Life Fitness X9i Cross Trainer Reviews

Life Fitness X9i Cross Trainer

Are you Cross? Concerned about Your Life? Train on the X9i.

Mar 10, 2006

Pros:Lots of bells and whistles; smooth and quiet; 20 programs.

Cons:The price.

The Bottom Line: Life Fitness in general makes great equipment. The X9i is one of those pieces.

The Life Fitness X9i Cross-Trainer was one of the Life Fitness machines I used while at Ladies Express Workout. This model is in the home use group but is considered “health-club quality.”

Elliptical machines have come to be thought of as much gentler on one’s joints than a treadmill. In general I find them one of the least boring pieces of cardio equipment. The X9i is pricey at a retail price of $4200. I have never talked with anyone who owned a Life Fitness machine who regretted spending that kind of money.

Information on the Life Fitness X91:

The X9i weighs 235 pounds which is a bit heavier than others I have reviewed such as the Precor EFX 5.19 Crosstrainer which at $2800 I did not recommend.

The X9i measures 83 inches long by 28 inches wide by 61 inches high. This is also a larger machine than the one above. The maximum user weight is 350 pounds which is a nice higher-than- most number.

The pedals are big measuring 16 inches long by 7 inches wide. The pedals turn up at the front and the back. Most do at this point but if you are looking at older models you may see some that don’t. I have found ones that don’t allow my foot to slide in uncomfortable. Even with a good tread on the pedal my foot can slip off. I don’t have to worry about that on the X9i.

The X9i has moving arms. This feature is great for those of you who only do cardio work and don’t intend to do any weight training. The moving arms did work my upper body. The moving arms are particularly helpful to use as a warm up before I weight trained. This machine however has the arms linked to the pedals. This has two implications.

1. I can move one side without the other which is true in all cases.
2. My arms can move my legs and vice versa. Let me give you an example. I was in spinning class the other day. This is a class done on stationary bikes with an instructor and music. Katie always comments on how important breathing is during biking. This time she told us about a man she knows. He is paralyzed but uses a bike. How? He uses one with arms and the arms move his legs. So that is the risk with a machine like this. If you buy this one or any one that works this way just make sure you aren’t cheating- unless of course you are doing so for physical reasons.

I found the X9i to be smooth and quiet but I would expect no less from a Life Fitness machine especially at this price.

Other than the moving arms there are also U-shaped handles which I liked a lot. They were in a good position and comfortable to hold. I still found myself bending forward a bit as I do on all elliptical machines. I am searching for one that allows me to pedal and hold onto handles without scrunching my shoulders or leaning.

The console:

Next to the handles are two integrated areas for items such as a water bottle, CD player. I found a magazine rack as well. Yes, your magazine will cover the console but I cannot think of one machine out of the hundreds that I have been on with a console and magazine rack that works any other way.

The X9i happily has not only a built in heart rate monitor but another feature that is become more common. This is the ability to use a wireless chest strap which comes with the machine. Using this means that I didn’t have to move my hands from the moving arms for example to know what my heart rate was.

The display console shows me my distance, speed, calories, time, level of resistance, my heart rate and my target heart rate. I have been on machines that tell me my target heart rate and love that feature. What happens is after I have input my data and picked a program I now have a target heart rate. Let’s say it is 150. If I was not at 150 there is a workout feedback display on the console that told me I have to speed up.

The X9i has a more than respectable 20 programs on it. I found hills, which work in intervals and get more and more difficult; random programs; various heart rate controlled and cardio workouts; a manual workout in which I chose my own levels of resistance and speed; (Remember you can always use the up and down arrows during any program to change levels.) and a feature I don’t recall ever seeing called On-The-Fly Programming. There have been many times that I have wanted to change programs but couldn’t. On the X9i I could change from one program to another without starting all over and losing all my data. I also found a customized cool down feature. On many machines there is no cool down; some have 1 minute cool downs; some just count down from five. This one counted down depending on the program I had chosen.

My thoughts and rating:

The Life Fitness 9xi is certainly a magnificent piece of equipment. I can’t rate it any thing less than 5 stars in spite of the price tag. It may be that the 5 stars is because of the price tag though in all fairness I have rated inexpensive machines 5 stars. However I don’t think anything can beat the durability and stability that Life Fitness offers.

I would suggest that if you can pay someone to assemble it do so unless you assemble things for a living!

Other elliptical reviews:

Precor Crosstrainer 5.19Precor Elliptical Crosstrainer 5.17iStar Trac Elite
Reebok RL 900Cybex Arc TrainerPrecor EFX546 Elliptical Trainer

All of my fitness equipment reviews can be found here.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions or if I've left out something you want to know please leave me a question or comment. jo

Life Fitness 95Xi Elliptical Cross Trainer- Remanufactured

This Life Fitness 95Xi Elliptical is commercial, and fully remanufactured.
Life Fitness X1 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Gray 16 x 7

Life Fitness X1 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Gray 16 x 7

The X1 gives you everything you need for a total-body workout with everything you expect from a Life Fitness Elliptical Cross-Trainer. The Link6 ellip...

$1999.99

Life Fitness E1 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Machine - E1-XX00-0105

Life Fitness E1 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Machine - E1-XX00-0105

Smooth Comfort/ Oversized Non-Slip Pedals/ Integrated Accessory Tray/ WhisperStride Technology/ 20 Resistance Levels/ Heart Rate Monitoring/ 14 Workou...

Life Fitness 95Xi Elliptical Cross Trainer- Remanufactured

This Life Fitness 95Xi Elliptical is commercial, and fully remanufactured.
Life Fitness E3 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Machine - E3-XX00-0105

Life Fitness E3 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Machine - E3-XX00-0105

Attention To Comfort/ Coach Zone/ Oversized Non-Slip Pedals/ 2 Cup Holders/ WhisperStride Technology/ 20 Resistance Levels/ Heart Rate Monitoring/ 14 ...

First Degree Fitness Evolution E-720 Fluid Cross Trainer Exercise

First Degree Fitness Evolution E-720 Fluid Cross Trainer Exercise

First Degree Fitness Evolution E-720 Fluid Cross Trainer Exercise Machine
Newegg.com

Life Fitness Club Series CSX Elliptical Cross Trainer Black Oversized

Life Fitness Club Series CSX Elliptical Cross Trainer Black Oversized

The Life Fitness Club Series Elliptical Cross-Trainer offers a health club level total-body cardiovascular workout. Built for comfort, it is a proven ...

Life Fitness X1 Elliptical Trainer With Track Console

Life Fitness X1 Elliptical Trainer With Track Console

Home Commercial Exercise Equipment | Fitness Direct Call Us: 1-800-771-2730 Enter your search keyword Visit Our Store About Us Shipping Gallery Contac...

$1979.00

Life Fitness E5 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Machine - E5-XX00-0105

Life Fitness E5 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Machine - E5-XX00-0105

Serious Comfort/ Activity Zone/ Moving Handlebars/ Oversized Non-Slip Pedals/ 2 Cup Holders/ Integrated Accessory Tray/ WhisperStride Technology/ 20 R...

Milo Fitness Jump Board - Accessory For Txt Total Cross Trainer

Milo Fitness Jump Board - Accessory For Txt Total Cross Trainer

Click to view full size Full Size Image Click to close full size. Milo Fitness Jump Board - Accessory for TXT Total Cross Trainer Description Specific...