the first few weeks while your nipples get used to spending a lot of time in a newborn's mouth. Of course, all pain should be evaluated - because a better latch or technique might make things easier. However, if you are suffering from cracked nipples in the first few weeks, and your technique is good, this is a product you must seriously consider trying.

ABOUT THE PRODUCT

The product is pure lanolin which comes from sheep and is very greasy. It is safe to use on your nipples and it doesn't have to be removed prior to nursing. It reminds me a bit of vaseline.

HOW TO USE IT

You can rub a small amount on your nipples when they are cracked or just sore. The lanolin feels very soothing and helps your skin to become flexible and heal. I apply a bit after each time I nurse the baby. I found that I only needed this product in the first couple of weeks of nursing but others may want to use it for longer than that. My only suggestion is that if you have ongoing or worstening pain, PLEASE see a lactation consultant, nurse or your pediatrician to evaluate your latch and technique. It is possible that a simple change could make much of your pain disappear.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT

It really gives great relief for sore, cracked nipples. Relief comes immediately and it can make the difference for some women to decide to keep nursing in those first few, tough weeks.

I like to put it on before I shower so the water in the shower doesn't cause further irritation.

A little goes a long way and a tube can last a few weeks even with frequent use. After a few weeks, you may find that your nipples have toughened up enough to stop using it.

WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT

The lanolin stains white bras so that each cup has a little yellowish/brown stain right over your nipple. I suspect some strong detergent or stain remover might get the stains off but I didn't want to use anything harsh so close to my skin or baby's food source. One solution is to put nursing pads into your bra but that is not preferable or comfortable for everyone.

If you use too much lanolin, your nipples get greasy and it can make it harder for a newborn to get or keep a latch. Moderation is the key here.

The lanolin gets on baby's face. This might actually be good for baby's skin but my baby was sporting a greasy sheen for a couple of weeks when I first started nursing.

It smells like a wet sheep.

It costs $9-10 per tube. You could probably find it cheaper but I was sporting a couple of cracked nipples at the time which, for once in my like, trumps bargain shopping.

OTHER USES

According to the packaging, you could use this product prenatally to make your nipples more resilient to nursing. I didn't use it this way and can't say whether it works but if I had thought of it in my ninth month, I would have tried it.

You can also use this product on the rest of your body the same way you would use other skin-softening products. However, given that there is no fragrance in this product and it is rather greasy, I wouldn't use it for other purposes. I have some left over and might consider using it on baby's bottom instead of diaper cream.

FINAL RECOMMENDATION

I love this product and it would be good for any nursing mother to try out in those first few weeks of breastfeeding. Some may even use it longer. It really made a big difference for me, and despite the few drawbacks, I strongly recommend it.

NEW BABY? HERE ARE SOME BABY PRODUCTS I HAVE REVIEWED:

STROLLERS: Maclauren Techno Stroller; Graco MetroLite LE Stroller; Cosco Eddie Bauer Lightweight Stroller

GEAR: Skip Hop Diaper Bag; Evenflo Snugli Baby Carrier; Infantino EuroRider Baby Carrier.

SLEEPING: Pali Sabrina Crib; Sozo USA bedding.

SOOTHING: MAM pacifiers; MAM pacifier keeper.

NURSING: Bravado Nursing Bra; Lansinoh nursing pads.

FEEDING: Avent Feeding Bottles; Take & Toss Infant Spoons; Nuby Sipper Gripper Cup; Dora the Exporer Insulated Straw Cups; Playtex Sipster Spill-Proof Cup; Take & Toss Bowls.

BATHING: The First Years Bath Tub/Bath Seat Combo; California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash.

BABY BOTTOMS: Burt’s Bees Diaper Ointment; Desitin Creamy; Balmex; California Baby Diaper Rash Cream; Weleda Diaper Care; Huggies Supreme Diapers; Playskool Cottony Cloth Wipes.

POTTY TRAINING: Graco Training Rewards Soft Seat Potty and Stepstool; Elmo’s Potty Time DVD; Huggies Clean Team Flushable Wipes; Huggies Clean Team Foaming Soap.

BABY SKIN: Mustela Hydra-Stick for lips and cheeks; Burt’s Bees Apricot Baby Oil.

TOYS: Tiny Love Symphony In Motion Mobile; Soft Teething Beads; Sassy Teething Wing Butterfly; Lamaze Clutch Cube;
Lamaze Freddie the Firefly.

BIRTH ANNOUNCEMENTS: Baby’s Here Birth Announcements.

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin Cream For Breastfeeding Mothers

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin Cream For Breastfeeding Mothers

For sale Lansinoh - HPA Lanolin Cream for Breastfeeding Mothers. The Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream is an ideal solution for breastfeeding mothers. This L...

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin Cream For Breastfeeding Mothers - 40 Gm

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin Cream For Breastfeeding Mothers - 40 Gm

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream for Breastfeeding Mothers - 40 Gm Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream for Breastfeeding Mothers - 40 Gm !!! Brand NEW !!! Original -...

Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers - .25 oz. tube

Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers - .25 oz. tube

Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers Lansinoh Cream Medical grade ultra-pure lanolin soothes and helps heal nipples, sore and cracked from brea...
AllegroMedical.com

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream for Breastfeeding Mothers 1.41 oz

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream for Breastfeeding Mothers 1.41 oz

Safe for baby - relief for momDon't let the discomfort of sore nipples take away from the joy of breastfeeding. Experience soothing relief with the wo...
Vitacost.com

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers, 1.3333 oz by Lansinoh

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers, 1.3333 oz by Lansinoh

Dont let the discomfort of sore nipples interrupt this special relationship. Experience soothing relief with Lansinoh HPA Lanolin. Hypoallergenic comp...
Herbspro.com

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers, 40 Grams

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers, 40 Grams

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream for Breastfeeding Mothers One of the most highly recommended nipple creams by lactation consultants is safe for both mom an...

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin Relief For Breastfeeding Mothers 2 Oz Size (56g) Large Size

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin For BreastFeeding Mothers Soothes, heals and protects dry, cracked skin.Safe for baby / Relief for mother Net Wt. 2 oz. / Brand N...

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers .25 Oz (7g) Mini Tube Cream

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers .25 Oz (7g) Mini Tube Cream

Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers .25 (7 g) New Size Lansinoh uses ultra-pure, medical-grade lanolin. Lansinoh Brand Lanolin is the only lano...
Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers - 1.41 Oz. (3 Pack)

Lansinoh Hpa Lanolin For Breastfeeding Mothers - 1.41 Oz. (3 Pack)

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers - 1.41 oz. (3 PACK)