Linksys WCG200 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router Reviews

Linksys WCG200 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Linksys ... not [exactly] a Cisco-branded product.

Jan 17, 2006 (Updated Jan 17, 2006)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:All-in-one unit with easy setup which, in theory, promises an uncluttered home solution.

Cons:Poor cable connection (WAN) reliability requiring manual resets. Settings spontaneously reset.

The Bottom Line: I would avoid this unit because of its pathetic cable modem connection reliability and inability to correctly reconnect without a power cycle.

DISCLAIMER:
I'm not against all-in-one solutions and for many home users a wireless cable-modem gateway with a default-on firewall/router and WAP WiFi support may be the perfect choice on a tight budget. However, I would avoid the Linksys WCG200 -- if even to try another Linksys cable modem gateway product (they have at least two VERY SIMILAR models) as I have not had many issues with their other SoHo network products in the past.

The Linksys WCG200 cable modem/router/firewall/WiFi access point/4-port switch is a waste of the space it occupies. I initially purchased the unit thinking that an all-in-one solution would simplify my home network...

...I was wrong. (And, to make up for it, I returned it to the store within the week.)

1) THE CABLE MODEM HAS POOR CONNECTION RELIABILITY

After initial setup the cable modem would lose connection randomly every 30 to 90 minutes and, even though it would attempt a normal reconnect sequence, it would not reconnect without manually cycling the power. (I know this is not the cable companies fault because the Motorola SURFboard 5120 cable modem I replaced the WCG200 with has had no problem maintaining a connection. My cable connection power levels are also within specifications as tested by the Charter technicians and reported by both the SURFboard and WCG200 modems.)

2) "RANDOM" SETTING RESETS

After 4 days of using the WCG200 gatway the device RESET my wireless configuration to default settings. This, logically, broke my WiFi setup (WEP keys, SSID, etc) causing much annoyance as I dug for an ethernet cable. I am not willing to periodically re-configure "lost settings".

3) NO NEW FIRMWARE UPDATES

It seems like this device isn't really supported ... either that or Linksys won't admit the flaws/knows they can't be firmware-patched.

Driver Availability: Other

POWER SUPPLY AC-DC 12V 1A for Linksys WCG200-CA Wireless-G Cable Modem Gateway w/ Built-In Wireless-G Router 8FT Long Cord Product Features Power: DC ...

Power: DC 12V 1A Adapter Rating input: 100V~ 240V Line frequency: 50Hz/60HzOur adapters manufactured with the highest quality materials and include la...