LiceOut Lice Immobilizing Gel

Lubricate Hair Shaft, Immobilize BUGS, Get LICE NITS OUT with LiceOut Immobilizing Gel

Sep 21, 2005 (Updated Sep 22, 2005)

Pros:Odorless, Non-Toxic

Cons:Not a one-time removes all remedy.

The Bottom Line: LiceOut Lice Immobilizing Gel, partnered with a LiceOut comb, is a non-toxic, odorless, non-sticky, grease-less method of Lice and Nit removal.

Unfortunately, last Spring our family had to deal with Lice. Thankfully there are products available to assist with this exasperating process. The local health department confirmed that our youngest daughter had nits and provided us with a bottle of LiceOut Immobilizing Gel and a LiceOut comb. This nontoxic product contains zero harmful/dangerous pesticides, is easy to apply, and simple to wash out, if only the comb out process was simple *sigh*. Although this product is not a cure, or rather it doesn't kill lice and nits, it slows the Lice down and it lubricates the hair shaft, assisting with the proven method of getting rid of Lice and Nits... comb, comb, comb!

I recommend LiceOut Immobilizing Gel and actually I now keep a new bottle on hand (but hope I don't ever have to use it again). It is very important that you understand this gel must be used with a fine-tooth comb, as it is the combing process that provides nit removal success. Also, you must realize that a solo use of this product (or any Lice treatment) is unlikely to get rid of every nit or louse. It is recommended that you gel and comb for 21 days. Please follow this recommendation. Too often people think they are dealing with a lice reinfestation, but it is highly likely they never got rid of all of the nits in the first place.

DETAILS
One morning last Spring, after styling my daughters hair, (a zig part down the middle and pigtails to the side) I noticed that a tiny bug was crawling on the top of her head. Considering that merely two days prior the dance studio owner had warned me that a younger dancer, who liked to hug on my daughter, had been diagnosed with lice, I was instantly mortified. I instructed my daughter to hold still. I then picked up the bug, and put it into a baggie (zipped shut of course).

At this point my daughter realized what was transpiring and broke into tears: sobbing and trembling. She loathes bugs of any kind. After calming her down, I phoned our local health department. Although I was fairly certain that the 'bug' was most likely a louse, I didn't want to be sure, so I simply inquired with regard to if they could look at it and possibly confirm. They stated that they needed to see the 'patient' and instructed me to bring my daughter in. I am actually glad that I did this, as the nurses were so helpful, calm, knowledgeable and very kind. They examined my daughter, and confirmed she had Lice/Nits. My daughter and I viewed a video together, which seemed to calm her and provided good information with regard to how to deal with this situation.

We were given (for a small charge) a bottle of LiceOut Immobilizing Gel (our local health departments highly recommended product for Lice/Nit removal), a LiceOut Comb, and a booklet: Lice Aren't Nice.

My Mother, a Cosmetologist and Salon owner, happened to be closed that day, and instructed us to come over. We placed a plastic cape around my daughters neck, and proceeded to follow directions listed in the Lice Aren't Nice booklet and back of the product bottle.

After placing the Lice Out Immobilizing Gel onto her hair, I slightly altered the directions, as the booklet recommended to part the hair into four sections, and I knew this wasn't enough for my daughters very thick, naturally curly, and long hair. I sectioned as though I was preparing to give a perm (Cosmetology experience came in handy). Although I had placed the gel all over her hair, I found it necessary to place more on each section. The gel is odorless and unlike typical hair gel, it is non-sticky. My daughter has sensory issues, so this odorless gel was much preferred over other methods. This product lubricates the hair shaft, making it easier to slide the fine-toothed comb through the hair, thus removing the nits (unhatched louse eggs). Normally lice crawl fast, often disappearing within neighboring hairstrands before you see them or can catch them. The gel makes it more difficult for them to scurry away.

After combing through every section (in approximate 1" sections), you will shampoo, condition and dry the hair. The gel easily washes out, with any shampoo. I prefer Paul Mitchell Tea Tree, as it is thought that Lice don't like Tea Tree Oil. Importantly, you must repeat the comb through daily, for twenty-one days.

Now then I want to be certain to share that I feel this gel was a good first step in our battle, but we immediately followed it with use of HairClean 1-2-3 Head Lice Treatment. A step that I am thankful we took. You see, this led to additional Lice and Nits removal. So while the Lice Out Immobilizing Gel assisted, it was merely one step in our battle.

I will also share that I have a friend who successfully used just this gel and a comb, albeit her childs hair is straight, styled in a short bob and rather fine textured.

All things considered, I recommend this gel as a safe, odor-free, in-expensive LICE OUT option. But, as mentioned, caution that this is not a one-time removes all solution.

========================
For more information about our battle please read Use a Fine Tooth Comb, Keep Nit Picking.... What You Should Know About Lice
LiceOut Immobilizing Gel
PRODUCT STATEMENT/CLAIMS
(As Per Packaging)
Recent studies indicate lice are building a resistance to pesticidal treatments.
The LiceOut gel treatment system is a FDA registered medical device.
LiceOut is a doctor and school nurse recommended louse removal treatment.
LiceOut is nontoxic and contains no harmful or dangerous pesticides!

LiceOut louse treatment is a safe, water-based gel that captures and immobilizes lice while lubricating the hair shaft so that their unhatched eggs will slide off easily. It is non-sticky, greaseless, odorless and gentle enough to use on adults, babies, children and pregnant women. LiceOut rinses from hair completely with water, leaving hair manageable and free from residue. It is so easy and safe, it may be used daily if necessary.
DIRECTIONS
1.) Wet hair in sink. Place a sheet or large towel under the chair and seat the person with head lice in the chair. Remember that nits are very small so make sure that you are in a place with good lighting.
2.) Dry the hair with a towel or hair dryer until it is completely dry. The heat will help loosen the nits from the hair.
3.) Wet the hair again and comb out tangles with a regular tooth comb.
4.) Place/Comb LiceOut Immobilizing Gel throughout hair.
5.) Part hair into four sections and pin with clips.
6.) Pick one section. Starting at the top of this section, lift a one inch wide strand of hair and place the teeth of the nit comb as close to the scalp as possible. Make sure the teeth of the comb are deep into the strand of hair. Pull the nit comb through the strand of hair.
7.)Nits that are difficult to remove may be scraped off by moving the nit comb up and down the hair shaft starting at the scalp. Wipe the comb off, with a tissue, after each stroke through the hair.
8.)Pin back each section of hair after removing the nits.
9.)Repeat steps 5-7 to the remaining 3 sections of hair. If the hair becomes dry, dampen with a little water.
10.)After picking all the lice and nits you can see, rinse the hair with water to wash out any loose nits.
11.)Dry the hair with a clean towel or hair dryer, then check the entire head for nits you may have missed.
12.)Pick the nits twice a day for two weeks, even if you don’t see nits!
13.)Have the person who was treated change into clean clothes.

Thank you for reading!