Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater With Remote Control - 5840 Reviews

Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater With Remote Control - 5840

ratings (1 Epinions review)

LIKE IT BUT NOT WHY YOU THINK -Model 5840

Oct 6, 2010 (Updated Oct 27, 2010)

Pros:Sleek appearance
Good large button remote
Easy to See Graphics

Cons:Not Enough Heat  Too many lights

The Bottom Line: If you don't need much heat get it.  Larger room- forget it!

I picked it for its look and because one reviewer said its low setting is so marvelous.  Some of the models have legs vs what appeared to be a very stable base on this one and yes it fits flat against anything which is good.

It is still $30 less at Sam's Club than on Amazon and its model number is 5840 which for some reason Amazon is still not showing even though I've written to them twice.  The Lasko site doesn't list it and the only place to get really great pictures of it seems to still be Newegg dot com (where it isn't for sale) but is still listed.  You'll notice it isn't the OLD 5840.  Why Lasko would redesign the little white cube heater the model used to be and now make it a cyclonic silver tower, I have no clue.  Were they short on numbers?  Do they like making consumers confused?

As for how much it actually heats a room, I can't give it high marks.

I have a small bedroom, only 8x11.  It isn't a well insulated room.  Lousy window panes and its door does not close tightly.

In this setting this heater takes 4 hours to take this room from 75F degrees to 78-79F.  At 72F degrees the room won't go above 76F.  It does take the chill off the room and if you intend to be active in the space as in house cleaning or exercising then this heater will warm the room sufficiently.

I measured and found the actual stream of hot air can be felt to a radius of 46 inches and not an inch further.

However, when it is actually cold and the user is still, I don't know if this heater will produce heat that can be felt at all.

In far less time, my air conditioner, yes I said AC, Airwell Fedders AZEY08F2A 8000btu, with heat bar heats the very same room under the same conditions to the high sweaty eighties and it does that sitting mostly outside, in the cold exterior air of the building.

Yes indeed as one reviewer states it is EXCEPTIONAL on LOW due to the fan which pushes out almost as much heat on low as it does on high.  What that means though is this is the first heater I've ever witnessed that is noisier on low than it is on high!  I'm sensitive to sound.  If you are you won't be able to sleep with this unit near you on high and definitely not on low.  So to say its low is great isn't as much of a compliment as I had thought.  It only means this heater's HIGH is pathetic.

Now here's the weird function it does perform well.

Because its air output section is nice and high up off the floor you can sit next to it and blow air on an aching neck, back or hip!  I wish I could rotate the louvers even more (it rotates upwards but not downwards) to do my calves and feet.

So it might not heat a room worth a darn but you can you use it as a great arthritis treatment device.  I like it a whole lot more than handling a heating pad.  My family is lining up to sit next to the thing for physical therapy, joint treatment/aches and pains!

As for the stable base, it is top heavy and overall very light so it is just as easily knocked over as any tower.

A note about the lights all heaters have.  It seems that heater designers are frustrated EXIT SIGN creaters as if heaters don't have elements which glow bright red like fireplace embers they have a bunch of status lights blazing brightly.  I don't want any device which has even a remote chance of being in a bedroom to have a light I can't SHUT OFF.  This heater has a bright red power light that glows constantly.  It has a pretty red indicator for high heat output and a pretty orange indicator for low heat selection and then it has VERY BIG GREEN NUMBERS which let you see the room temperature (and that it hasn't risen much).  The ION feature displays as IONIZER in neon blue.  Its the dimmest and kindest to your eyes of all the LEDs. I need the ability to dim all of that to nothing.  Can't- so I unplug it instead!  Or put black electrical tape over the red power light {only}.  You don't want to use tape all over and make your pretty new appliance sticky or look like a redacted CIA document.  So just ONE PIECE.  Restraint!

I know safety is the reason for some of these runway lights, but furniture has been sitting on our floors for how many centuries and we haven't all run into or over any of it and none of our furniture has lights.  When was the last time you fell over your trash can?  So LIGHTS OUT PLEASE dear manufacturers!

REMOTE works well even at 6ft around a solid object.

COMPARISON TO OTHER HEATERS
IMAGES Folder http://photobucket.com/HEATERREVIEWS

Best of all time.
If you can find NEW-OLD stock BUY THIS HEATER.  Bionaire must have been insane to discontinue their Galileo line.  The only heaters ever to take the room temperature WHERE YOU ARE, not where the heater is.
Twin Tower Ceramic Cube
Bionaire heater w Galileo remote BCH3230,  superb on low
Quiet, Only wish the remote had better range.  Heater will shut off entirely if it can't access the remote's signal.  Images http://alturl.com/xqauo    http://alturl.com/guado

Second Best
Triple Ceramic
Bionaire heater w Galileo remote BCH4138  Image http://alturl.com/5v6s5

One of the Worst
Good Looking Black Twin Tower with NO hot air!
Bionaire heater bfh6616    Images http://alturl.com/8vtdc  http://alturl.com/ghezo

Now there are the SEABEEZE brand of small heaters.  These do throw a lot of heat and far enough to chap your nose and throat at 5ft.  But like HP, quality control is nil.  One of three I've purhchased worked all of five times then died!

Seabreeze Thermaflo Pulse heater White $59-65 SOH3003T-350 IS WHISPER QUIET but DEAD in 5 days Image  http://alturl.com/yy5qv

Seabreeze heater Smart Thermaflow Sweep SOH3003tA-Black
lasts and lasts and heats a large poorly insulated room well even with the bedroom door ajar.  Relatively quiet.  The A at the end is actually significant.  A SMART Thermaflow is not the same as the non-smart models.  See the seabreeze dot ca site for details.  Image http://alturl.com/5k68d

Seabreeze, THE HOTTEST OF THE BUNCH, Contempro Portable Smart Heat Sweep Heater - Red SOH7000TA LOUD AND POWERFUL and a few inches larger than the other Seabreezes.  Image http://alturl.com/gs4xn

For the price, which can be over one hundred dollars Seabreeze should be ashamed of the toothpick flimsy plastic tip which waves back and forth on some models as its indicator of the SWEEP technology they boast about.  You don't need that mini tongue sticking out.  It looks ridiculous and  breaks off soon after you begin to use the sweep heater.

Giving Lasko a break...
Lasko 5560 An older tower model produced plenty warmth, much much more than this 5840, was quiet and didn't have a racetrack worth of lights, but fell over all the time due to its shape!  Image http://alturl.com/ppfgb

Lasko 5840

Lasko 760000 Cyclonic Ceramic Heater With Multi-function Remote Control

Lasko 760000 Cyclonic Ceramic Heater With Multi-function Remote Control

The Lasko 760000 heater features Cyclonic Heat Action that gives instant comfort. This Lasko ceramic heater has the capability to spread the warmth in...

Lasko Cyclonic Digital Ceramic Heater

Lasko Cyclonic Digital Ceramic Heater

Lasko Cyclonic Digital Ceramic Heater with multi function remote control. Easy to use Comfort Select Controls. Large Digital Read Out, Easy-Reach Heig...
Lasko« Cyclonic Digital Ceramic Heater With Remote Control Electric Space Heater

Description The Lasko® Cyclonic Heater effectively circulates warm air throughout your entire room. Its glide-system pivot allows you to direct warm ...

Lasko 5840 Cyclonic Room Heater With Remote Control

New on eBay I apprecite your business :-) NEW Lasko 5840 Cyclonic Room Heater with Remote Control Buy it now price $107.63 $144.95 Description Cycloni...

Portable Home Office Lasko Cyclonic Room Heater W/ Remote Control

Portable Home Office Lasko Cyclonic Room Heater W/ Remote Control

Cyclonic heater action for immediate comfort Cyclonic heater action for penetrating warmth Multi-function remote control (batteries not included) Glid...

Lasko 5840 Cyclonic Room Heater With Remote Control

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Lasko 5840 Cyclonic Room Heater with Remote Control Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item Description...

Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater Ceramic 1500 W/750 W Beige

Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater Ceramic 1500 W/750 W Beige

The intelligently engineered Cyclonic heater effectively circulates warm air throughout your entire room. Its glide-system pivot allows you direct war...

Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater Adjustable Thermostat Space Portable Room Electric

Lasko Heater. 1500-Watt Cyclonic Ceramic Portable Heater 758000

Lasko Heater. 1500-Watt Cyclonic Ceramic Portable Heater 758000

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. Cyclonic Ceramic Heater effectively circulates warm air throughout your entire room. Glide-syst...
Home Depot

Lasko Ceramic Room Heater with Remote

Lasko Ceramic Room Heater with Remote

Find indoor heaters at Target.com! Lasko ceramic room heater with remote