Learning Resources Five Senses Bingo Game Reviews

Learning Resources Five Senses Bingo Game

Five Senses Bingo from Learning Resources

Mar 6, 2008 (Updated Mar 6, 2008)

Pros:*Easy to play
*Quick and easy set-up, clean-up
*Educational too!

Cons:*Explaining which things to cover for sense of sight can be confusing for younger children

The Bottom Line: Learning Resources Five Senses Bingo is a fun way to teach about the five senses while playing quick games of Bingo with young children

Recently I went to workshop on Literacy and was very pleased to be the recipient of a door prize! I was very pleased to receive Learning Resources Five Senses Bingo.

I was really anxious to try this game with my daycare children, ages 2 1/2 – 7 years old. Now the age recommendation is 5 and up, so I knew that the younger two children might not fully understand how to play but we gave it a go anyways.

Out of the Box

In this green small 7” x 9” x 1” box there is

4 double sided Bingo Cards
36 Game Markers
1 Double Sided Spinner
Game Instructions

The bingo cards have the Free space in the middle like regular bingo cards do and then have 3 squares down and 3 across for game play. On one side there are pictures of things like a dog, soda can, cell phone, cake, air freshener, cactus, tennis shoes. On the opposite side in orange the words are written, so the cards say taste, smell, sight, touch, hear. The cards are a heavy laminated feeling cardboard that are sturdy and not easily torn although I’m sure a determined child could tear them if they had a mind to.

The spinner is also two sided and on the brighter side it has the words for the five senses written. On the opposite side in orange there are a hand, nose, lips, ear and eye.

The bingo markers are small circular laminated cardboard circles that have the word bingo written on them and have a green top half and orange bottom half.

The directions give you the basics of playing bingo and also offer a couple of options for ways to play. One option is to use the Sight as a wild spot and can be used to cover at any time or you can limit this sense to only when no other sense could be used to cover it. The example the instructions give is a photo album is meant to be looked at.

In the directions there is also a small paragraph about each of the senses.

Game Play

Someone is designated to be the spinner, but I think taking turns spinning is more fun for the children, and then depending on what the pointer lands on you cover a corresponding picture for whatever sense was named. For instance, if the pointer lands on hearing and you have a boom box you would put your marker over that.

The directions suggest writing down the senses that have been called so that someone doesn’t cover one that hasn’t been used. I think this is overkill. Since the game is limited to 4 players and generally one of them will probably be an adult keeping track is pretty easy.

If the orange side of the spinner and card are being used after you spin and land on the nose, you would find the corresponding word Smell on your card and cover that.

The first one to get 3 in a row either across or diagonally says Bingo and wins that round.

Our Feelings

This is a very simple version of Bingo and can be played in under a minute per round so it is a game that you can play while waiting for something or when you just have a few minutes to play a game. Since there isn’t a lot of set-up either it is a quick and easy game to get out and to clean up afterward. Just put the cards and spinner back in to the box and scoop up the markers that were used.

When I played with the younger two children, ages 2 and 4, we kept the sense of sight as a wild space but did talk about the things you would use to see with, like binoculars, magnifying glass etc. The youngest wasn’t totally able to understand how to play but she had fun covering the spots I told her to cover. This worked her dexterity in picking up the small markers and she had fun so while she may not totally understand the game it is a valuable way for her to begin learning about the senses.

4 year old Sonny enjoyed the game much more and other than getting a bit frustrated if he didn’t win, he had a good time.

7 year old Sammi really loved this game and we play for about 15 minutes at a time. She loves getting to yell Bingo and is able to accept that she won’t always win either. We were able to talk a lot about each of the senses and we played using the first option of having to only cover something that is specific to the sense of sight. She is old enough to understand this and would point out to me which ones would work. This is good reinforcement of the 5 senses and its fun too!

This summer when the school-agers are out of school I think this will be a great game for them to entertain themselves while the littler children take their nap…if I can keep them from yelling Bingo too loud!

Initially I wasn’t really sold on this game but as we’ve played it more I do think it is fun and quick and educational as well so therefore would recommend it for children around 5 years and up. It probably won’t hold older children’s attention for very long, but it is fun for a few minutes and I do like that it teaches about the 5 senses too.

Amount Paid (US$): Free!
Type of Toy: Board Game
Age Range of Child: Whole Family

Learning Resources Teaching Cash Register Multicolor - LER2690

Shop for Banking and Shopping from Hayneedle.com! About Learning ResourcesA leading manufacturer of innovative hands-on educational materials and lear...

Learning Resources Pretend And Play Calculator Cash Register, Free Shipping,

Learning Resources Pretend And Play Calculator Cash Register, Free Shipping,

Learning Resources Pretend Play Calculator Cash Reg Features:Working solar-powered cash register with LCD display Features extra large buttons and sto...

Learning Resources Pretend & Play School Set Multicolor - LER2642

Shop for Learning and Education from Hayneedle.com! About Learning ResourcesA leading manufacturer of innovative, hands-on educational materials and l...

Hayneedle

Learning Resources Pretend and Play Calculator Cash Register Multicolor - LER2629

Shop for Banking and Shopping from Hayneedle.com! The perfect addition for any pretend store the Learning Resources Pretend and Play Calculator Cash R...

Learning Resources Word Whiz Electronic Flash Card

Learning Resources Word Whiz Electronic Flash Card

The Learning Resources Word Whiz Electronic Flash Card device challenges kids to build as many three-, four- and five-letter words as they can in 60 s...

Learning Resources Pretend & Play Doctor Set Multicolor - LER9048

Learning Resources Pretend & Play Doctor Set Multicolor - LER9048

Shop for Medical from Hayneedle.com! About Learning ResourcesA leading manufacturer of innovative, hands-on educational materials and learning toys, L...