-8%
Learning Resources Gears Gears Gears Reviews

Learning Resources Gears Gears Gears

+$4.99 shipping Hayneedle
Fat Brain Toys

Gears! Gears! Gears! is fun fun fun!

Dec 26, 2007

Pros:fun, colorful, engaging, educational, reasonably priced, encourages creativity

Cons:some pieces are hard to fit together and take apart

The Bottom Line: This item is recommended to moms and dads who want toys that will keep their child busy for some time and teach the child something in a fun way.

What it is:
This toy is a set of plastic gears, connectors, cranks and platforms to create different structures with actual moving gears. All the parts are bright colored. It is recommended by the manufacturer (Learning Resources) for children ages 3-10. There are supposed to be a load of learning benefits, too.

The good:
(a) the price was right ($19.99)
(b) it is an educational toy, it teaches how gears work
(c) it’s not made in China (I called Learning Resources and they said it is made in Korea solely)
(d) very engaging for children (and adults)
(e) the bright colors get the attention of young children
(f) encourages creativity without the use of templates

The bad:
(a) some pieces fit very tightly together and consequently are hard to put together and take apart

My experience:
I bought this item for my daughter who is 3 years old as a Christmas gift. Once I read reviews on different sites, I was convinced that this was the toy for my child.

After speaking with a co-worker, I doubted myself and wondered if I should have gotten a more “traditional” toy for Christmas. But I had already received this set and it was too late to return it and get something else. So I wrapped it and left it under the tree. When she opened this gift on Christmas day, she lit up like the lights on the tree.

I am so glad that I did not have the opportunity to exchange this toy. She loves it. She spends long periods of time making different creations. I can see her trying to figure out how to place the gears to make different parts move. Her father and I also enjoyed playing with this toy with her. It is so much fun! The only annoying thing about this toy is that some of the pieces fit very tightly together so it is difficult to put them together and take them apart.

My daughter likes this toy so much that I am considering getting one of the themed sets for her.

Type of Toy: Educational
Age Range of Child: 3 to 5 Years

Perfect for the curious child. A significant learning toy for developing early exploration. Building, imaginative thinking, logical planning, and mov...
Fat Brain Toys
The perfect introduction to building toys, this colorful 95-piece set includes gears, pillars, connectors, cranks to set creations in motion and inter...
Gears Gears Gears Beginner's Building Set is the perfect introduction to building toys. This colorful 95 piece set includes gears, pillars, connectors...
Toys R Us
Shop for Building Sets from Hayneedle.com! Help your child develop fine motor skills with the hands-on construction play of the Learning Resources Gea...
Hayneedle